Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Loviatar - Resurrected

These long-dead scents are back for a limited time in a slightly tweaked form!

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

The Bitch is back, and we're gonna be in trouble....

Out of all the Resurrected blends, I was most excited for Loviatar. And this most certainly does not disappoint. Loviatar 2.0 is very, very close to OG Loviatar, although of course it's tough to compare a fresh-from-the-mailbox blend with one that's been aging in a cool, dark box since...2005? But I'll try.

Loviatar 2.0 gives off that same radiant warmth of amber, musk, and myrrh, wrapped up in the sexy, smoky embrace of leather. Loviatar is confident, sensual, even elegant. But that doesn't mean it's soft. This is elegance with an edge. It's the scent of that seductive, prowling strut you can achieve only when you feel completely comfortable in your own skin--and those thigh-high leather boots don't hurt, either. This is sexy with a hint of sweetness, powerful, and perfect. My only complaint is that it's no longer available in 10mL form!

I have not tried the original.

In the imp: The red musk stands out to me the most, followed by the leather, and then the resins. Red musk tends to declare dominion over other notes on me, so I do not have high hopes for this… but I couldn’t resist trying it!

Wet: The red musk is indeed quite prominent, and the leather note definitely reads as hot. I am also getting more of the black amber on my skin than I did from the imp, which is a pleasant surprise. The red musk is going strong, but it hasn’t succeeded in stomping all over the other notes, which seem to be getting more prominent as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: The red musk is still the dominant note, but the leather and resins are stronger than they were before.

After a while, the red musk calms down a little to allow the hot leather to play a greater role. The black amber and myrrh are a lot stronger now, too. This is a warm, sexy leather and resin scent.

Verdict: I am so glad that the red musk allowed the other notes to have a chance to shine! The wet stage is still a little too heavy on the red musk for me, but it’s pretty great once it is dry. I am definitely going to hold on to my imp, and I’ll give it a full-day test before deciding whether or not I need more. :)

aahhhhhhh. i wanted to love this one because i loooooove red musk, but.... i couldn't. i had to wash it off with the quickness. something about it smells just like kitty litter to me :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

I have not tried the original Loviatar but I am a huge fan of red musk and leather! (Eldritch Dark, I'm looking at you! ;) )

In the bottle: Loads of red musk with a background of black leather. Let's see how this goes on my skin.

On my skin: The leather in this blend is absolutely gorgeous. It is black leather with the tiniest hint of smoke (reminds me of the leather in Riding Crop SN). I definitely smell more amber and myrrh on my skin than in the bottle, but both of those notes are floating in the background of the scent. The red musk gives it a hint of sweetness but it is fairly subtle on my skin compared to the superstar leather note! This is like Eldritch Dark's badass boyfriend. Loviatar is less sweet, no rose.

Strong throw, long wear!

I have never tried the original.

Wet: Whoo! Lots of red musk. Quickly followed by some smooth black leather. Luckily it's the kind of leather I can wear, so I am stoked. This is an awesome combo. The amber adds sweet depth. The Myrrh gives it a faint incensey sort of vibe. This is so sexy.

Dry: Dries much softer than I anticipated. It's quite god, subtly sexy, but not "in your face" sex. Primarily leather and soft red musk. This will age really well I think. I get why it's a classic, and I am glad to have it in my collection.

Right off, this reminds me of Eldritch Dark, a blend which I'm now regretting giving up. I thought I was done with leather, but after Loviatar, I'm hooked again. Leather, musk and myrrh. I'm loving this, and it will only get better with age. Eldritch fans should definitely seek out.

Loviatar is in my top 5 forever-favorites, and has been since I first got into BPAL over a decade ago. This is a perfect leather blend. Smoky, slick, sexy, powerful, composed and darkly radiant. It's a simple blend but each note is accounted for and perfectly balanced, and damn if it only gets better with age. One of the prized gems in my collection that changes my mood instantly into an armored warrior. Just. Gah. A great example of the Lab's singular niche, because I haven't encountered anything else like this one. *chef kiss*