Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nagi Mahe

The Center

“What is the word for it? The opposite of sacred?”

“Profane,” said Shadow, without thinking.

“No,” said Czernobog. “I mean, when a place is less sacred than any other place. Of negative sacredness. Places where they can build no temples. Places where people will not come, and will leave as soon as they can. Places where gods only walk if they are forced to.”

“I don’t know,” said Shadow. “I don’t think there is a word for it.”

“All of America has it, a little,” said Czernobog. “That is why we are not welcome here. But the center,” said Czernobog. “The center is worst. Is like a minefield. We all tread too carefully there to dare break the truce.”

Peeling paint, faded wallpaper and threadbare carpets, flickering neon, candlewax, and a fading whiff of Jack Daniels.

Strange scent... i get J.D., wood and plastic at first. I was hoping for a little candle wax in here. After an hour or so, i have started to smell like paint and gloss lol. A real morpher, but not unpleasant! Medium throw, longer lasting than most. The booze and paint notes are the most prominent.

In the Bottle:

Exactly as the description! Paint, old carpet worn to the heavy backing, a little wax and old booze

On the Skin:

Wow. Musty, old sacking/carpet and paint. Dusty and musty. It smells exactly like some old/well used buildings I have been in. Almost cloyingly sweet with mould/mildew.

On the Drydown:

Probably not something I would wear out but I find this comforting and would wear at home on a rainy dull day. It actually ends up quite sweet and musty. Lasting power isn't as long as I would like.

Musty carpet, candle wax, and whiff of stale booze. This smells like it also has a bit of mildew in it. Damp, depressive, and desperate. Medium throw and wear length.

I like spooky, haunted house, atmospheric scents. The Hall's Foyer at Dusk is one of my favorite atmosphere sprays for this feel. When I wear The Center, I keep thinking that I smell like I'm staying in a hotel, especially when first applied. It does smell like paint and old, cleaned-a-million-times-but-not-enough carpet. I like that smell. It's not dirty or dusty or moldy smelling to me, but it's worn-in and definitely plasticy (like the scent of opening rubber pool toys). Where Roadside Attractions stays as sweet paint, carpet powder and fresh cucumber scent to me, this dries down with a warm, smoky undertone that's something like dry, grassy vetiver and clove with old, warm wood and hints of clean, plasticy paint. I don't exactly get booze or beeswax, but I think they're combining into that softly sweet, glowing, warm, old wooden floors feel.

Whiskey, paint, and a latex-like neon note are the first notes that leap out at me. Then the beeswax emerges after a few minutes. It adds a welcome sweetness while also helping to smooth over the sharper notes. But the latex-y neon note reasserts itself. So there is some tug of war between the sharper, weirder notes and the sweet beeswax. But by the end of the day, I get some carpet with a splash of whiskey and candlewax. It smells warm, sweet, and a little dusty.

Of the weirder American Gods scents, this one is more wearable thanks to the beeswax helping to tame the harsher scent notes. It's not something I need more of, but I do think it is an interesting scent experience (and I'd wear this over God's Own Country any day).

This was a trip. First stop, basement of an abandoned building. A strong chemical smell pervades the room, lacquered paint chips are scattered over a moldering carpet. Unsettling, I feel like there are secrets in the walls. 

Then, I kid you not, I'm transported to a cozy candlelit cabin curled up with a book and a bottle of whiskey. You have to make it through the nightmare to get to the good part of the dream.