Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sword aloft, eternally resting beside Andromeda, Algol flickering in the gorgon's head.

Greek sage and iris, leather, and ambergris, with a dark gleam of patchouli-soaked blackcurrant.

The sage dominates in this muted, close-wearing blend. I expected the leather and ambergris to be prominent, but even after several days of testing I can't pick it up on my skin. The patchouli has the very faintest hint of fruity purpleness to it, and stays in the background. I love this because the sage note is truly beautiful, soft-edged and grey-green, cozy rather than harshly herbal. Sage is one of my favourite notes and there aren't enough BPALs that bust it out. But I wish there was more throw or lasting power, and in fact I'm puzzled that there isn't, given the notes. Aging might bring out some more depth.

Perseus is a very light blend, with feather-soft sage, patchouli, and black currant. The iris, leather, and ambergris are like a whisper. This is a gentle herbal blend on my skin, almost like an infused tea. I agree that aging may bring out a stronger voice in this blend and look forward to testing it again in the future.

Much lighter than I expected! The ambergris is prominent on my skin as usual, and its warmth plays well with the warmth of the sage. Patch has been iffy on my skin as of late so I am not too sad that it is barely there on me, and the leather is very soft as well. I got just a hint of black currant wet, adding a nice sweetness. Dry its a cuddly herbal skin scent.

I get a soapy blast in the bottle, but within seconds on my skin, I get the aforementioned purpleness and the iris and sage. This has low throw and now, just a few minutes after I applied it to the back of my hands, I can barely smell it. Oh wait! Now I'm getting the leather. Not getting much patchouli... but a little blackcurrant around the edges. It smells very clean but also very dry. Might be the ambergris--salty and dry. Interesting. The scents come and go and there's a dynamic interchange here where you think one note has gone away, but it comes back later on.

I like scents with low throw because I easily get headaches from strong scents and with this, I forget it's on and then I smell my hand and it's like I have a little secret that no one knows about. ;)

In the imp: A very light scent, almost carbonated. I think I'm getting the sage and ambergris mostly, but it's more like the scent of sage carried on the breeze. I think I'm getting the florals after some pretty determined sniffing, but it's more like iris root than iris; quite powdery. And finally, I think I can get the patchouli and purple fruit way down at the base, but I've never smelled dark, heavy scents like these so lightly - barely a whiff.

Wet: The sage immediately steps to the fore, which I could not be happier about. The ambergris really weds it to my skin, and the leather and patch start to make themselves known a bit more. The iris drifts in and out. It's still a very light, elusive scent, but I'm liking it a lot better now. It feels...well-bred, for lack of a better word; subtle and understated. Definitely not what I was expecting, what with the leather, "patchouli-soaked blackcurrant," etc., but lovely all the same.

Dry: A gently herbal, musky leather, actually fairly similar to Anthony, albeit with occasional whiffs of a particularly sweet, fruity patchouli. It's still a very soft, subtle scent, but also a reassuring one. I'm going to reach for this one on days when I feel unsettled and unsure and need some grounding. <3

Wet: Musky and herbal, this is much lighter and actually more pleasant than I anticipated. Somewhat masculine. The leather is well worn, but sort of gritty. This is interesting. Lots of sage coming through (I always expect it to smell like the spice - which smells like Thanksgiving to me, lol - but it doesn't).

Dry: Weirdly, this dries to an iris and blackcurrant scent that is almost plum-like. Sort, fruity, girly. I like it. It's not something I can really see reaching for often, but I do enjoy it.

Sage, black currant, and brown leather. It's a herby masculine leaning blend. Good throw and wear length. Golden, despite not having an amber like element.

I am jealous others are getting a lot of sage on this! The patchouli is very smooth, light, the blackcurrant and worn leather dominant. There is a suggestion of ambergris, but it is not strong on my skin. There morphs quite a bit and final dry down is that lovely powdery iris which lured me in the first place. Low throw, low longevity.