Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Last year, we spent a little time running around ghost towns in California. There was one that wasnt quite a ghost town, but was it was an Old West movie set that was abandoned. A ghost town of a ghost town? It was so peculiar, and so very California. The three of us made mini movies together in that odd ghost town until it got too cold to hold a camera. This photo isnt from that trip, but it reminds me so strongly of our silly little films.

This one is for my little bandit: sarsaparilla, leather, and vanilla cream.

First Sniff Impression: Birch beer.

Wet in Vial: This is all sarsaparilla in the bottle. It's a very root/birch beer scent that overpowers anything else in it. Maube the vanilla cream is there, giving it the birch beer smell. I don't know what sarsaparilla itself smells like.

Drying Down on Skin: Now it's going right to this Trident bubblegum my mom used to always have in her purse. Crazy I forgot it existed until I smelled this. The birch beer smell is getting less creamy, more light and almost fizzy. I'm getting no leather whatsoever.

Dry on Skin: Dry this is very much an almost minty bubblegum, but real bubblegum and not the artificial bubblegum fragrance smell. I might be getting the faintest whiff of leather, but it's really barely there.

Conclusion: Never got much of leather with this at all. It's an interesting one, but I'm glad I didn't buy a whole bottle. If you're looking for a leather and vanilla scent, there are probably better ones out there. If you love root beer, this one's for you!

Edited by renfair

on my skin it's root beer...but more like a sweet, candy root beer, specifically Bottle Caps candy. very, very specifically that.

the throw for that note in particular is nice, wafting around me like a cloud all day. The leather is there if I bring my wrist to my nose, and it's wonderfully smooth, blending well with the creaminess of this scent. The leather note lasts like this for a few hours. It's replaced by a delicate vanilla cream, faint against the skin. But mostly this scent is a cloud of sweet root beer Bottle Caps, slightly effervescent .

not an everyday scent, but fun and different

...and very, very sweet candy-like

Strong sasparilla sweetness at first, with a vanilla chaser. This is straight up rootbeer float, y'all. Overwhelmingly foody to my nose - not much leather at all, just a little in the background. If there was more leather this would be straight up perfect - as-is it leans to foody for me, as so many of the Lilith scents seem to do.

Root beer float and soft brown leather, and despite the fact that I applied it straight out of the shower, Outlaw has lasted well on me, though now, several hours later, I need to get my nose quite near my wrist to smell the gorgeous remains. This is probably a pretty self-selecting scent, since if you don't like the idea of smelling like root beer, you're probably not going to buy a sarsaparilla blend. If you do, you'll love this one. I'm wearing it with Love Swing HG, which despite having no sarsaparilla in the listed notes smells strongly of rootbeer float to me, and I'm walking around in a cloud of loveliness that has taken the edge off a crappy day.

Took me a few years of aging to appreciate this. The sarsaparilla and leather used to be a bit harsh and sharp but now that it's about 3 years old, it opens as a gorgeously sweet Sarsaparilla/Sarsi,  before it warms up into a subtle old (but clean) leather and the remains of a cream soda float. Not overwhelmingly sweet and heavy. Just a whiff from a glass.

Edited by Candice Chen

I cannot get over how simple and wonderful this is! I don't like the taste of sarsaparilla, but the vanilla cream in here makes it smell so good. I can't smell any leather, which is fine because sometimes that note doesn't always agree with me. Sarsaparilla is the star of this blend for sure, the vanilla cream just softens it and sweetens a bit in the background. Resembles a vanilla ice cream float with root beer.

Hope I can find a bottle, this is divine!

It looks like I never reviewed this, so I thought I'd remedy that while waiting for this year's Lilith update.

So back in 2016, I was studying abroad in Germany, and I waited until the Yules dropped and ordered some Liliths and Yules together and had them shipped to my aunt and uncle's place, where they waited unsniffed until summer 2017. While I sadly did not order multiples of Good Morning, London in that order (REGRET), my 2016 self thought it wise to order two bottles of Outlaw, and for that, I am glad.

Outlaw features root beer-splashed syrupy brown leather (quite possibly my favorite leather note from the Lab). The vanilla cream isn't distinct on me, but I think it probably adds some creamy sweetness to the root beer. It is a root beer and leather party, and I am here for it. One of the Lab's best root beer scents, for sure. :heart: 

So it turns out i really love sarsaparilla (and sassafras, and even licorice to a degree.  all your rootbeers are belong to me, basically.)

outlaw gave me a little pause because of the leather note, but i'm so glad i was gifted a decant from a super sweet bpaler because this is just so damn great.

leather can sometimes go very badly on me...  but when it's good, it's good, and this is a good one:  brown and soft and suedey.  the star, of course, is the sarsaparilla. syrupy and sweet, a little spicy, a little rooty.  dried down, the sweetness backs off a bit and it takes on that fuzzy effervescent spiciness. it's extra creamy and backed by snuggly, well-worn leather.  this is such a comfort scent. 

i thought it might be similar to anti-saloon league, but i find them very different.  i do get some similarities to still life with dooting skull, which i also love.  but they're different enough that i need them both.