Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Tonight I tested Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, and it reminds me of the late dry stage of Scarecrow. Might be useful information for the man in your life if he likes traditional or classic masculine scents from the seventies or eighties.

I have Rituals Hammam foamy shower gel - it says it's eucalyptus and rosemary. I LOVE the scent, but it doesn't stick around long, and just mixing essential oils gets you something very different. Is there something of the lab that smells like it?

Nobody? *sadface*

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil that is similar to Fendi Theorema EDP? I used to borrow this from my mom, and it has the most wonderful warm, spicy, deliciously-sweet-without-being-too-foody scent. The official notes are:

Top- tangerine, orange, eglantine rose

Heart- jasmine petals, red pepper, cinnamon, osmanthus

Base- cream, sandalwood, musk, amber, ground spice

I never got much of the rose, but the sweet citrus fruits, jasmine, and cinnamon were prominent, as well as the base notes. It manages to be close to a vanilla scent without actually having any vanilla in it. I absolutely loved this scent, but sadly it's been discontinued, so I can't just go buy a bottle of it. Does anyone know of anything similar?

All of my life i've been looking to somehow match the limited edition Bob Mackie "Masquerade" perfume, it was the first one i ever fell in love with!!!

The notes are:

"A gentle oriental fragrance, that leaves any woman feeling refreshed. This feminine scent possesses a blend of oriental flowers with woods and musk. Masquerade is perfect for daytime wear..With subtle notes of peach, passion flower, jasmine, orchid and mimosa along with vanilla."

I find it a really delicate yet sensual blend that never overpowers or becomes too cloyingly sweet.

^.^ I hope there's something here to that effect!

I can smell peach, apple, roses, vanilla, sandalwood and musk. The drydown is wonderful powdery and I find it similar to TRESOR by Lancome.

Edit: Because i found the actual notes!!

Top Notes: Freesia, mandarin, lily of the valley.

Heart Notes: Violet, passion flower, jasmine, osmanthus.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk, woods.

And, yet another description:

The scent begins with notes of peach, golden mimosa, passion flower, exotic jasmine, and orchid followed by a rich and smooth midnote of vanilla. The basenote blend and combination of a sensual Cashmere accord of warm woods and sheer musks, amber, and woods.

Edited by Phox

I just fell in love with Lavanilla's new Vanilla passionfruit scent ... and found out it's a limited edition product. Does anyone know if there's a similar scent on Bpal?

The vanilla passionfruit's main notes are the obvious (vanilla & passionfruit) and a hint of sandalwood.

I generally love all of Bpal's Oriental scents, so any of them should work well for me.

Thanks in advance.

I just fell in love with Lavanilla's new Vanilla passionfruit scent ... and found out it's a limited edition product. Does anyone know if there's a similar scent on Bpal?

I went on a passionfruit dig, and while I can't seem to find one that's mostly vanilla and passionfruit, here are two GCs and also two LEs that aren't too difficult to find:

Golden Wave: Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic (I know it's fizzy and not creamy like the LaVanilla one you're describing but you can definitely smell the passionfruit)

Rangoon Riptide: Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum (the booze is not insane)

Blue Moon 2009 (Beth's): Mugwort, Calea Zacatechichi, Orchid and frankincense, musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit. (tiny hint of passionfruit but a lovely scent--I was first to review this one!)

Agape: carnation, apple, sweet pea, vanilla cream, passionfruit, sugar cane, tonka, and guava. (alas carnation doesn't like my chemistry but you may have better luck)

Fruit Moon 05 and Velvet Tiki also have passionfruit in there, but a) it's not very obvious and b ) they're both pretty difficult to find. Exotic fruit notes do tend to pop up in summer LE blends, so maybe it will wave hello somewhere in the coming months. :D

Edited by Invidiana

Oh and I just remembered another absolute favorite i was hoping to find here!

"Jacob" by Jacob.

Top Note: Pink Pepper, Green Apple, Lemon Blossom

Mid note: Peony, Wisteria, Tea Leaves

End notes: White Cedar, Musk Powder, Precious Amber

^.^ Any hints?

