Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blackened pomegranate, tobacco absolute, benzoin, brown sugar, and droplets of inky wine. 

Pretty! I think I was imagining this to be a big burly punch of smoky red fruity sugar, but it's actually something much more tame. Guessing, I might have said Pomegranate and Smoked Cedarwood. I'm getting bigtime pomegranate, which starts off as a dark red fruit and gets gradually poofier and poofier, until it smells like BUBBLE GUM to me. Yes, pink double-bubble bubble gum, powdery and chewy and sweet. But the Lab's pomegranate behaves like that on me almost always unless it has something to hold it back a lot, so I can report that it is behaving exactly as pomegranate usually does. You can trust your normal pomegranate instinct here.

The tobacco is so calm, wow. I'm guessing this is Bulgarian tobacco. It's dry and smooth and just a quiet crackle under the sweetness of the pomegranate. There is a smoky haze in the air, and something more woody than tobacco. The benzoin? Anyways, it reminds me a bit of a nice smooth cedar. The brown sugar does not go crazy either, like it's definitely enhancing pomegranate's whole song and dance, but it doesn't melt down into caramel disaster on my skin. The wine is barely present for me at the moment. A hint of something dark and dry, like a cabernet? It's not juicy and it's not vinegary. Very aged and smooth. Yes I've used smooth like four times in this paragraph! I said what I said!

If all these notes together read as scary or potentially too much to you, I wouldn't let that stop you from trying Through the Gloom! I think aging will bring out a lot more nuance in this Kindly. Pomegranate is not a winner of a fruit for me - I would have loved this with say, a plum wine to make a darker fruit really pop - and so I don't need a bottle, but I'm happy to report how wearable and smoothly blended this scent is!

Yum!

Blackened Pomegranate and her friends quickly draw me in. Brown Sugar and Inky Wine are her closest buds; while there seem to be others in the crowd, Pom, Wine, and Sugar are the charismatic trio. 

But, this is mostly Pom's show. The pomegranate is juicy and bright, but with a shadow cast over it. Sugary brown sugar and sugary red wine (Pinot Noirish, but sweeter) blend into it. As Through the Gloom dries, it develops a cheek-tanging sweetness through these three. 

By the time it dries, this blend has gone a little too cloying for me; I enjoyed the early phase quite a bit, though, and I think other pom lovers will find much to appreciate here. 

A beautiful deep pomegranate note (smells just like Black Pomegranate SN to me), it's dark and syrupy with the wine and brown sugar notes. I can detect the tobacco, and it comes out more as it dries, but the scent is definitely about the pom. 

I... thought this one would be darker, but my skin ran away with the pomegranate and wine notes for the longest time that it was mostly a red fruit party with a little brown sugar thrown in for good measure. The tobacco does come out eventually, darkening up the pomegranate and wine dominant scent, and the benzoin does add a resinous quality in the background to deepen the scent, too.

I mainly wanted to try this due to the tobacco and the sugar, but this one is definitely one for pomegranate fans!

First applied, this is slightly spiced sugary wine.  During dry down, the sugar calms and a clean (not soap, but just clean) comes through.  It goes on to become a slightly creamy, slightly musky UNspiced pomegranate wine.  Nice and fruity and not overtly boozey.  This would be good for those that are clean fruity lovers.

Sweet wine and tart pomegranate. Sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as dark! Dries down to a slight spicy fruity pomegranate wine. This is lovely. Reminds me of Seven Word Story: Lust in many ways. If you like that one, you should like this one too. And they are different enough to need both!

Sweet brown sugar pom and wine. This smells like a great sangria blend to me. Medium throw and wear length.