Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Languishing for Love

Dark musk with bitter almond, ambrette seed, black cherry, chocolate mint, and star anise. 

This one starts with a very strong almond/cherry blast. After a few minutes, the musk comes through, as does the chocolate and mint.  The almond/cherry face to a marzipan/playdough note that I really like.  The star anise is barely a whisper.  It's not as foody as it sounds, but is more of a sweet, dark gourmand.  It's got serious throw! 

Overall, I like this quite a lot!  I suspect it will be one I wear often.  It reminds me a bit of WILF but with cherry and almond.  

Oh bitter almond, we meet again. I was hoping the dark musk and the other notes would hold you back but no, there IS no holding you back. You are just a force to be reckoned with.

Strong and abrasive, bitter almond is a hard note to describe if you have not experienced it for yourself. It is related to the cherry pit, which as you may know contains components that our bodies convert into cyanide. If you are like me, your body smells this component and is like DANGER DANGER THIS COULD KILL YOU. It's the equivalent of seeing a neon-colored frog. You don't want to lick it, yo.

Okay, powering through the excruciating five minutes of Bitter Almond Show. The chocolate mint and dark musk begin to emerge. Oh, this is lovely! It's reminding me of How Doth the Little Crocodile, the aged kind. Wow wow. Gorgeous. It's a perfumed interpretation of those notes, rather than a foodie replica of chocolate mint. Infuse your pillow mint with a chocolatey brown musk and a sultry black cherry, and you have what the dry stage of Languishing turns into. The poisonous edge really does burn off, and the other notes come through beautifully. The anise is not a strong presence, but it lends a needed cynical note of murky spice to the otherwise wholly pleasant cast. As if to say, Bitter Almond may have left the stage, but you've still got me, baby.

I am going to need to play around with this one a lot more. I'm curious to see how it ages, and if the bitter almond gets less excruciating of a five minutes with time. I might even need a bottle?

I get mainly strong bitter almond at first, for a few minutes.  Then over the next couple hours, something really weird happens with the combination of notes and I smell labdanum.  I would have sworn this has labdanum but it's not in the description.  It's some combination of the musk with something else going on.  Much later the musk comes out stronger but overall there's not a lot of morphing here.  It's very smoothly blended and in the end it's mostly about the almond, it kind of holds on through the subtle changes.  I don't think I ever smelled mint OR anise.  

I love almond scents, so this works for me!  Fancy dark almond.  My bottle is a few weeks old. 

Really digging the black cherry in this, especially since it hangs out through the drydown and intertwines deliciously with chocolate mint and anise. There's definitely almond and musk here, but they don't dominate the blend on my skin. 

Would love a bit more throw, but it seems to hold onto my skin for a good part of the day.

In the bottle I get almond and cherry, on the skin there's also a bit of chocolate to start out. The anise makes a brief appearance, but the drydown is a cherry flavoured marzipan, rounded off by the chocolate, a sort of darkly fruity blend. I can't say I notice much mint or anise after about 15-30 minutes, but since I'm not a huge fan of anise this is fine by me. I've been looking for a dark cherry scent that doesn't turn into bubblegum/scented eraser, and this seems very promising! 

Edit: A couple of hours after application it's turned into the dreaded scented-eraser-from-the-80ies scent that I'm trying to avoid. 

This is from a bottle freshly arrived in the mail, I'm going to let it age for a bit to see if the dry down improves.

Edited by Evilynn

I have almost used up my decant😳. I really love this, it is fresh, unusual and fun.  The combination of the notes in their right proportions make this a totally unique perfume that I have not smelled anything like before.  It’s mostly cherry and chocolate mint, I think, but it’s hard to tell.  I am a fan of pretty much all the notes, so I guess that’s why this is such a hit.  I’m wondering how I can obtain a bottle now.🤗💕💕💕

Super strong cherry up front with mint. It smells kind of medicinal to me.  The cherry fades quickly, (It usually does on me.) leaving me with a soft, minty almond smell. It's rather subdued and more herbal than gourmand.  I don't really care for this, although I usually love mint chocolate combos. I don't think my chemistry is doing it justice. Off to swaps!

Edited by VetchVesper

YUM! It starts off smelling like amaretto. It's sweet and fruity and makes me want to lick my wrist. As it starts to dry down, the chocolate mint comes out in the background. Unfortunately, my skin ate this up and it doesn't have much silage (less than average). After 15 minutes, I can barely smell anything. I have to really huff my wrist in order to get a whiff of this perfume. It smells like dark, musky amaretto. SO good! It's warm and comforting without being overly sweet or overly gourmand. If my skin hadn't eaten it up immediately, this would be one of my favorite gourmands. After 30 minutes, it devolves into that sweet, semi-powdery quality like so many perfumes from this house tend to do.