Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

The Morning Star Among the Living

This is what it says on the tin. Fig forward with saffron peeking through on the dry down.

Its a heady scent, but I can see it being perfect for warm summer nights.

The scent of a honeyed, floral lozenge that began as a liqueur made from macerating figs –both the delicate, fresh fruit as well as their rich, dried, pruney counterparts–in two parts bourbon to one part vanilla. Mash the pulp and the liquid together, simmer until very thick and allow to set on cool, aromatic eucalyptus leaves. Administer these sweet drops as needed to individuals who pride themselves on their brutal honesty, but you suspect they enjoy the inherent cruelty of that sentiment more than the idea of actual truthfulness and sincerity.

Figs, honey, saffron, check check check. Wait, it's amber and not honey? Okay then. If honey does the indolic thing on you and you don't like it, this might be a good one to try. The saffron isn't as bitter as I was expecting, it just darkens the mix up enough to keep it out of fig jam territory. It's really lovely, and I predict people are going to react to me with "you always smell so delicious" rather than "what perfume are you wearing?"

Deep, earthy fig surrounded by saffron. The saffron in this spices it just a bit and lends a bitterness that deepens the earthiness. Amber lends a bit of a powdery perfume to back it all up.

You know the powder incense that you tap into symbols to burn? That is the drydown. Powdered incense just lit. It's hazy and soft and very lightly lending a scented smoke into your area.

the saffron in this strikes me as particularly hot and red at first, uniquely spicy at a low simmer but still recognizably saffron. as it mingles with that deeply rich, sweet fig it throws me a bit of a christmas vibe, like an eccentrically spiced figgy pudding. right now it's like something your crazy aunt might bring for the holiday meal that sounds weird but is actually delicious. (it's me. i'm the crazy aunt bringing the weird/delicious.) 

as it settles in, the fig pudding recedes a bit and the amber comes out. i'd never smell this and say "hey, there's amber!" but it's a dryish lovely perfume background that shifts this firmly out of edible territory as it blooms. the saffron is less hot, but still spicier than i usually find saffron to be.

it's rich, earthy-sweet and chewy, a little spicy, a little perfumey. it's a very interesting blend!

Edited by MamaMoth

Fig in disguise! For the first couple of hours, this was a mash-up of Baghdad Resurrected + Romans 13:8 on me! Minus Romans' almonds. So much complexity!

Dried down, trickster fig has (mostly) become itself, but also not. It isn't fresh fig. It isn't dried fig. Maybe it's archetypal fig? Oh yeah: there's some saffron.

Anyway I'm enjoying it, & might need a bottle.

Sweet burning fig! Fig on fire. I keep thinking I lit a fig candle. It almost smells like apple cider, but that's fig encased in saffron amber. I never thought I'd love this, but it's delicious. This is so different and so comforting. It's heavy on fig, but not heavy in scent. I find it rather light, airy, but strong. It's a christmas dessert and a summer day. It is the opposite of the evening star among the dead. It's very alive. I may have to get a bottle cause this is so different than anything I've had from BPAL. 

I was hoping for more of a fig center scent. Unfortunately the saffron quickly surpasses the fig as the strongest note on me in this scent. The fig is still there and noticeable, while the amber is purely in the background, softening the scent. Overall, I'd describe this as more fig fell into the saffron jar than saffron infused fig jam.

This smells musty yet dry on me, like old carpet that really needs to be ripped out and is full of decades of dust and dirt.  Dry, dusty, powdery, and sickly sweet with a weird spiciness like old potpourri.  I scrubbed this off after only a couple minutes because I just couldn't handle it.  The sweetness of the fig with the powderiness of the amber and the dry spiciness of the saffron is not working for me at all.