Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

OK I'm digging this. At first it is quite jammy from the blackcurrant and cognac with a whiff of fir and soft aquatic notes in the breeze. Very nice, very nice. It does make me think of glass, like a super soft version of Shattered and seeing fir trees outside softened with frost. Very evocative. A very non-aggressive non-indolic oudh note emerges for a spell (thankfully the type that doesn't go sharp on me, the good stuff, woo!).

It dries down kinda lacey with soft grey amber and cognac, with a touch of fir in the breeze, like walking through an elven forest with a warm soft presence. Elegant and pretty, this is closer to what I wanted from November Mood and Elf. Galadriel would totes wear this.

Glad I went for it!

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

Ok, this is different. Fresh on, I couldn't figure it out (I don't look at the notes right away). *Sniff sniff*. My first thought? "Angry pineapple" 😂 Oh dear.  So I checked the notes. 

Once I fanned the oil and got some sillage/drydown, I could smell a light lavender in the background. Behind what, you ask? Behind wind blowing out of a frosty cold forest. No smell of trees or snow, just the cold dry air. It's not entirely forlorn - your warm cabin is a little ways around the bend, with fruits and cognac waiting. 

I mostly smell ambergris and lavender.  There's a little bit of a frosty feeling about it.  I'm reminded a lot of The Air & The Ether, except this works out slightly better for me.  I don't smell anything fruity at all, which I'm scratching my head about, but maybe it will come out more with age.  

Ambergris was a big risk for me as I usually avoid it, but I was really intrigued by the art.  Here it is allowing the other notes to come out just a little bit more than usual (on my skin).  With this scent, I can start to understand why ambergris fans like it.  Kind of mineral, oceanic, clean musk thing going on.  

However between this and Air & The Ether, I probably don't need any more ambergris!  : ) 

Oh this is lovely. Smooth, complex, rich without being overwhelming. A fresh, cool, green quality is twined around the lavender, and the cognac and ambergris ground and fix the top notes and give the whole thing a radiating warmth. Surprisingly not particularly animalic, though a bit salty. The green + ambergris puts me in the mind of Yule Cat, but this is much smoother and more interesting. (Edit: Seeing @doomsday_disco's review, I realized I had scents mixed up. Yes, the green bits remind me of Yule Cat, but the lavender + sweet ambergris is totally To a Wreath of Snow. But I still think bedroom is the more interesting 'fume.) I agree with other reviewers that this is evocative, and there is a wistful quality. 

Now I should say I'm testing this 8 hours out of the mail, so I will update if anything changes.

Edited by wordortwo

Mostly lavender and amber on me. I think the pine and the ambergris are there, but I can't smell them individually, they just add to the plant and wet smell of the lavender. This reminded me of Schonperchten, unfortunately I like Schonperchten noticeably better. I just wish the other notes, besides the lavender and amber, played a bigger part in this scent. It's on the simpler side imo, pleasant, but nothing to write home about.

Bedroom starts off somewhat effervescent, which I think is due to the frost note, and it's accompanied by some fir and blackcurrant, as well as a touch of cognac. Then the lavender and ambergris emerge, along with the grey amber. This trio ends up being the dominant notes on me after a while, with a splash of cognac that has increased in strength. I kept sniffing this and thinking it had white tobacco in it because it ended up being so similar to To A Wreath of Snow after it had been dry for a while, so if you own that one, you probably don't need this one as well, unless you really like the opening. But if you missed out on that one and wish you had tried it, you should definitely try Bedroom!

Since I already own To A Wreath of Snow, I don't need more of this, but I'll probably hang onto my decant.

I was very excited about this one. I'm still trying to figure out if that terrible glass note will ever calm down so I can wear and enjoy it. Grr. 

Eta The 'terrible glass note' was actually the fir not wanting to play nice with the other notes. I will enjoy one of the 2 bottles I blind bought, lol.

Edited by HerbGirl