Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mechanical Death

The Tears of Lilith

Hemlock and hydromel and gall, honey and aconite and wine, lavishly poured over a blend of deep red musk, velvet-red rose, and silvery ambergris.

This is my favorite of the weenies so far. If you are a red musk and wine lover do not hesitate to buy!

Its very much a red purple scent. Deep red port wine, blood red swirling in a glass surrounded by heaving sultry musk of a seductive evil temptress. She may kill you but it'll be a sweet death. The silvery amber chills and shimmers. It's the feeling of warmth fading.

Those who fear rose, don't run from this scent. The rose in this is deep and perfumy, but does not come screaming to the top. It lays in wait, velvety blood red and sweet. It's the bouquet of the reddest roses spot on. I think it's the same red rose from rose red.

This is a deadly gorgeous scent, pun quite intended.
I need a backup bottle for sure. I've been wearing it everyday.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I wasn't too sure about it when I ordered it but I hoped it would work. To me this smells like someone poured some wine over a couple of rose petals. It's very interesting and I really like it. The rose isn't overly floral and it doesn't make me smell like a lush either. It's just very feminine and pretty. ETA Forgot to mention that this is very strong on me and a little dab is all I need.

Edited by cometgirl21

When I opened the bottle, the first thought that came to mind was the song Days of Wine and Roses. A really pretty deep wine scent with very lush rose.

Wet: Wine and roses predominate, along with something sharp, herbal, and slightly bitter. It's a sweet, high scent for the most part with huge throw at this stage. Very feminine and sultry.

Dry down: The ambergris softens this considerably, and the herbal sharpness recedes. The wine tames down, too, not quite so boozy. It's a very true rose. It doesn't go powdery or grandma's soap.

The throw diminishes until it's close to a skin scent. Lasting power is medium. After five hours, this had faded down to something vaguely sweet and barely there. If you're a fan of rose, this is a nice one to have.

So far the rose is playing nice with my skin and I get a deep red wine with undertones of bitter herbs and the slightest breath of rose. A sultry woman was mixing potions and her perfume wafted over the dark herbs and sweet red wine she was using. There's an almost sour note but I don't think it's the wine as that, if anything, usually goes syrupy sweet on me. The herbs I'm smelling remind me of a certain "herb" that many people find enjoyable to smoke *wink wink nudge nudge* This is one rose I think I could befriend. It's a rich velvet petal, not one of those "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT NO NO LOOK AT ME" brand of roses that I end up fighting to the bitter end. The whole blend is dark and sultry and just a little bit scary, which suits me quite well :D

Re-testing this one as I was cleaning out my perfume box and the way it smelled in the decant just grabbed me and I said "Mmmmm!" out loud :lol: On, it's honeyed wine with the fruity plummy sweetness I get from red musk with a tiny hint of bitter herbs and rose. Gads, this is lovely! I have a terrible track record with roses but as noted in my original review, this rose is playing nicely, or the other notes are keeping her in check. It's more bitter than it was in the vial overall, but still beautiful. I can't stop snuffling my wrist. Age has smoothed out any sourness that was present when fresh, as well as the cannabis funk. It's still exquisitely dark, sultry, scary, and very me :wub2: I wish I had more of it than this tiny partial decant.

Edited by brilliantcat

I went through quite the internal debate before buying a bottle of ToL. It went something like this:

"Ooooo, honey! Hydromel! And hemlock is a green note I actually love!"

"Whoa back, are you forgetting all the horrors that red wine notes have perpetuated on your skin? The cherry Vick's Vap-O-Rub, the sour grapes, the sharp blast of cheap alcohol?"

"But, but but but red musk! BPAL's red musk is wonderful!"

"What about the red rose? You know you amp that like nobody's business. And do you even know what aconite or gall smell like?"

"Well, no, but ... ambergris?"

"Hmm. Maybe."

Well, I did buy a bottle, and ToL is *A*M*A*Z*I*N*G* on me. Not the kind of amazing where just the notes I love predominate, but the kind where even the notes I normally loathe smell fantastic, and make the notes I love smell even better! The red wine wafts the bouquet from a mellow, well-aged glass, and the rose smells lush and inviting while still allowing all the other notes to do their thing. I'm still not sure what aconite or gall smell like, but add in the rich sweetness of the honey, the soft green of the hemlock, and the sweet, animalic sexiness of the red musk and ambergris, and the result is :thud:

ToL has some nice throw to it as well, and lasts for hours. I may have to snag a back-up bottle, which I almost never do anymore. :wub2:

Interesting. This starts out quite green then it morphs quickly to fruity honeyed mead. The red musk and rose are very quiet in this scent.

