Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Social Justice Paladin

Bright copal, amber, and frankincense. This would be a great RPG layering blend as well. It's a bright amber heavy blend. Great throw and wear length.

A well-blended copal-champaca-amber-frankincense, with an itty-bitty lemon whiff now and then.

I didn't expect this to take me back to my earliest gaming days, but it did.

Whoah. This is Very Pretty. This is a blast of white light. I have never tried any of the TAL blends but this feels like it would be a TAL blend. Break down the doors of darkness. 

I'm not familiar with champaca but since I am on easy terms with frank and amber I can subtract those and get a read on the flower note. It reads as a crisp bright white flower, like daffodil or perhaps gardenia but not quite as heady. It's a stunningly bright, modern, very fresh floral, with the lemon providing just the right amount of bite. This is springtime in a bottle. I typically can't do florals -- like, at all -- but I can do this one since it reads as one clean flower and not a million confusing flowers. As a floral hater, color me impressed. Granted, it's a little pious for everyday wear, but I can easily see myself reaching for this on dreary winter days when I need sunlight, or when it's time for righteous justice. The throw will announce your intent.

Shining is absolutely spot-on. At the intersection of gleaming RPG Paladin and fervent To My Dear and Loving Husband lies Social Justice Paladin. It shares the purity and brightness of the original Paladin, while leading with the two main notes of Husband, champaca and copal. For those who fear Lemon Pledge from the lemon peel, have no fear; I wouldn't even guess from just sniffing that this has citrus in it. Mostly what the lemon seems to be doing is brightening and buffing up the other notes like a soft cloth, rather than blasting it with actual cleaner fluid. Also missing in action to my nose are the amber and frankincense, two notes I love.

So why was this a miss for me? It comes down to champaca and copal, two notes I enjoy in other blends but when they hold hands, it's vaguely unsettling. The high-pitched resin of the copal amplifies the fiercely cheerful champaca until these notes are both screaming in my nose. They hogged the limelight in Husband, and they are a smugly polished pair here. I will be avoiding this particular duo in future blends, but if they work for you, Social Justice Paladin may be the armor you need for these times.

Recommended for fans of To My Dear and Loving Husband, Paladin, Fighter.

Breathtakingly pretty, much different than what I expected! The floral notes sing on my skin, beautiful and confident. This perfume is very lifted, not a heavy resin/incense scent at all. I'm so stoked that I finally got to try this!

Champaca has been an obsession for a while now, and this scent is very champaca-forward, with the spiciness from frankincense and a mellow amber. I'm not sure how or if the lemon peel is contributing, which is good because I was nervous about too much lemony citrus stuff. Warm, sweet, and floral - on the feminine side but not girly, if that makes sense. The first few times I wore it the scent faded fast and just became kind of powdery, but today I decided to slather it on and it's still going strong hours later, and actually seems to have more of a spice note too.

I wore this for good energy while working on the election this year - but it's not just the smell of phonebanking.

I mostly got amber, lemon peel, and champaca from this. It smells pretty clean, almost like soap but doesn't quite reach there.

I haven't tried Paladin from the RPG line, but looking at the notes I don't think they will smell similar since I couldn't get frankincense from this. I think this would be good for layering, it's pretty on it's own but not my kind of thing. It's a little too much amber for me. But if you love that note and like the rest, I would suggest trying it out!