Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Headless smells so freaking good! From the bottle I get spicy peppercorns and smokey or charred… without smelling like a barbecue or a campfire. The leather is there, but not overpowering. And I’m guessing the amber will come through once applied, on the dry down. But that’s just a guess.

After application the leather makes it way to the forefront and is a pretty dominant note on the skin. Although after it dries down the amber beautifully makes an appearance. I layered this with Sugared Lace to soften it up and it is absolutely gorgeous. 

WOW.

Total black musk vibes even though that isn't here. I'm getting a Halloween brimstone version of Streets of Detroit and I am LOVING it.

Leather is very muted for me at this stage but I will update after more wear. 

Updated with drydown - I don't get any strong leather, which for me is amazing! Dark, dark and musky with sweet amber and that very special touch of pepper and brimstone.

Edited by elissamay

2nd time trying. First time was right out of the box and I was too enamored with Lady of Saintonge on the same day to give a respectable review.

Okay, other than the spicy cinnamon-like burn reaction on my skin from the red peppercorn I freakin love this! Today I'm trying it on my inner elbow, and as soon as it hit my skin, I knew it would burn like many cinnamon blends do, so if you are sensitive to this, I would wear this in a locket or over a dab of vaseline, or just not on sensitive areas like your damn elbow, lol. Upper shoulder the other day not much reaction.

The red peppercorn actually does smell like a halfway step between pepper and cinnamon but you're not gonna smell like you sleep in the spice cabinet. Overall this is basically spooky, spicy brimstone, with warm amber keeping this wearable and not strictly atmospheric, with a hint of soft, black leather. If you like Gingerbread and Leather, this is less sweet and bready, less leather, even more unisex, and the spice is stronger but more linear than the gingerbread spice, albeit similar. Oof. I don't know who's sexier, honestly.

I love it. I've been hoping we'd get more Sleepy Hollow blends and this delivered in spades. It's spooky, gritty, spicy, leathery, brimstony, and the smoke is gunpowdery. Warm yet dark. It's basically everything I could've wanted from this. I like the idea above about layering with something sweet. Share's some similarities with Mary Read in the gunpowder aspect.

It's just so 18th spooky bullshit.

This is gonna turn heads...wait...

Heads gon roll. :lol:

You get a roll! You get a roll! Everybody gets a roll! Cinnamaroll! I'll stop my room's hot and I'm bored okay?

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

My Halloween '23 favorite so far. Headless reminds me of 'Tis Strange, which I'm obsessed with. I don't know exactly what's in here that scratches my nosebrain itch, but it's one of those that I smell and just go, YES, YES this is IT. I only get a hint of leather, which I'm totally fine with, just was expecting that to be stronger since it's listed first. The best is the dense smoky gunpowdery part which just gets more prominent after drying. So good. 

This is way nicer and subtler on me than I thought it would be. It's mostly brimstone and dark amber sitting on a nice leather chair, and not particularly spicy or leathery. Not even excessively smoky. Just kinda smoldering. Whew.

this has settled for a few weeks now, so here's my speedrun at reviewing the weenies I received before they're gone from the shop.

first off, the throw is INSANE, which I appreciate greatly. freshly on the backs of my hands, it's smokey and charred, like a bonfire or the smell from a grill. It's got a hint of sweetness, a sweet smoke, and it's not dry. kind of smells like incense due to the sweet amber + smoke. I wish I could make out the pepper more, which was the primary reason I picked this scent, since I LOVE pepper in my perfumes (shoutout to Glossier You). it's more peppery in the bottle, so I know it's there. the cinnamon-y nature of the blood note comes out a bit and adds an extra layer of yum. just so yum.

Goes on a little smoky, but more of a sweet, amber incense haze and charred resins rather than the woodsmoke or burning coals that I was worried the brimstone might be.  The pepper and leather are smooth and warm.  The whole scent smells warm and cozy to me. 
As it dries down, more of the black leather comes through (and I love bpal's leather notes) and it makes the scent smell darker.  The leather and smoke have a sexy, dangerous vibe to me.  It also turns a little sweeter on me over time, reminding me of a charred marshmallow.  The spice/peppercorn isn't strong on me at all; I can barely smell it at all, especially in the drydown.

Black leather, resinous amber, incense smoke and charred myrrh, and sweet marshmallow char.  I don't tend to enjoy smoky blends, but I love this.