Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nightgaunt

The High Priest Not To Be Described

...and there... sat a lumpish figure robed in yellow silk with red and having a yellow silken mask over its face. To this being the slant-eyed man made certain signs with his hands, and the lurker in the dark replied by raising a disgustingly carven flute of ivory in silk covered paws and blowing certain loathesome sounds from beneath its flowing silken mask.

Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

This is a winner--smooth leather, aromatic spice, the herbal freshness of chamomile. It's a dark, exotic, sexy scent. It calls to mind underground passages full of secrets, and wonderous (and possibly dangerous) treasures brought by caravan from unknown lands. It is full of delightful nightmares.

This is wonderful. Straight on I get a burst of chamomile, pepper and cypress - and the chamomile smells like the actual dried plant, not an oil - and then it settles down through leatheriness to smell like the back of a spice cabinet. I get that underground note that Nightgaunt mentioned too. I'll need to wear it more to get a better idea of throw and so on, since it's currently fighting with the waft of Azathoth on my other arm. But this gets a big thumbs up. :P

ETA: the throw of this on me is Tezcatlipoca without the cocoa! :D

Edited by tau

This is an interesting light pink clear oil.

Bottle- Smells a little smokey/spicey

Wet- I smell smokey cassia, though cassia isn't a listed note. It's a very light scent even when wet.

Dry- Spicey incense- I still get that cassia note, which I guess must be the pepper but it definitely has that cinnamon-like vibe to it. Deep bloody musk grounds this scent and there must be myrrh as part of the incense, too. There is a smack of leather, but it's very well-behaved and not sharp as leather often gets on me. I don't get any chamomile, but this scent is well-blended and it could be a supporting note on me. There is something that gives this a touch of sweetness in a dark way- dragon's blood?

Overall- Very nice dark scent! The strength on my skin is light, but still has decent wafting ability. This smells like Tintagel's evil cousin :P .

Edited by birdiefu

Wow, the oil color really is interesting. Unfortunatley this didn't really work out on me. I really wanted to like it, it sounded like everything I would have loved... but, no. This was basically a mellower version of Hellfire with chamomile and a few more herbs. Hell, I probably would have loved that on its own but it had no staying power on me and the scent was very light to begin with. :/ I had put it on, then 15 minutes later I went to sniff my arm and it took me awhile to actually pinpoint the scent, there wasn't much to be sniffed at by then. Woe.

If I had a little more money when this first came out I would have ordered a 5 ml unsniffed based on "monastic incense" and "blood musk" -- though black leather is also often a winner on me (it smells like resin burning on a hot coal, as I've probably mentioned before...a little smoky, and gorgeous), and I know that I like cypress oil on its own in small quantities. "Pimento" makes me think of olives unfortunately, pepper sometimes makes me sneeze and chamomile on its own isn't always a favorite (Sleepytime Tea, anyone?) so I decided to wait a little bit...

Oh I should have just gotten a bottle! This is even more incensy than I had thought it would be. This has a "hot" feeling to it -- something burning in a dark place, an incense censer simmering in a black chamber. I would swear that I smell dragon's blood. I am going to go out on a limb and take a wild guess that "blood musk" could be red musk + dragon's blood, and the color in the vial also suggests the slightest touch of radiant DB. I'm seeing a dark temple with lots of blood-red banners bearing an emblem of a single burning eye in my mind, and people wielding knives...tentacles...you know the deal.

As it dries I almost think I get a breath of champa. Now we're in the "hot coals" phase that black leather does to me. It's faintly herbal, but I think of herbs being sprinkled on a fire in that dark ritual.

I just sneezed -- but I think that's not the pepper, I think it's just some sinus thing I have going on right now.

This reminds me a little of Blood Moon. I think it's the blood musk paired with something that's spicy, woody and herbal. Peppery woods, incense, and a sensation of a ritual fire and censer.

This is also a very strong blend on me. It goes through several stages but it always seems very strong, with a good amount of throw, so I don't want to put on too much. Then again, incense and musk (especially the red/blood musks) are super-powerful on me and go on and on.

Yeah, shoulda just bought a bottle. :P Though I felt this way about Blood Moon when I got it too and I never wore it again and wound up selling it...so maybe I'll wait until a lull in updates and get some of this after the madness of Yule dies down!

this is my first review ever so be gentle!!

the high priest not to be described

in the bottle: smells almost alcohol-ish to me, the pepper, musk, incense, and chamomile stand out but seem kind of brutal... almost smells like a spicy mens drugstore cologne. almost.

wet on the skin: the chamomile really pops out! where'd the spicy incense go?!

drydown: pretty spice-ariffic... the pepper and the incense are still on top and the chamomile is very soft. the musk really blends in and doesn't seem so harsh or synthetic smelling... it's almost femme but kinda butch too. this made me coin the term "uniSEXY!" hahaha. other words: heady, antique, frightening, intoxicating.

i feel dirty!! and creepy!! *licks lips*

overall: 8/10 (wheres the throw?!?)

straight sniff from imp is very bright cinnamon and pepper...

upon application this turns quite incensey and a bit floral, combined with

cinnamon and musk...wow...this is absolutely stunning...it mellows and gets

better as time passes and i can sense the chamomile...what a lovely blend

for autumn and the coming winter months.... :P

The leather smell comes through, and it’s really nice. This is a manly one, yummy and good spices. Alluring.

