Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Upstart Crow

Dead Leaves, Chamomile, Red Roses, and White Tea

[No additional description given.]

First review again! Woo~

In bottle: Chamomile chamomile chamomile chamomile!!! With just a tiny hint of rose and leaves.

Wet on skin: A burst of chamomile that quickly gets wrapped up gently in red roses sweetened by the white tea. The rose is super subtle. I love red rose, but my skin tends to amp it pretty hard, but in this blend it just hangs out in the background giving this blend a rich undertone. As I keep sniffing, the white tea's sweetness comes to the forefront more and blends gorgeously with the chamomile (which is now making me crave white tea and chamomile together in beverage form!). The leaf note I get here is really more subtle and surprisingly greenish. A bit like the note used in Nothing Gold Can Stay (another favorite of mine). Though as it dries, it gets a bit darker and crisper.

Dry down: More of the same, and a hint of dandelion? It's not in the notes, though, so it must just be the way the chamomile, tea, and leaves combine. The rose gets even more subtle.

I'm definitely glad I got a bottle. Another keeper, I think!

In the bottle: Light dead leaf note, faint chamomile.

Applied: Mostly leaves, the rest is chamomile.

Worn: Chamomile and sweet roses with a good sturdy base of dead leaves. Way more or a cosy floral than an earthy scent.

At first, I was kinda disappointed that there wasn't more leaf in this, but once it settles in, it's a perfect balance of leaf, rose and chamomile. A nice, subtle scent. I think I'm only smelling tea because I'm looking for it, I wouldn't say it was an obvious part of the make up.

In the imp: Dead leaves, and herby chamomile with a touch of sharp white tea.

Wet: Similar to in the imp.

Dry: Faint dead leaves, just a bit of dryness. Mostly I get white tea (not sharp now), with a touch of chamomile. The chamomile feels fresh, not too dry or herbaceous. There is a light air of sweet rose as well.

I am getting the classic Lab dead leaf note, along with a sweetness from the chamomile and tea, but almost no rose. A teensy bit in the background, maybe.

I am not getting the overwhelming chamomile other reviewers have mentioned; it seems well-tempered with the white tea.

The throw is medium, and so is the staying power.

This is like autumn viewed through the lens of springtime freshness. I'm amazed by how well blended this is and how all of the notes work so well together.

I'm mostly getting the dead leaf note, though this is a lighter version than some of the other "Dead Leaves and..." blends I've tried. I do get some rose and it adds light freshness to the leaves. I got some of the white tea during the wet phase but it melds into the background after drydown. I can't detect the chamomile.

Overall, this blend is mainly light dead leaves with supporting freshness from the other notes. It feels like a springtime scent except that it's mainly autumn leaves. It's surprisingly pleasant.

Good wear length. Low-to-medium throw.

This blend is a soothing balm to my bitter soul at this moment in time.

Others have described it well - I won't go into too much detail - on me it is a gorgeous, well-balanced and very herbal rose scent. Not a lot of morphing.

Although it is not a dupe by any means, it reminds me strongly - more strongly than anything else I've found - of my beloved (and out-of-stock) Catherine. And that is a very very good thing.

I think I've found my new night-time relaxation blend. Into the cart it goes. The question is, do I need a backup?

Edited by joopjoop

Leaves, chamomile, and a hint of red roses. Its an oddly cold and soothing blend to me. The coldness comes from the leaves note, and the chamomile adds a very soothing quality. But it makes me think of the comfort you get when you're close to death. As it dries, I get more of the white tea note and that really makes it more and more spectral to me. Good throw and wear length.

I probably should have realised from how moss and earth notes work on me (i.e.: they don't) that dead leaves was not going to be a thing I could wear.

Wet, it's very green & herbal and I actually don't mind it. As the first reviewer said, the combination of notes reminds me strongly of dandelion.. Or maybe fresh, crushed poppy heads. But it quickly starts getting dead-mossy & weird. I like tea & chamomile in other combinations, but here they are making the sharpness of the leaf note worse (and I often like things a little sharp). I'm not getting any rose at this stage, I think I do the opposite of amp it. If there's a green stem note in here that would not be helping either, as I usually seem to amp that until it's all you can smell in a blend.
Dry, the separate notes become more distinct, and there's a moment where it almost works. I can even detect a hint of beautiful rose. I would love it if it stopped there... but unfortunately the longer it's on my skin, the more the leaf note turns into the dry-salted-earth, dead-millipede disaster that moss & dirt notes become on me. It's not quite as bad, but clearly in the same family.

Sad, I like them so much in theory.. :sad:

Edited by spikyfairy

This is the perfect autumn floral! It starts off as the dead leaf note, which is earthy and dry and absolutely perfect. Over time the florals and tea start to come in, blending perfectly over the leafy base. It still retains that dry quality, almost like a wreath or potpourri, but the rose and chamomile are a rich combination and the tea note feels very clean. The overall effect is perfectly balanced and not overly floral. This is not a rose that punches you in the face, so rose haters shouldn't be afraid to try it! I'm glad I got a bottle--it'll probably become an everyday scent for me.

In the imp: Blue chamomile, wet leaves, and ground tea, with a touch of sap and rosehip.

Wet: Initially autumn leaves and full-blown roses, although as it's aged, the rose has faded back and the leaf/tea notes have taken the forefront.

Dry: Crisp October leaves, billowing around dried rosebuds, sweet white tea leaves, and buds of chamomile. In its infancy it didn't last all that well, but its staying power has improved with age, moving from around 5 hours to easily 8-10. Mild to medium throw, quite lovely overall. 

Stars: ★★★★