Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Bourbon Tobacco & Bergamot

My first first review! 

In bottle: the characteristic bergamot, but a little cuter, and tempered with the sweet bourbon tobacco bringing up the tail end of what I smell. 

On wet: the bergamot is BIG! But it's like.... a really fresh bergamot? If that makes sense? Not a flat tea ghost in the house! And there's a certain sophisticated cologne aspect to the scent, but that's fair because bergamot is a staple. We all know it. A WAYYYY more bergamot....ty scent than soft, pretty Severin, my bergamot benchmark, and even more than Paper Phoenix, but this is not the same bergamot as in either of those. The bourbon tobacco does a great job keeping the bergamot anchored and the blend is much more complex than some might give two notes credit for. (Edited to add: primarily bourbon tobacco in the drydown.) The blend is intriguing and I'm compelled to keep smelling it, especially once the bourbon tobacco gets some space. Y'all, buy it! 

Edited by ND¢

The lab's excellent tobacco note combined with a strong and slightly effervescent bergamot. It's juicy and citrusy while still maintaining the smooth and sweet qualities from the tobacco note. I love the tobacco note but I'm not sure the combo is for me.

In the decant and on my skin, the bourbon tobacco is the more prominent note -- dark, sweet, chewy, just a little astringent. The bergamot is a background player but is definitely there, adding a slight but distinct citrus brightness and astringency that plays well with the tobacco. Tobacco lovers shouldn't miss this one. Considering a full bottle for my fall/winter rotation.

I sampled this one just because, despite not being interested in the blend (tobacco is usually a death note for me, and the combo seemed like it might end up being headachy for my senses in particular) 

it turned out to be one of the ones I liked most out of the bunch of duets this came out with.  

there is something oddly familiar about it, and I just discovered this morning what it is.  It has a gasoline vibe.  But like… interpretively.  Like if gasoline didn’t smell toxic (even though I love the scent haha) but more like a semi gentlemanly blend of plants that are intended to be laid back and kind of refined, but uplifting at the same time while not falling into “ocean spray” or whatever territory.  Almost juicy somehow - (I mean all that positively, as gasoline is one of my favorite notes) 

it smells a lot less like gasoline as it settles and becomes more like a slightly stronger than a skin scent thing.  

the tobacco also doesn’t go sour or cloying on me, like it does almost every single time from any house.  

I don’t love the further drydown as much - because it gets like a waft overlay of a savory musty kind of thing on me - almost wilty celery like.  But this is coming from someone who has issues with tobacco overall, so don’t let my opinion make or break your decision.  It’s the way the tobacco is blending with the bergamot on my skin.  

overall this is a unique blend that has a refreshing, cozy, natural, slightly masculine leaning vibe.  

The almost juicy freshness of the bergamot mingling with the richer and darker but cozy tobacco underneath is really lovely, and doesn’t smell too “typical” for a bergamot scent.  

id have definitely FSed this if it played well with my skin chemistry  in the longer dry down phases ~ 

Edited by Viiinylflowers
Cleaning up grammar stuff

This duet is bold and decidedly UN-sweet. Starts with sharp bergamot and then the tobacco warms up and rounds it out. I could definitely see this as someone's signature scent.

A unisex, Autumnal, sexy tobacco blend. Nice throw and weartime.

The most flirtatious bergamot you will ever meet! 

For me, the tobacco really grounds it. This scent has a real autumnal vibe! 

On my skin, both scent notes are equally dancing together. This is pungent but equally really pleasant! This is beautiful! 

This is the scent of a posh and well dressed elderly man. The dapper fellow somehow smells good even when he sweats. (As someone who identifies as a young female, this was a nice escape into being a completely different person!).

I do believe that scent has no gender!  However, I'm regarding this as a "When one wears this scent, who does it make you feel like you could write a story about?" 

Does that make sense? Dammit this perfume is a posh cologne-y scent but somehow that bergamot just winks at me! 😉