In the bottle: This smells like the first New Age / pagan shop I frequented. They used a variety of incenses, and all their books came home smelling like it. This is love at first sniff.

Wet: Mmm. This retains its essential character, but is both richer and more smooth.

Drying down: It is a bit more herbal now, yet still lovely in that "I smell like an awesome pagan shop" way.

Dry: This is the scent of potions brewing and books steeped in incense offered to many gods. It is the essence of rituals light, dark, and darker still.

Later: It has faded, but clings to me like the incense to the pages of books. I'd ordered a bottle of this unsniffed, and I am glad I did!

Edited by blackfelicula

THE HIGH PRIEST NOT TO BE DESCRIBED

In Bottle: Leather, musk and incense

On Skin: The incense and musk are strongest followed by the leather. So dark, so spicy, so brooding. I love how this scent makes me feel even a little scared, it seems like pure darkness. The leather, on of my favorite notes, gives a masculine edge. The blood musk drips with sex appeal and fear, the incense warms the scent and gives a gorgeous spice mixed with the bite of the white pepper that tickles my nose faintly. The chamomile gives a relaxing herbal feel, so soothing that it comforts the bit of fear that the scent has created. For such strong notes listed, this scent is actually quite light and fades very fast. It would have to be slathered and I think I’m going to make my husband try just that!

I was excited about a blood musk and incense blend; The High Priest does not disappoint.

Blood musk, on me, always makes me think fondly of cinnamon or cassia. If cassia had a type of musk, it would be blood musk. With it's darkly sweet qualities. Spicy and warm.

This blend has such a sexy vibe, because it makes me feel warm inside whenever I smell it. The incense is rich and has something of a smudged, soft vein to it. Almost thick and powdery (without being at all baby powder-ish).

I don't exactly smell any of the notes besides the blood musk and incense; but I catch hints of leather and woods dancing around the background every once in a while, with more of a dry woods after an hour or so of wear.

Very lovely and warming. I'd recommend trying this if you liked any of the other blood musk blends. :P

imp:

cinnamon?

oh, no.

but what else is that? the floral scent that makes me think of lotus, but only the thinnest dribble of it? maybe dragon's blood?

wet:

I don't think I like this. it's insensey and I get a pepper senstation from it but it's just the wrong sort of mix, I can tell right away.

not long after:

cinnamon red hots. Out! I exorcise thee with soap!

I got mostly incense in this on first application, but the red blotches that soon showed up on my skin heralded the cinnamon to come. And now, 4 hours later, that's all it is...very light, nice cinnamon.

This is quite nice, but VERY light on me.

It's a kind of pink-pastelled fuchsia incense type in my mind. Very soft, almost powdery. It doesn't have a lot of throw, and seems to fade really quickly, but then will surprise with sudden whiffs as I move.

I'd file this together with blends like The Cracked Bell or The Bloody Sword, but it's softer and less cold than those two, without a strong metal note - though there might be a dribble of dragon's blood hidden in the Priest.

I'll have to wear this a couple of times more to decide whether it is bottle-worthy. It would already be on my list, if it wasn't so very light. I like my scents to be a little more noticeable than this.

In the imp: blood musk and pepper and a hint of incense.

On me, wet: smoky peppery leather and strong incense. This really does smell like an evil ritual should, dark and deadly and menacing and *sexy*.

On me, dry: this reminds me a lot of Blood Moon, that dark musk and spice. This is cinnamon rather than grains, but still warm and delicious and the pepper is a nice touch.

Verdict: I think I'd rather have Blood Moon, but this'll make a good substitute when my bottle of that runs out.

The High Priest Not To Be Described

In the imp: warm, red, spicy and crackling incense. Mmm. Maybe a hint of camomile here.

Wet on skin: spicy pimento and pepper mingles with something reminiscent of frankincense, and blood musk and leather.

Dry: mmm, this is lovely! This has a fantastic crackling spiciness to it, warm and sparkling, like fireworks and a bonfire. There’s definitely something red to this. It’s smoky and dark too with a hint of dry, pale camomile. The leather and musk bond beautifully, and there’s a lovely sweetness to it. The incense note is wonderful, like burning resins and spices. Dark, fiery ritual incense.

After a while: this gets better and better! The incense, musk, spices and leather have all merged into the most sublime scent ever. It’s smooth and sweet and dark and rich and mysterious and wonderful. It reminds me of the creamy spiced blood musk in Blood Moon but without the cinnamon/cassia note. Smooth and almost sexy, this reminds me of Loviatar’s musk-leather mix, but spicier.

Over time, it gains a sweetness which reminds me of the tonka in Dee and Perversion. This is so good!

