Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Mulled Wine and a Wool Blanket

I wasn't really prepared for how much I like this.

On the wand and when first applied, it's a burst of warm, fruity wine, just lightly spiced. But on my skin, it soon shifts toward smoky grey wool as the stronger note, with the wine left a bit behind in the glass. It's like you're wrapped in a blanket left for several nights by a smoky fire, and the blanket is closer than the wine glass cradled in your hand. 

The early burst of mulled wine is nice, but the hearth smoke and wool coming forward---with mulled wine in the background---have me on the hook. This stronger smoky wool phase doesn't last long either, though, before wine, smoke, and wool all settle back together into a fireside skin-softness once the blend has dried. 

This goes well with drinking hot mulled wine, too.

This smells like the most wonderful dark red mulled wine (lightly spiced) backed by a touch of non-acrid hearth smoke and the same cotton-y tobacco musk type of note from Cafe au Lait and a Wool Blanket and You are Not Alone. Over time, that aspect of the scent gains strength and ends up dominating, with only a hint of the mulled wine. Wild, because I usually amp the Lab's wine note.

I want this wine but without the wool blanket.

Well, this is just delightful.

I was a little nervous to order this one, because spice blends tend to irritate my skin, and I assumed the mulled wine part of this would have cinnamon or something. But it has the Lab's wool note, so I had to have it. 

Fortunately there is no spice to be found! This blend is very fruity. There must be orange in the mulled wine part, because I'm getting a lot of bright citrus with the red smell. 

The wool blanket is like the wool note found in Fuzzy Peach Sweater and a Mug of London Fog, which is to say cozy AF. 

I love this. I want to wrap myself up in this every day. I'll be going back for at least one backup.

Fruity wine with light spices and orange and a beautiful fuzzy wool note underneath. I was worried it would be too sweet on me sniffing the bottle but the wool and hearth smoke temper the sweetness and it is utterly perfect. It's a cozy winter evening in a bottle. 

So so good. It starts out a bit grapey on me, which had me worrying, but that quickly fades into a darker, deeper wine. Theres a bit of spiced warmth and smoke that blends really well with what has come to be the expected "wool blanket" or sweater smell. A tiny bit laundry-ish (not a bad thing for me) but probably the least so out of all the similar blends Ive tried. I absolutely love this one and I cant stop sniffing it!

In the bottle, I smell a really nicely spiced cherry wine, bright with some orange and cinnamon, not aged, but not sour either. The moment it hits my skin, the cherry wine fades and a very clean (VERY clean) sweater takes its place. It's fortunately not a laundry soap smell, like I don't think there is white musk here, but it is a cottony/woolly fiber that has just been washed and still smells like fresh detergent. For me, this is a different wool than either the "A Cozy Sweater and Apple Cider" Weenie (very laundry) or "Cafe Au Lait and a Wool Blanket" (cozy and cashmeran).

I don't go in much for cottony scents, so I don't know what else to compare it to from the BPAL catalogue, but if you've smelled traditional cotton-scented candles or wax melts, it is similar to this. The mulled wine becomes a distant memory, and it's all clean sweater all the time. However, if your skin tends to amp a wine note, you're in luck! The mulled wine here is indeed so pretty, and the cotton/wool blend is very cozy.

Be advised, this is quite strong, a little dab was perfect for me. I think I will be letting my bottle go, only because it dries down on me to the kind of scent I don't really wear, but I can see many being a fan of it!