Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Raw tubers, patchouli root, a tangle of vetiver, a splash of russet chypre,

and a salty hint of eau de french fry.

In the bottle: definitely a wiff of raw, cut potatoes and starch. Salt. Something citrusy. 

On me: citrusy and almost floral? doesn't read as raw potatoes now, but there's a still a warm/bright starchy potato/powdery quality to it.

I'm not huge on citrus, but I don't mind the citrus quality of it. The potato peeks out again as the scent dries down.

Oh my, this is a lovely surprise!  I initially got it blind just for the novelty of the concept, but I actually love it and may need a backup (sigh).  I've never had a BPAL that was less than two stars, but this one is a sleeper five and a half stars!  A very gentle, almost sweet patchouli, with a hint of, yes indeed, French Fries and a touch of dirt.  On, wet:  The vetiver and chypre step up a bit, but in a very gentlemany-tuber fashion and the initial French Fry note dies down, while the salt picks up just a bit.  Drydown:  The patch and earth notes blend gorgeously with the vetiver, and I'm left with a somewhat spicy/green patchouli, but a cool spicy, with earth and raw potato overtones. It's a real morpher and stays pretty; I just wish it lasted in its intermediate stage a bit longer (although the end result is lovely also).  This is a great one if you're a little bit afraid of patchouli and/or earth notes and want to give it a sophisticated go.

I saw this, and

tumblr_lvyldtGgTu1qapto0o4_r1_250.gifv

I typically avoid the savory scents but decided to give this one a try. And although I don't think I need a whole bottle of this, I'm really glad I gave it a chance. The patchouli in this is friggin' amazing. It's a really nice, deep, chewy, brown patchouli, and I want more of it! It's accompanied by the chypre and some starchiness from the potato, as well as a pinch of salt, but it never goes greasy french fry. I agree that it's more sophisticated smelling than one would expect. What kept me from loving this is the vetiver, which shows up after it has been dry for a few hours. It's a smoky variety, not a grassy one, which isn't a type that I enjoy. But it's not strong enough to make you smell like a walking BBQ (fortunately).

If only this didn't contain that vetiver note! 😭 I'll still be hanging onto my decant to sniff it on occasion, and maybe I'll put it in a scent locket. But what I'm really hoping is that Beth uses this patchouli note again, especially in a sweet scent. :beg: 

Jaunty Tater is surprisingly beautiful.  It's an earthy scent, but warm and snuggly and sunny.  The vetiver, patchouli, and mossy chypre give off the scent of warm, sun-baked, clay soil with hints of dry moss and roots.  If I didn't know that this had 'french fry' in it, I would never look for it or place it, but there is a warm, toasty quality and hint of salt.  Not an oily, fried mess or greasy smelling, but warmth and a touch of salt.  I really like scents that remind me of the smell of clay soil and the dried creekbeds where I grew up, trees washing out and their roots reaching down into the creekbed.  I'm happy that I was able to find a partial bottle of this blend.

Excuse me, a potato cologne? 🥔  erm yeah, don't underestimate this creeper in a black leather hat! The chypre adds a suave vibe to the composition, the tater stays jaunty. All of the different tuber elements: the tater, the salty fry on a patchouli/vetiver base come together in a way that WORKS. While I may not have enough charisma to pull off this blend, if I smelled this on someone else, I would have nothing but respect! a badass, classy potato perfume!

That is indeed potato! Starchy with added earthiness from the patchouli and vetiver. It gets a bit less potato-y as it wears and more just a very earthy cologne, but if you search for it the potato is always there.