Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tarotgirl99

Fortuna Huiusce Diei

The Luck of the Day

A hymn to seizing good fortune in the moment: orange blossom and wild bergamot sweetened with apricot.

As much as I dislike Fortuna Liberum, that's how much I LOVE Fortuna Huiusce Diei. Though don't ask me to spell it.

In the bottle, the orange blossom (one of my favorite notes in the history of notes) is predominant.

On my skin, it remains dominant. The bergamot is the Mary Wilson of base notes, visible, complementing and supportive without taking center stage. Much as I love apricot, it does not initially present.

On dry down, the apricot is still backstage. The scent is gently refreshing, a harbinger of a most desirable spring.

I love it and plan to wear it in winter to remind me that another, less tumultuous and challenging season, beckons. I'll also wear it in the Spring.

Summer and fall, too. It's lovely.

Sour herb? in the bottle and on application. It smells greasy, if that's a thing. Clearly wild bergamot disagrees with me. I mean really disagrees; this smells like puke for about half a minute.

Eventually the fog of vomit clears and the lovely, delicate apricot from Katharina appears, and that's where it stays, mercifully. The gross wet stage is over very quickly — less than five minutes. So big thumbs up on the finish if you can get past the opener. :) The beautiful apricot stays like 10 hours, although it doesn't have much throw.

Edited by Soupy Twist

Agreed, Soupy Twist.......the opening is really kind of funky and I thought I made a mistake here......orange blossom is really iffy with me (even though I want to love it and pretty much refuse to give up)......sometimes it's ok, sometimes I don't like it.

After a short while, maybe 10 minutes, this calms down a lot and turns into this delightful herbal somewhat fruity blend that will smell really good when the weather starts to warm up (which I am so ready for...). This might be one of those scents that I dislike at first and grow to LOVE (I think I already do love it). I put on some more so I can experience that weird opening again, and transformation into....I'm not sure how to describe, but it's just herbal fruity loveliness. I'm not detecting individual notes here. That funky opening phase kind of provides a weird undercurrent that is just so intriguing, kind of a raspy feeling? It keeps me wanting to sniff this up close.

I do have a Chaos Theory IV that I've always thought of as orange blossom spice marshmallow, and I like it but it's a little too strong sometimes. This is kind of close to that but even more wearable. I'm not sure I need both? Bottle upgrade possibly?

It also kind of reminds me of Habit Rouge, which I only just realized.

Edit to add: I don't detect much bergamot, but I do pick up a hint of white floral which makes sense since orange blossom is a white floral I think? Some of you might amp that part

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Wow, there's the apricot. I am not so good at distinguishing fruit notes, but yes, apricot! With a little bit of orange blossom. Honestly, I was hoping for more orange blossom, but I like this, although fruity scents make me think bath bomb/lotion more than perfume oil.

As the above reviews, I get the funkiness too. Only for me, it stays. This one just really didn't work which was upsetting because I blind bottled it because it sounded so amazing. I wish I knew what note in it ruined it for me though, so I know to avoid that note again.

Oh goodness. This one took me on a rollercoaster ride. When I opened the decant, all I could think was, "why does it smell like a pickle???" I was prepared to be disappointed. It smelled sour and herbal, and really off-putting tbh. When I put it on my wrist, it morphed rapidly. At first, it smelled like the taste of a plant I once ate a bit of just to see if the plant in the centerpiece was real or not (I was a grown adult at the time, and I make bad decisions sometimes, but I figured out that the plant was indeed real). It was sour and and distinctly green. Both the plant and this perfume oil. After another few seconds, I was hit with a wave of apricot. Ok, so apricot and something green. It still didn't smell nice. But then the apricot sweetened. The green scent distinguished itself as a green citrus, which would be the bergamot. There's a tiny hint of the floral from the orange blossom, but it's barely there on me. Suddenly, this is very pretty and fresh. It doesn't have great throw on me, but it lasts for forever.