Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kashmira

The Three Cocks

Red musk and belladonna blossom for Hel’s red rooster, amber and copal for Gullinkambir, and pimento-soaked red clove for Fialar.

Of all the Ragnarok scents, this is the one I was most interested in trying. In the bottle, I smell a deep, herbal-root smell with a tinge of clove. On my skin, the clove is at the forefront, with some amber and perhaps belladonna in the background.
As it settles on my skin, the clove starts to slowly recede to the background, letting copal be more noticeable. Overall, though, the clove is mostly dominant on my skin, which is nice.
The red musk doesn't come out until much later in the drydown and even then, it is not as strong as it normally is.
After the initial blast of clove, this tends to be a 'sticks close to my skin' scent and doesn't seem to have a huge amount of throw.

Overall, I definitely like this one, though I hope with time the clove settles a bit.

Holy fargle!

This is so spicy!

And it reminds me of... (showing my age)... Three Witches.

It's sweet-ish, and a bit more musky, but has a beautiful dry, spicy scent. It's in the family of Wrath without being so sweet, and is a husky, very raw aroma. It's not pretty, but it is spicy, and it is made of cocks!

Ok, talking about cocks distracted me from describing the scent further. Rich, red, kind of... red-orange in color, smells peppery (pimento?), and the ginger and cubeb I would say are much more potent than the resin amber. I don't get much floral at all from this. Clove is really pretty. Skin scent, but spicy enough that I could probably NOT get away with this at work.

I think I need to buy... TWENTY SEVEN COCKS.

Edited by Lycanthrope

As kashmira said, this is primarily clove, red musk and copal. I’m pretty sure the clove would be overwhelming if it weren’t for the musk, but it gets smoothed out quite a bit. And boy is it musky musk musk.

Not heavy or animalistic per se, but somehow… earthy without smelling like earth.

The copal adds some sweetness but stays fairly light. I would call this is a warm, comforting scent with some heat from the spices.

Herbal, peppery, clovey red musk. I swear I smell cinnamon even though it's not listed. I don't really get copal here-- but then I amp red musk like crazy.

This was the Ragnarok scent I was most excited to try. Red musk and clove are two of my favorite notes and I'm not so sure if I've ever experienced red clove before.

When I first apply this to my skin I get a gorgeous, fiery blast of red musk and ginger. After only a few moments, the initial blast of red, hot ginger subsides to allow the clove to come through. This truly is a RED clove. It's gingery, slightly peppery, has a kiss of cinnamon and pairs so seamlessly with the red musk. I have a tendency to amp clove as well…the middle phase is ALL red clove and red musk on my skin. On my boyfriend, however, this is more of a lightly spiced red musk with clove in the background.

The copal and amber aren't really present until about an hour later, providing a glorious base for the red musk and clove to lay upon. However, clove and red musk never stop being the stars of the show here. :wub2: I'm definitely going to need a bottle of this one. Fans of red musk, resins and clove, you're gonna need The Cocks, STAT!

In the imp: Sweet and incensey. Not what I was expecting from it.

Wet on skin: Sweet and incensey... with a touch of something else, and I'm not sure what that is.

Dried down: Hmmmmm, sweet and beautifully spicy. I love it!

Throw: This one has a little throw to it.

Verdict: ***** Yeah, this is beautiful, and a little different. Need more.

the decant smells fantastic. it smells sweet, juicy and dark. on my skin it quickly turns to clove and ambery copal. kind of powdery, but not unpleasant. it eventually dries down into a close to the skin scent. It doesn't wow me, but i kind of like it.

Purchased two imps in a decant circle.

IN THE IMP: Very sharply acrid with a tiny touch of cola. Without seeing the notes, I would have actually thought there was some patchouli in here.

Dabbed on one wrist.

WET: Sharp and metallic, but that is how clove smells on me before it dries down so I can be patient. Spicy hot clove-metal. A good fit for this series.

DRYDOWN: And ... 3-2-1, cloves. Yay. I do love cloves. And on final drydown, just ... sorta ... clovey.

OVERALL: This was a tough call. Of the four Ragnarok scents I got, it's the only one I'd even consider keeping but ... I have lots of other great clove scents that are much more "me." I can't see wearing this as is, though I think it would layer well with something like Dragon's Blood or Bliss. A little goes a long way, by the way ... it's super potent.

On a scale of 1-5, a 3.

In the imp, this is red musk, clove, and copal. Once on my skin, something floral and almost fruity comes out, which might be the belladonna blossom. It's joined by amber and copal. After a few minutes of wallowing, the clove regains its strength and comes out roaring full force. It dries down to a spicy, cinnamony scent, that's full of heat but also somehow cold and distant.. like sniffing someone's spices in their unused kitchen. Very intriguing!

ITB: Spicy and warm.

Wet: Clove and red musk. A bit dusty and not super strong. It's getting a little greener and a little sweeter.

Drying: I'm very much getting the the amber and copal now. This is really spicy and warm, and surprisingly light.

Dry: This really doesn't have much throw, but it's really snuggly and warm, which I really like. It's pretty much red musk and what must be the sweetness from the belladonna flower with a kick from the spices in the background.

It is very similar to Sword of Surtur, but is much milder. I'll have to test these next to each other to see if I'm going to keep both of them.

Red musk, pimento, clove and amber. It's red, slightly smoky, definitely I can smell the pimento which adds both heat and redness to this blend, when its already red and full of heat. Dark clove overlay.

It's not the type of blend that appeals to me, and I think I am amping up the pimento.

Dry, spicy and warm.

In the vial: strong resin, amber, musk. Reminded me of a gentler Minotaur.

On the skin: The belladonna and copal were the strongest when wet, but it's dried down to a mellow musk-y clove scent on me. The amber isn't super strong after five hours, which is okay. I do get a hint of pimento when I directly sniff my wrist but there's just not a lot of throw with this one, at least on me.

I really like it, as it doesn't give me a headache like Minotaur can. It's a warm scent, and it feels comforting to wear. And the name is Three Cocks, how can you go wrong?

At first, this smells like scorched ginger, very reminiscent of Saw-Scaled Viper and War. Looking at the description, there is no ginger, weird. After a bit, it's more like red musk, less ginger like, though there is a sour quality, like pickle juice was spilled nearby and dried. It's not strong, but definitely present. Spicy, red, a bit sour, not sure what to make of this blend. If the amber came out, this would be much better, I think. For now, the spices and musk are fighting a losing battle with one another, not unlike some Viking battles I've seen on the series (very good, btw). So not a good blend for me, but age may help.

I bought the Three Cocks when it debuted in 2014, and I found the clove to be so loud, so shrieking, I found it unbearable- it truly induced migraines. Because of the Three Cocks, I've avoided many clove scents since. I hadn't bothered to trade or sell it away,  so every year I'd dutifully give it a sniff and a test to see if the clove was still stomping around. I was ready to write it off as lost cause. Until today. 

The clove has finally mellowed, allowing the resins to take center stage. They are creamy and support the sweet red musk. It reminds me of a dreamy carnation blend, and I'm ever so thankful that FINALLY SIX+ YEARS LATER, Three Cocks has become the spicy resin and musk blend I had wanted.