I went on a passionfruit dig, and while I can't seem to find one that's mostly vanilla and passionfruit, here are two GCs and also two LEs that aren't too difficult to find:

Golden Wave: Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic (I know it's fizzy and not creamy like the LaVanilla one you're describing but you can definitely smell the passionfruit)

Rangoon Riptide: Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum (the booze is not insane)

Blue Moon 2009 (Beth's): Mugwort, Calea Zacatechichi, Orchid and frankincense, musk, exquisite woods, moonflower, Madagascan ylang ylang, Florentine iris, Greek cypress, green tea absolute, palmarosa, cucumber, Clary sage, lavender, lemon balm, and passion fruit. (tiny hint of passionfruit but a lovely scent--I was first to review this one!)

Agape: carnation, apple, sweet pea, vanilla cream, passionfruit, sugar cane, tonka, and guava. (alas carnation doesn't like my chemistry but you may have better luck)

Fruit Moon 05 and Velvet Tiki also have passionfruit in there, but a) it's not very obvious and b ) they're both pretty difficult to find. Exotic fruit notes do tend to pop up in summer LE blends, so maybe it will wave hello somewhere in the coming months. :D

Thank you so much! I'll have to check these out.

Is there a way to find this info on the site? The search function wasn't working for me.

I have Rituals Hammam foamy shower gel - it says it's eucalyptus and rosemary. I LOVE the scent, but it doesn't stick around long, and just mixing essential oils gets you something very different. Is there something of the lab that smells like it?

Nobody? *sadface*

You might try Grr perhaps - some people get a sage, eucalyptus feel from it. Also, if the essential oils aren't anything like the shower gel, than it could be a blend of lots of different things *including* eucalyptus & rosemary - I'm not familiar with it, so I can't say. Does it smell to you like there other notes in it, and if so, what might they be? That might help people come up with suggestions.

>Is there a way to find this info on the site? The search function wasn't working for me.

I never liked using the search, whereas I *love* using spreadsheets, so I downloaded a spreadsheet that someone had made. I find it super-easy to search within a spreadsheet, and I can add notes to myself on which ones I want try, what I've already tried, add in new scents when they're released, etc. I use the spreadsheet Hackess maintains, though there are others. The link is here: http://www.hackess.com/bpal.xls and you can find it in the future by going to her member profile - it's in her "About Me" signature. http://www.bpal.org/user/6364-hackess/

As far as similarities go, i noticed an uncanny similarity between "pomegranate II" in the Pomegranate Grove from the 2010 Weenies and Bath and Body Works "Midnight Pomegranate ".

:wub2:

Edited by Phox

This WOULD be my first official post... I'm so obsessed with this perfume. :eek:

Mayhaps there is a dupe for DKNY Delicious Night? The description makes me want to drink it, the prices make me want to gag:

frozen pomelo, crushed ginger, chilled blackberry martini accord, purple freesia, night-blooming orchids, satin jasmine petals, purple iris, molten amber, incense, myrrh extract, patchouli and velvet vetiver

*swoon*

Edited by VoodooYubari

Nobody? *sadface*

You might try Grr perhaps - some people get a sage, eucalyptus feel from it. Also, if the essential oils aren't anything like the shower gel, than it could be a blend of lots of different things *including* eucalyptus & rosemary - I'm not familiar with it, so I can't say. Does it smell to you like there other notes in it, and if so, what might they be? That might help people come up with suggestions.

>Is there a way to find this info on the site? The search function wasn't working for me.

I never liked using the search, whereas I *love* using spreadsheets, so I downloaded a spreadsheet that someone had made. I find it super-easy to search within a spreadsheet, and I can add notes to myself on which ones I want try, what I've already tried, add in new scents when they're released, etc. I use the spreadsheet Hackess maintains, though there are others. The link is here: http://www.hackess.com/bpal.xls and you can find it in the future by going to her member profile - it's in her "About Me" signature. http://www.bpal.org/user/6364-hackess/

Can I suggest Hemlock?

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener smells exactly like Givenchy Pi on my chest - but only there. It smells differently on my wrist and hand. Can't figure out why.