Verdict: this is a wonderful, delicious winter warmer of a scent. Spicy and crackling, it starts as a red, fiery scent of spiced resins, flickering flames, occult rituals, similar to Dee but hotter and a tad more sinister. But then the scent gets softer and gentler over time, the leather smoothes out, and a sweet musk merges all the notes together. This makes the scent comforting and protective, it’s like sitting by a fireplace on a comfy leather sofa whilst getting a hug, a smooth spiced leathery musk. This is gorgeous and unisex fragrance which is perfect for the colder months. I might need more of this stuff.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes! This is a perfect winter scent. I might get a botttle soon.

If you like this, try: Loviatar, Dragon’s Hide, Blood Moon, Bow and Crown, Count Dracula, Telltale Heart, Dee

Mmm, spicy leathery incensey masculine goodness. :P

I'd definitely buy it for my husband if he didn't already have a bottle of Count Dracula.

Oooh. This will sound weird, but this blend first reminds me of what it's like to walk into a craft store. It's the dry spice of it, I think--very reminiscent of crackling, decorative wreaths and dusty photo albums. The chamomile pretty much dominates this blend, with my chemistry. As it dries, I get a bit more of the pepper, as well as a hint of sweetness from somewhere. If I concentrate, I can pinpoint the leather, which is surprising--I usually amp leather. This is a fascinating scent, completely contrary to my expectations.

Mmmm. I a wonderful incense note, blended with herbs and spices, and something fresh, almost citrusy (maybe the cypress, or a mental association with chamomile?). Whatever it is, I'm not complaining one bit, as this is just a wonderful blend.

The High Priest Not To Be Described - Mmmm… this is a sexy scent! It's masculine in the same vein as Spanked and Count Dracula. The musk and incense are the dominant notes initially, but as it warms up on my skin, the pimento and pepper give the blend a scratchy spiciness. About 20 minutes after I apply the oil, I start to detect the leather in this blend, which is working so amazingly well with the spicy notes. The mild chamomile is the perfect finishing touch to this blend, keeping it from being melodramatic and over-the-top. This is a wonderful blend and if I didn't have plenty of Spanked and Count Dracula in my possession, I would definitely be relying on this as my manly-spicy-leather scent; however, since I have those (Count Dracula, in particular), I don't really have much need for this one. The throw is light, but the staying power is long.

I received an imp of The High Priest Not To Be Described as a frimp from the Lab. Thank you!

In the imp, The High Priest is musky and peppery -- when I first sniffed it, I didn't know the components of the blend and assumed the peppery quality was black musk, since that's how it feels to my nose. But in this case, I think I'm also actually smelling the pepper in the blend. Once on my skin, and through initial drydown, I'm getting the peppery musk, plus leather. This is hot, slick, black leather! Leather is normally a monster on my skin and really blows up, but in The High Priest, it's kept in check rather well. The cypress gives this scent a bit of a woody undertone, but what I really detect under the musk-pepper-leather is the pimento -- it gives a nice little tangy zip that blends in really well with the pepper, but doesn't add heaviness.

This is a really masculine scent, and while it smells great on me, it's a little too manly for my taste. However, for women who love those hot, spicy leather scents, or for someone who wants a drop-dead sexy, mysterious, slightly dangerous-smelling scent for their man-thing, THIS IS IT. :P

Edited by valentina

Hmmm... a nicely spicy, musky, incensey scent, with very dark undertones - fairly appropriate to its inspiration.

Although it's not bad on my skin, it does smell more like a men's scent than not. Sometimes BPAL scent designed for men do end up working on me, sometimes they don't, and sometimes it's kind of in the middle -- this would be one of those latter times. I can wear a scent like this, but it does smell a bit like I've been playing in the men's section of the perfume testers.

In a way, this one is reminiscent of Scherezade, though Scherezade is undeniably feminine on me. It's like the High Priest is Scherezade's older, evil-cultist brother -- or butch sister, maybe. Or a spicier Loviatar, perhaps -- there's definite similarity there as well.

I do kind of like its murky, musky, evil spiciness, but I think it may be a tad too heavy for me. Ultimately, I am not really butch enough to pull something like this off successfully.

Grade: B

As this goes on, I get a lovely mix of dark, deep, spicy incense. It's a scent that leans to the masculine, but a woman could certainly wear it (and I plan to). I'm leery of musks, but while blood musk may be lending a warm base to this, it's not obtrusive. Initially, it's spicy incense, but as it dries down, I get a hint of leather in the background. It's a very complex blend, and I'm happy to believe that the other notes have all combined in here to create this intriguing blend, even though I can't identify much very clearly. Like so many of the Arkham scents, this is dark and complicated, but in a rather beautiful way (and this is coming from someone who tends to like bright cheery scents). What's impressing me is how well some of these notes that I consider very dark and heavy come together into something deep but not overwhelming. In fact, this is a relatively light scent, throw-wise. Probably not something I'd buy a big bottle of, but I'll enjoy wearing the imp and pondering its complexity.