Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An ethereal, dewy blend of juniper berries, lavender absolute, orris root, frankincense, spikenard, and bergamot. 

Ethereal is not word I would use.  Lavender, lavender, and more lavender. This should be called Row of Lavender.  It's a big punch in the nose of the vociferous herb.  I'm not getting much else besides maybe a hint of the juniper amping up the more green, herbal quality of the lavender.  I actually added some Vanilla Bean, Marshmallow, & Benzoin to this, hoping to create something akin to TKO.  What I got was... lavender. I don't like lavender.  :( 

My mom likes lavender.  She liked this.  Maybe you will too. 

ETA:  Ok, in the dry down, I'm starting to get a tiny bit of bergamot, and the lavender has softened - slightly. I'm still wearing the VB, M, & B with it, and I think it's a nice addition, though it's extremely subtle. I look forward to reviews from lavender lovers, who will surely experience more complexity and nuance than me.  

Edited by VetchVesper

The same herbal lavender from On Wednesday I Will Promise You a Phantom, but now it has some bitter herbal friends - juniper, SUPER JADED, chip in its shoulder, it's NOT PINE, OKAY?? - and bergamot, with pretentions of cologne grandeur, honey you're a beautiful fuzzy essential oil, you truly don't have to prove yourself! - and spikenard, who just wants to BE SEEN, nobody knows who or what it truly is!

Row of Trees ends up smelling like you dropped way too much of those strong essential oils into your diffuser and then you never turned it on to soften them with steam, you just got them on your fingers and are stuck smelling like a bunch of mentholic oils. The orris, soft shy powder that it is, has fled the building. The frankincense probably is contributing to the brightness of the blend, but has not lent much resin yet. Maybe with age.

I think this could be interesting for those who don't like traditional perfumes and want to smell lots of big herbal notes in their perfume oils. Almost no sweetness, lots of strength and vigor, and cool at the same time. I won't be acquiring more, but I could see others loving this!

Row of Trees begins its life on my skin as an herbal lavender salon blowout, but quickly morphs into a much more green herbal blend in the style of Lavender and Lichen.

Well after drydown, I get a whiff of some wayward cologne note peeping from the sideline. Not a fan of that development. I liked this earlier. Buuuuut…

If you like your lavenders green and herbal — even a bit dewy and wild with evergreen — this may just work for you.

Wet/drydown: Smells like juniper berries initially! Then the spikenard comes forward and takes over the show. Fragrant herbaceous notes dominate, with some green and spicy elements. Much more spikenard/juniper/bergamot than lavender or frank. It's refreshing, but so rooty and spicy that I hope the spikenard calms down a little.

I am clearly having a totally different experience than the folks who found this to be all lavender - it's basically a no-show on me.

Dry: Initially the spikenard continues to dominate. After an hour it has indeed settled more, and while the overall perfume is still pretty dry and herbaceous, some softer, more radiant notes like the frankincense (and is that the lavender finally peeking out to color the herbaceousness?) poke out, along with a faint whiff of bergamot. It's much more evenly balanced in this settled form. Kind of a masculine fougere-adjacent vibe. Unfortunately I'm a little worn out on this one from the spikenard bomb of the first thirty minutes or so. I think I'll set this decant aside for retesting in a month or two and hope the initial presentation is a little more balanced after some resting and aging, because I think I would really like this if the spikenard were less of a diva.

This starts off really lovely with a strong herbal lavender and juniper swirling together. As the scent sits on the skin, the powdery orris emerges and cozies up to the lavender, and the resins gain strength over time so that it ends up being lavender and orris backed by resins (with the lavender being weaker than it was initially).

I really enjoyed this one in the beginning, but the orris prevents this from being a love for me.