Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fear of Loud Noises

Christmas crackers detonating like mortars: cinnamon-soaked black musk.

[Please note: cinnamon perfume contains cinnamon. If you have sensitivities, please pass on this one.]

Edited by zankoku_zen

There’s some... well, alchemy to the way cinnamon and black musk combine in Phonophobia to create a little pop like a Christmas cracker when I smell it in the bottle. After I apply it, there’s a woodsy quality. The cinnamon is dry and tones down the lemony quality that I usually detect in black musk. Don’t be afraid; it’s not loud.

These are two of the best notes for me and I’m always looking for something that captures the Playful Wooden Mallets magic, so it was easy to decide on this bottle purchase. I’m happy to say that it’s a close relative of PWM without being a duplicate.

Edited by boomtownrat
Weird formatting

From the listed notes, I expected a knockback cinnamon black musk with loads of throw, but actually, Phonophobia doesn't overwhelm. It's not super soft, but it is much more mellow than Christmas crackers, and more mellow than how loud cinnamon and black musk can be on me.

The notes are as described: cinnamon and dark vetiver-lemon musk. Sometimes I think I also get a little whiff of clove or other spice.

Dry cinnamon and black musk. It's more like a dark cinnamon musk if you ask me. Medium throw and wear length.

Sweet, spicy musk. On me, the musk is less like black musk, & more like the perfumey, "classic" musk of Miss Forcible +  The Other Miss Forcible. The cinnamon is dry & subtle. I'll definitely wear my decant, but I don't need a full bottle.

Upon initial application I get cinnamon, musk, and fir trees. It's a dry, subtle cinnamon, not the red hots type. I have sensitive skin, and this isn't burning at all.

On drydown the cinnamon is just a mild backing note to the black musk. I still get occasional whiffs of fir trees. I think there may be some sandalwood in this as well.

On full drydown I get black leather, what I think is sandalwood, and black musk. The cinnamon is but a faint memory. The musk is becoming powdery on me like it always does. I like powdery scents, but it's just a light dusting, so don't fear if powder notes worry you. The cinnamon is still barely there. It is sitting very close to the skin now with a throw of about an inch. I have to hold my arm close to my nose to smell anything. Given the strength, I think if placed on the pulse points of the neck, it would still be sniffable to the wearer. I was worried for a while that this would be too masculine on me, but I love the opening and the drydown. For about an hour between those two stages, it is definitely reminiscent of men's cologne. I am more than willing to tolerate that stage because it's mostly a nice, dry, comforting scent. 

P.S. I am almost 100% sure there is sandalwood here contributing to the woody/powdery drydown. It never goes full powder, and maintains a mainly woody musk at the end.

4 out of 5 stars.