Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fear of Cemeteries

Upturned earth, moss-damp and thick with creeping things. A shard of mahogany from a broken casket. Creaking marble doors pushing open under moonlit skies.

In the decant: Diiiiirt. Also, some patchouli and mahogany. But mostly, dirt.

Wet: Upturned earth and mahogany. I believe this is the same mahogany note found in The Red Queen. Then, the moss emerges, and what I think may be the marble note. This dirt scent is actually a lot lighter than I thought it would be.

Dry: Mostly dirt, moss, and what I think may be the marble. The mahogany note seems to have gone away.

Verdict: I wanted to try this, since I like dirt scents. It's actually surprisingly light, and not as menacing as one might think it would be, given the name.

Coimetrophobia is the calmer, more complex older cousin of the Graveyard Dirt single note. The heavy wet earth smell that the lab does *so well* fades into the background of a slightly drier, woodier and very still earth smell that is perfectly evocative of a Midwestern cemetery on a crisp night in early fall, right before the leaves are done changing color. As the scent dries, the mahogany becomes more pronounced on me but it doesn't lose that earthy edge.

I'd highly recommend this to folks who love the idea of graveyard dirt smells, but find other ones from the lab to be a bit too much for them!

Graveyard Dirt is one of my absolute favourite scents. i adore it. i've tried "dirt" and "earth" type scents from other companies and none of them compare.

at first, this blend seems like it might be based on Graveyard Dirt, and maybe it is, and for the first couple of hours it was nice. like a cousin of both The Premature Burial (my absolute favourite BPAL, ever) and Graveyard Dirt.

but after a few hours, it morphed. dramatically, on me. i think it might be that "marble" note that goes wrong... either that or the moss?

back in the late 80s and early 90s, my cousin lived with us - my mom's nephew - and the closest thing to a brother i'll ever have. we've never had too much in common, i had more in common with his big brother who's about 20 years older than me.

anyway, like many young men around that time, my cousin wore Drakkar Noir. at one time, in one of the houses we lived in, his room was at the bottom of the stairs, and mine was at the top of the stairs. something about the air currents brought soooo much of that Drakkar Noir up onto the landing outside my door, and every.single.time it was insta-headache.

still is, even all these years later. the cologne may have been reformulated but whatever gives me sick headaches from it is still there.

and sadly after about three hours, on me Coimetrophobia becomes all too Drakkar-y. two other oils, three soaps, vinegar, and a bit of household cleanser (an accident, but still) and i can still smell it on my hand even from a few feet away.

Wet: Mmmm!! You know how Penny Dreadful is like dirt with pretty, feminine perfume? Well this is like dirt with sexy, down and dirty cologne/perfume. The mahogany gives and almost chewy, sort of tobacco like note that I am LOVING. Yum. Sexy dirt. I love to wear earthy perfumes with a twist while I go hiking, this smells like it would be perfect.

Dry: I really like this. This is the best earth scent I have tried in a while. It's spicy, rich, a bit sweet. The earth note in it is gorgeous. I really do like it. Not sure if I would reach for it enough to justify it - I need to have a think about how many dirt scents I've got going on and how often I wear them. This one is really good though and I encourage dirt scent lovers to give it a shot!

Moss, mahogany and dirt. To me, this ends up being a very Southern gothic gentleman's cologne. Sort of aquatic, woodsy, folksy. Medium throw and wear length.

I don't know how Beth does it. Wet, Coimetrophobia is damp earth. Soil. Loam, turf, dirt with bright green moss growing on it. It's the most astonishingly realistic sensation. And within about a half hour, it has developed into what smells like it ought to cost $180 a bottle at Nordstrom, something incredibly elegant and urbane. It's the scent your butler chooses for you after polishing the marble and mahogany in your drawing room. I had no idea graveyard dirt would become this stunning! So delighted I got to try this decant.

Ahhhhh yes this is good - a dirt + moss combo exactly like in Druid, but cold and dry where Druid is warm and moist. Much more sleek and mainstream. There's also something creamy floral in here, I'm guessing from the "moonlit skies".