The mead is doing it's banana impression when this dries down luckily it's blended in very well. Overall this is a comforting and creative scent.

I so desperately wanted this to work for me, not only because the notes sound like they should be exquisite, but also because I wanted to have the following convo often: “Wow, you smell great!” “oh, yep, that’s the Tears of Lilith.” I absolutely love Lilith mythology and this really did sound like it should smell so good. I guess I was unsure what a few of the notes were like, and I wish I knew which was the primary culprit so I can avoid it in the future, but something in this made me smell just disgustingly like the incense section of a hippie/head shop. I basically smelled like I stayed in the incense section of such a shop for six hours on a summer’s day and then left with a bag of something with a name like Strawberry Fields Forever. I tested it more than once and in different amounts, but same thing happened each time. Very sad about this one.

I very much wanted to love this, I was ready to get a second bottle! Sadly this is all fake grape candy to my nose and even worse on my skin! No rose, no aconite, no honey, nothing. Just grapey no-no. I don't like fake grape candy at all sadly so there is really no saving point for this for me. So sad!! This one is in the sale pile. D:

oh, i really wanted to love this one! i love the myth of lilith and this scent sounded like it'd be just up my alley, but it is a bit too sweet for me. i love rose-wine scents but i think the added honey, which my skin tends to amp, sends this into cloying territory. probably after an hour it'll smell good on me, but for now it is way too sweet and strong for my liking. something in it is definitely reminiscent of bordello, but without the softness and vanilla.

In bottle: Boooooooooze. And a little sweetness from the rose.

Wet on skin: I’m still smelling the wine strongly, and there’s the ambergris. Boozy scents always are crazy alcoholic on me when wet.

Drydown: Oooh, what’s that? Is that a green note coming through? It smells like pine. That must be the aconite. The musk, rose, and wine are mixing beautifully, and the hemlock is poking through as well.

Dry on skin: This is completely beautiful once it’s dry. The aconite and ambergris are what hit me immediately, and the honey, hydromel, and rose add some sweetness. As usual for my skin, the wine has calmed down, and the red musk is a gorgeous smooth, dark base. Probably my favorite of the Halloweenies.

This smells more fruity to me than winey. There's lots of lush grapes and red musk, it reminds me a lot of Semiramis, not sure if it's the bath oil or perfume I'm remembering. This is bright and voluptuous, but not really me, it's just too fruity. Not getting other notes, just the red musk and (sweet) grapes.

Edited by milo

Red musk always smells somewhat fruity and reminiscent of red wine on me to begin with, and I definitely get that feel here (maybe a little sweeter and more grape candy-ish from the actual wine note). I don't like this at first, as it starts off with the red musk and an herbal, green note, but it dries down to pretty much nothing but red musk on me. Warm, fruity-incensey, heavy red musk. I was hoping for more rose and ambergris, but I can't even smell the rose, which is usually a strong note on my skin. I already have so many bpals that are mostly red musk, so this isn't a keeper for me.

In the decant: A glass of red wine, sweetened with honey, calmed with ambergris.

Wet: Much as the cold sniff.

The dry-down: Hydromel is a variant of mead. I :wub2: mead. :) This is a beautiful creation. Bottle-worthy. Sweet and yet sad, all at the same time.

Also. Lilith was a great woman done in by history (his story), so to speak.

This scent is very fruity and heady on me, and I'm not really getting any of the wine or rose (sad!) but I am getting some nondescript floral, which might be the rose's influence. I'm not familiar enough with red musk and how it smells on me to know if that's what's really coming through, but based off of others' descriptions I'm guessing it's the culprit. As the scent dries on me some sweetness comes through and softens the headiness a bit, which is nice. Overall I'm a tad disappointed that it's not the wine poured over roses that other folks are describing, but I do like what it is, so I'll hang onto it. :)

Edited by Lani

This is very lush and red. This is one of the fruitier wine blends to my nose - not at all dry, but almost more grapes than wine initially. It eventually mellows into a more bitter blend.

I don't really get the ambergris or the rose - they are subdued. I'm not sure of hydromel, aconite, or gall, but I do get some bitter green notes (including the hemlock). Overall, the blend dries down to bitter wine and herbs. It's definitely a blend befitting the name The Tears of Lilith!

In bottle: Herbal grapes.

Wet: Wow, lots of grapey fruit along with a dry herbal quality.

Dry: This reminds me a ton of Alecto, with more of the grape/wine thing going on. It is very herbal mixed with something that almost reminds me of cedar. I would not have picked out mead without knowing that it is there, however if I try I can smell the hay-like sweetness.