Also, Hellboy reminds me a lot of Old Spice, but it's nicer!

I'm looking for something similar to Britney Spears' scent Curious. It's been my staple perfume for years and I'm pretty much out of it now.

well the info on Curious says " a white floral scent. Its notes are Louisiana magnolia, golden Anjou pear, lotus flower, tuberose, star jasmine, pink cyclamen, vanilla-infused musk, sandalwood and blonde woods"

so white florals, pear, lotus, vanilla musk, and a woody base

I would try these first:

*Titania (white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon)

*Endymion (d’Anjou pear, Lily of the Valley, bois du rose and white musk)

The Sluggard (frankincense, gardenia, pear, ho wood, thistle, labdanum, and lavender)

*La Belle Au Bois Dormant (Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew)

Thalia (plumeria, pear and white champagne)

and then here are the LE's that you will have to hunt down:

Peacocks (Asian pear, white musk, bamboo pulp, violet, ambergris, sugar cane, night-blooming jasmine, plum, freesia, and moss.)

Symmakhia (vanilla, heliotrope, red sandalwood, pear, black lily, white wine grape, and white rose)

Glitter (white wine, heliotrope, d'Anjou pear, and lotus)

Marotte (Golden pear, amber, fig leaf, oakmoss, bronze musk, mahogany, patchouli, and a smattering of glittering pyrite)

Ooh! Thank you for the recommendations! I know it's kind of funny that it's such a mass produced scent by a pop star, but I just love the smell of that perfume. It's very light and sweet and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it. Hoping I can find something I like just as much from that list! I'll have to keep a record...

I'm looking for something similar to Britney Spears' scent Curious. It's been my staple perfume for years and I'm pretty much out of it now.

well the info on Curious says " a white floral scent. Its notes are Louisiana magnolia, golden Anjou pear, lotus flower, tuberose, star jasmine, pink cyclamen, vanilla-infused musk, sandalwood and blonde woods"

Another one I'd suggest is Hell's Belle. It's not *exactly* like Curious, but it has a heavy dose of magnolia, as Curious does, and a vanilla drydown.

Another one I'd suggest is Hell's Belle. It's not *exactly* like Curious, but it has a heavy dose of magnolia, as Curious does, and a vanilla drydown.

Great! Thank you! I'll have to add that one to my wishlist as well.

I'm looking for a dupe of Chanel 19- which is a light green fragrance, a bit of soft leather and a lovely slightly rose-y base. Any recs?

So I'm also wondering about something that might smell similar to B&BW's Sea Island Cotton or Japanese Cherry Blossom.

Wensleydale seems to sound like what I get from Sea Island Cotton- more of a soapy, fresh, clean scent.

I was looking for scents with notes of cherry blossom but reading the reviews of them seem like that particular note isn't as strong as some of the others in that blend.

I would like to second that request for a BPAL equivalent to Ralph Lauren Hot. I love that perfume. For me it's the spicy heat of the cinnamon that makes it special.

From all the recommendations I've read on the forum, many BPAL scents that have cinnamon end up being foody (smelling like Red Hots etc.) Can someone recommend a non-foody BPAL that has an element of Woodsy or floral, but with the heat of cinnamon? That would make me a happy camper.

Can anyone recommend a BPAL blend similar to Gwen Stefani's L? It's my mother's favorite perfume. I'd like to introduce her to the wonderful world of BPAL, but she's picky about perfumes, so I figure getting something close to what I know she likes will be my best bet for success.

Here's what L is comprised of...

Top Note: Green Notes, Violet, Water Hyacinth, White Freesia, Fresh Pear

Middle Note: Muguet, Jasmine, Rose, Sweet Pea, Orange Blossom

Base Note: Frangipani, Peach Skin, Heliotrope, Musks

Alright, I have this Bath and Body works lotion that I adore. It's the aromatherapy collection, and it's called Sensual. The notes are black currant absolute and vanilla. I thought about the body spray, but it just smells watered down and icky. I would love to find a BPAL that smells similar. Anyone have any idea what that would be?

ETA: Some of the other notes seem to be patchouli, lemon peel, and cucumber.

Edited by jmscripsi