Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Frostbitten Cheshire Cat

[No additional description provided.]

I am going to apologize in advance for this review, because I don't think it will be that helpful re: the snow note.

In the bottle and on my skin, Frostbitten Cheshire Cat is strong on the Cheshire Cat component. So much so, that while I can tell it is indeed Cheshire Cat plus something, it is hard for me to identify what that something is, because the Cheshire Cat has decided to curl up on top of it! This is a grapefruit PARTY on my skin, so if you are a grapefruit lover, and you like Cheshire Cat, you should check this one out. It takes about an hour and a half for it to calm down, and when it does, I still get a lot of Cheshire Cat, but the Frostbitten component is becoming more noticeable. I am still having trouble pinpointing what it is underneath all of this Cheshire Cat, so I will just give a list of things that it is not: it is not the sweet snow note from Snow White; it is not the slushy snow note of Skadi; it is not the intensely minty snow note; it's not the sweet, powdery, pine-y snow of NYC Snowball Fight; it's not the powdery, wintergreen or spearmint-y snow of Winter-Time, and it definitely does NOT have the same snowy component as Frostbitten Zombi, so trying one Frostbitten this year won't really give you an idea of the rest. If anything, it might be a white musk snow, or maybe that's just Cheshire Cat's dark musk mingling with whatever comprises the snow note. If I sniff really close, I get a bit of coolness from the frostbitten note, but it's light, and I never had a cooling sensation on my skin with this like I did with Frostbitten Zombi.

I was hoping for Cheshire Cat plus Snow White's snow note. That is not what I ended up getting, but I am still happy that I grabbed a bottle, because Cheshire Cat is one of my favorite GCs, and I love grapefruit. :)

I get coconut snow (more like in Snow White), with grapefruit, lavender and a whiff of red currant. I am really amping up the lavender in this blend, combined with the coconut snow, I get a coconut-lavender mix which is very comforting and delightful. It was much more citrusy on wet, but it dries to a beautiful coconut-lavender. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: Blast of grapefruit from Cheshire Cat! Once the initial grapefruit shock wears off, this smells like Cheshire Cat + snow slush. 

Dry: The grapefruit note has faded quite a bit. This is a very soft Cheshire Cat scent now, with what I would describe as a "fresh snow" type of note. The frostbitten part definitely isn't dominant, this is still... 80% Cheshire Cat? Somewhere around there.

Cheshire Cat is one of my all time favorite scents, and while I do enjoy this interpretation, I haven't decided if it's bottle-worthy yet. That being said, if you enjoyed the original, you'll probably enjoy this as well! 

This is very pleasant. I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle because I'm trying to train myself to only buy bottles that I absolutely love, but I am definitely keeping the decant. I enjoy grapefruit and cheshire cat in general and this blend mixes it with what I imagine is a very soft and fluffy snow. The grapefruit is only strong on the initial application but mellow out. Not much throw on me but decent staying power. Soft and pleasant.

This is so beautiful, but so short-lived on my skin.

The frostbitten element and the grapefruit are gorgeous! Very dainty and refined. A very good variation of the GC.

The grapefruit in this is initially fairly strong but does fade. It actually lasts a decent amount of time on me before fading, unlike in plain Cheshire Cat.

The lavender is there, but mild. Very muffled by the snow note. A little soapy unfortunately.

The snow note in this is definitely in the same wheel house as the Snow White snow note, but isn't just screaming 'Snow White' like it has in a few of these other Frostbitten blends. The floral edge to it is a lot more muted, leaving more of that fluffy aquatic. It doesn't really help in making the lavender any less soapy, but it's at least not just driving this scent to be purely Snow White.

While I do pick up some sort of vague planty something in the background, it's very mild, and very buried. Assuming that's the delphinium and/or the chamomile.

Admittedly I found plain Cheshire Cat to have a bit of a weird funk to it that this one actually lacks. I think it's from the dark musk, and that seems to get entirely covered up by the snow note in this.

Overall a pretty successful Frostbitten blend though. It has a good amount of both snow and the qualities of the original.

Oh dear.

I'm standing in a white field, snow gently drifting down. I inhale. Sweet. Cool. Clean. 

I look down and I am covered in playing cards, a full suit if you will. 

In the distance there is a greenhouse, and through the towering walls of glass I can see plants and fruits, towering grapefruit trees, overladen with their crop, bushels upon bushels of currants, just waiting to be picked, purple and blue stalks of flowers, and the gentle sprigs of chamomile. I rush towards it, my paper suit unfit for the cold, and i try the door. Locked. I hear a growling behind me, and I turn, a deep shadowy musky beast rearing up from the snow. I bang on the door, begging, pleading to be let into that herbal paradise, but the beast strikes, and I fall into the snow, drowning and choking on overpowering musky fumes. As my sight fades away I see the grinning smile of a cat, a final brief hint of what might have been.....

Yeah some dark musk loves me, some hates me. This is the second, and it overtakes the snowy start and turns into horror. I've gotten no grapefruit, no florals, basically frostbitten black musk.