Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stellamaris

Ibis and Jacquel's Funeral Parlor Atmosphere Spray

Ibis and Jacquel was a small, family-owned funeral home: one of the last truly independent funeral homes in the area, or so Mr. Ibis maintained. Most fields of human merchandising value nationwide brand identities, he said. Mr. Ibis spoke in explanations: a gentle, earnest lecturing that put Shadow in mind of a college professor who used to work out at the Muscle Farm and who could not talk, could only discourse, expound, explain. Shadow had figured out within the first few minutes of meeting Mr. Ibis that his expected part in any conversation with the funeral director was to say as little as possible. This, I believe, is because people like to know what they are getting ahead of time. Thus, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, F. W. Woolworth (of blessed memory): store brands maintained and visible across the entire country. Wherever you go, you will get something that is, with small regional variations, the same.

In the field of funeral homes, however, things are, perforce, different. You need to feel that you are getting small-town personal service from someone who has a calling to the profession. You want personal attention to you and your loved one in a time of great loss. You wish to know that your grief is happening on a local level, not on a national one. But in all branches of industryand death is an industry, my young friend, make no mistake about thatone makes ones money from operating in bulk, from buying in quantity, from centralizing ones operations. Its not pretty, but its true. Trouble is, no one wants to know that their loved ones are traveling in a cooler-van to some big old converted warehouse where they may have twenty, fifty, a hundred cadavers on the go. No, sir. Folks want to think theyre going to a family concern, somewhere theyll be treated with respect by someone wholl tip his hat to them if he sees them in the street.

Mr. Ibis wore a hat. It was a sober brown hat that matched his sober brown blazer and his sober brown face. Small gold-rimmed glasses perched on his nose. In Shadows memory Mr. Ibis was a short man; whenever he would stand beside him, Shadow would rediscover that Mr. Ibis was well over six feet in height, with a cranelike stoop. Sitting opposite him now, across the shiny red table, Shadow found himself staring into the mans face.

So when the big companies come in they buy the name of the company, they pay the funeral directors to stay on, they create the apparency of diversity. But that is merely the tip of the gravestone. In reality, they are as local as Burger King. Now, for our own reasons, we are truly an independent. We do all our own embalming, and its the finest embalming in the country, although nobody knows it but us. We dont do cremations, though. We could make more money if we had our own crematorium, but it goes against what were good at. What my business partner says is, if the Lord gives you a talent or a skill, you have an obligation to use it as best you can. Dont you agree?

Sounds good to me, said Shadow.

The Lord gave my business partner dominion over the dead, just as he gave me skill with words. Fine things, words. I write books of tales, you know. Nothing literary. Just for my own amusement. Accounts of lives. He paused. By the time Shadow realized that he should have asked if he might be allowed to read one, the moment had passed. Anyway, what we give them here is continuity: theres been an Ibis and Jacquel in business here for almost two hundred years. We werent always funeral directors, though. We used to be morticians, and before that, undertakers.

And before that?

Well, said Mr. Ibis, smiling just a little smugly, we go back a very long way

Egyptian embalming compound: beeswax and fir resin, myrrh, natron salt, cassia, palm wine, lichen, henna, and camphor.

This is beautiful, very complex. The beeswax is the most prominent on first spraying , along with a sort of milky cassia thing. This is an intriguing and complex scent but very easy to love

This was eerily accurate. I definitely get the beeswax up front but the camphor and other Embalming chemicals are prominent. (This is not like the GC Embalming Fluid scent, it's more like real Embalming stuff) Having worked in a Gross Anatomy lab, I can attest that this is how preserved cadavers smell. Well, a little more formaldehyde to be honest, but this is more like what I imagined Embalming chemicals smelled like before widespread use of formaldehyde.

This morphs to a more resinous scent, reminiscent of the Ibis and Jacquel Neil Gaiman scents released previously, with the camphor and Embalming herbs beneath. Myrrh, beeswax, fir, and what I think may be the Henna are detectable.

Love this. Not sure about a whole bottle but I may need another decant...

Edited by sprout

Lots of beeswax, which is realistically sweet, honeyed, and waxy. Smells like burning candles and sweet resins with hints of spiciness from the cassia and a touch of cool, misty fir.

Reminds me of atmosphere sprays like Alchemical Laboratory and Templum Victoriae. A sweet, honeyed, waxy, warm incense fragrance.

Resiny beeswax with touches of incense and fir. It smells polished, and wooden, and beeswax. It really did sort of feel like polished floors, and incense. Somber, and regal. Good throw and wear length.

I wanted to like this so much more than I did. Ordered it when I was going through a myrrh craze earlier this year, but every time I spray it, it's much too sweet for me. I like the idea, but my rooms may be too small for the concentration.

Very red, spicy wine, like something you'd drink warmed at Christmas.  This one's got legs.  I&JFP reminds me of Unicorn Hunt and Centzon Totochtin.  (Perhaps Jacquel occasionally rabbit-sits for his Aztec buddy?)  It mellows after a bit, becoming more complex and less reminiscent of holidays.  I don't get salt, lichen or camphor, nor any beeswax.  I have no idea what henna smells like.  I do think I detect myrrh as a rich, sweet backdrop, but most of what I smell besides the wine and cassia is an unidentifiable melange.  It really is a beautiful wine scent.  I would love this wafting through the air and an elegant dinner party.