Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ms. MSGirl

The Lowdown on Incense & Resin - The Best Recommendations

It sounds like we have some pretty similar tastes. So far I've really been loving:

Magus

Brimstone- so wonderful

Malediction

Morocco (I smell more sandalwood and cinnamon in this than anything else)

Lex Talionis

Hope that helps.

Hey there Paschat! Thought I recognised you. BerryDelicious here from MUA!

The ones I'm thinking of have been mentioned: Sin, Loviatar and Fenris Wolf. All have dark, incensey or resinous aspects...though Loviatar has the addition of some sweet hot leather. I'd suggest Umbra as well, with its black patchouli and cedarwood. I have to say though, these aren't full-on resinous and smoky for me...all of them have a dry sweetness on my skin (though definitely not a floral or fruity sweetness).

From reading this thread there are so many others to try! Penance, I think I'm going to have to try Penitence, Anne Bonny is already pretty sweet on me, but I'm curious about this one...!

I know they've been mentioned, but Cathedral and Penitence are Anne Bonny's triplet sisters, they're extremely similar.  Penitence is the sweetest, Cathedral is the middle one and Anne Bonny is the driest. :D

I love all three of them! :P

Aureus is also nice, but it's not as dry as Cathedral, Penitence and Anne Bonny. :D

Both Nyx and Caterpiller are really floral on me.

I agree with the recommendation for Fenris Wolf. Obeah (an up and coming), Scherezade (on me a spicey, dry scent) and Lex talionis might also be up your alley.

Urd....Uuuuuuurdddd....try Urd! :D

It's the best, most dry, dark, incense smell I've yet encountered!

It's my new faaaaavorite. :D :P

If someone, contrary to the original poster, is looking for a humid floral yet SUPER incense Hell's Belle may fit the bill (at least during the initial phase- an hour or two..)

Urd....Uuuuuuurdddd....try Urd! :P

It's the best, most dry, dark, incense smell I've yet encountered! 

I second this. It's very dry woodsy-incense. Lovely.

What about Darkness?? I was just going through my multitude of imps and I've rediscovered this. Super dark (of course) and dry.

From reading this thread there are so many others to try! Penance, I think I'm going to have to try Penitence, Anne Bonny is already pretty sweet on me, but I'm curious about this one...!

Doooo it! Penitence is gorgeous! :P

It smells exactly like a Catholic church after mass. I can't get enough of it. :D

What about Darkness??  I was just going through my multitude of imps and I've rediscovered this.  Super dark (of course) and dry.

i heartily second this rec, just got an imp of Darkness and was ~blown away~. what an amazing SMELL.

:P

I am a nutball for myrrh and cedar and resiny incenses of all kinds.

Doing a search for "myrrh" on the main site nets about a thousand hojillion different results, and most of them look pretty good. I'd like some help narrowing the field a little.

Here's how it all goes down:

1. My skin eats most perfumes. NAR NAR NAR. I need the strong stuff.

2. I hate florals. GOD I hate florals.

What's the longest-lasting resiny scent in the catalog that doesn't involve flowers?

Well, off the top of my head I'm thinking Magus, Incantation, and Cathedral. I love Titus Andronicus, but not so fond of Tzadikim Nistarim.

Hope that helps!

Oro

If you find yourself in the market for more cedar scents, ask Penance. She's the queen of the hamster cages.

I love resin scents. And the more incensy the better. Some of my favorites in this category are...

Aureus, Penitence, Cathedral, Nefertiti, Sloth, Sri Lanka, and Laudanum.

You might also like Magus, Shadow, and Umbra.

And another of my favorite resiny scents is Tintagel. I get a lot of dragon's blood, juniper, and leather from it.

The gnome lord hurls a cobalt potion. The jar crashes on your head and breaks into shards. You smell resins. You feel better.

Call a cobalt potion:

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Tombstone, which has cedar and vanilla. It's been a while since I've worn it, but I think you might like it.

Your humble and obedient Renaissance Man,

Bard

Urd, Love Me, Nephilim are all very strong on me.

(PS. Sorry if I came off rude in your PM! I was too excited... lol)

You're my hero for asking this. Resins are my #1 favorite thing and I don't like florals. :P

My favorite in the catalog for resins are:

Cathedral

Penitence

Anne Bonny

Magus

Aureus

You might also like:

Sri Lanka

Dance of Death

Umbra

I found that Incantation was a very light, lemony, cologney scent despite the ingredients so if you're looking for something heavy that might not be it.

Urd is my alltime favorite catalog blend but that's more of an incensy than a resiny smell, nonetheless it is very strong...

Out of the ones I mentioned up top, Penitence might be the one to go for if you're looking for straight frankincense and myrrh, and strong. If you like patchouli plus resins, Anne Bonny is the way to go. My skin eats perfumes too...I find if anything contains a citrus it fades instantly on me, and flowers die the minute they hit my skin.

As for limited editions, seek out Midnight Mass, it is the ultimate resin scent!

Look out for Al Azif...that's a wonderful darkly sweet resin blend, but pretty hard to come by...

Jacob's Ladder (another LE) is also wonderfully resinous.

Penitence and Midnight Mass are sublime, long-lasting and powerful resin scents. You might also try Aureus -- in my review of it here I said, "A warm dry scent, with a whiff of sweet cedar like the inside of a very old cigar box, and incense amber underneath."

> say "Thank you!"

Lobster says "Thank you!"

> inv

You are carrying:

1 pending order

> look pending order

You see a pending order. It gives off a sweet, resinous scent.

> open pending order

The pending order contains:

Tombstone

Aureus

Penitence

Kathmandu

Smut

Bengal

> jump

Jump where?

> jump up and down

Lobster jumps up and down!

> say "My coccyx is humming with delight to see how these scents play out! Thank you so much for your recommendations, you're all cooler than milk-chocolate asteroids with raspberry centers. Now to wait for two months. :P"

...Lobster gibbers like a dork.

Lobster is a woman after my own heart... or, body chemistry! I say Urd, Urd and more Urd! I find that Blood Lotus can take on a bit of a resin quality on my body, but that's just me, and who knows about the rest o' the world...

valentina

Edited by valentina

No recs, since it seems everyone else has pointed you in the right direction, but I just wanted to say I love your sense of humor, Lobster! :P