Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leah703

The Mysterious Rappings Polka

As performed by Griffiths Quadrille Band in a Mysteriously Effective Manner and Dedicated to all Lovers of “the Mysterious”.

It really was a thing. Rose musk with pink and black pepper, a splash of bay rum, tobacco absolute, and toffee.

In the bottle: Dark toffee with something sharp in the background, perhaps the rum. Fresh out of the mailbox this did not smell good but now that it's rested a bit it's much better.

Wet on skin: The rose musk and the pink and black pepper come out. The pepper is making this unexpectedly spicy, almost a bit savory until the rum and tobacco come more to the foreground.

Dry: I'm getting a sweet musky, spicy tobacco. I tend to amp sweetness so this would probably smell great on a man as well. I would imagine this will get even better with age.

Toffee, rose musk, bay rum and tobacco. Whee! This is like a toffee decided to take voodoo and got splashed with bay rum, tobacco, roses, and pepper. Yup, so pretty much this is voodoo toffee. Eat a piece, and you know, hauntings can start happening. And before you know it, there's red brick all over, you've managed to piss off some spirit, and we're in the middle of New Orleans asking for someone to please please tell us what is happening or how to break this curse, and a chicken is being killed for augury. Great throw and wear length, obviously, because you know this is more than a 2 hour movie plot line.

The rum and tobacco worried me in the vial because sometimes rum smells a bit off on me. No worries, the other scents are strong enough to hold their own, all that toffee and sweet pink rose musk, and just a bit of spice. This is one seriously cheerful scent for me, but then I wouldn't expect a supernatural polka themed scent to have a solemn feel. It's a bit pink but the rum and tobacco give it a unisex edge.

Ideal cold winter scent, because I don't know whether the tobacco would be too overwhelming in warm weather.

There's something very old fashioned about this in a toffee in an old country store sort of way.

Edited by patina

This is one if the more unusual scents I have enjoyed from BPAL. (Unusual wearable, not unusual Gore Shockesque!) I am not used to so many things going on at once. The only thing that bars complete enjoyment for me is that the toffee is a little too sweet. This is something you want to wear home when you can keep your nose to your wrist and enjoy the morphing.

The Mysterious Rappings Polka is one that I didn't get a decant of because I had to draw the line somewhere, but I was watching the reviews.  Then I was gifted a decant by an ultra-lovely forumite, and I'm so glad I got to try it.  It's really interesting, and I mean that in a good way.  It actually reminded me somewhat of An Encampment of Shepherds from the recent Weenies, which had rose tobacco and oudh instead of rose musk and tobacco.  So there's definitely a rosy tobacco note, which does not go sour on me as rose sometimes does, but here it meets toffee and bay rum.  The pepper keeps the toffee from becoming ridiculously sweet, and the rum stays pretty mellow, and it all works together surprisingly well.  Good wear length too, and pretty unisex despite the rose.  A keeper!

This smells kind of sweet and savory at the same time, it's just totally well-blended and nothing really stands out, although I can pick out aspects of rose musk and toffee.  It kind of reminds me of a Yule cousin of Bad Luck Woman Blues, without any dirt note.  For such an odd mix of notes, it's really smooth and well-behaved.  It also reminds me a little of one of the Halloweenies scents from the last few years - I can't remember the name but it's some kind of rose scent. 

I'm glad to have this!  Looks like not many people went for it.  : )