Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Dead Leaves, and Ginger Spice

Got this last week - here we go! 

It goes on with a puff of warm baked-goods spice, mostly ginger, that reminded me of Shub but without any "fresh cut" ginger sharpness.  I have lots of d.l. scents and I'm not picking up a strong d.l. note in this.  

If I sniff up close, I can smell something pine-like that reminds me of cardamom, so maybe there's some cardamom in this? 

A couple hours later the ghost of Samhain comes out, on my skin.  It's not exactly Samhain but I do think they share something, perhaps "Ginger Spice" means ginger + some other spices, but that's just a guess.  I think it's safe to say I DON'T smell cinnamon, or clove.  Maybe there is allspice, in addition to the cardamom I smelled earlier?   

Anyway, I felt like this was my no-brainer from the d.l. section and it's pretty much a win for me, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect but it's very cozy and warm, but with a little bit of a spicy bite under the cuddly exterior.  And then it turns into Samhain's cousin which is fine with me.  This could be a hit for those people who want to love Samhain but can't wear it for whatever reason.  

On me, this is pretty much straight-up Samhain. There's an initial burst of dead leaves, and a nonspecific spiciness when it's wet, but it settles very quickly into a Samhain that's just slightly less complex than that blend often is--it's quite similar to my 2010 bottle, specifically. The ginger isn't individually apparent on my skin, though it jumps out of the bottle. 

Overall it's nice, but if I'd known how very similar to Samhain it was I probably would have skipped it.

Edited by LdyKnight

For me, the dead leaves are rising up mainly as texture in this one. I don't get the overt DL-bell pepper-cologne thing at all.

What I do get is a warm, cozy ginger mingling with other mellow, but inviting, spices. Ginger can often pierce, or sing out shrilly, but here she smells stove-warmed and softened, like in a chai.

I like this balance of less DL, more warm spice. I may have to cut it, but this is in my cart for a bottle.

I don't get the Lab's dead leaves note in this one. I also don't get much ginger. I get more fall sweet spices with something underneath that takes the scent away from being super foodie. I personally find the scent underwhelming, but I tend to like really strong ginger scents.

This reminds me A LOT of the "Dead leaves, cocoa and cinnamon" Atmo spray. I smell the cinnamon and something else deep and sweet. No ginger in sight. This blend is more along the lines of Dead Leaves and Sweet Cinnamon.

I'm very pleasantly surprised that this one doesn't have the screechy DL note that I had only known of until now. The DL note here is sweet and earthy, absolutely wonderful paired with the ginger spice! It got close to becoming a yankee candle type of deal but somehow didn't, which I'm also thankful for - it's not cloying! The ginger spice is a bit disappointing imo. The ginger is very soft and I think I get more sweet cinnamon vibes. Still cozy and good in my book. Decent 5-6 hours wear :)