Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
NikS

Butter Rum Cookie

Mod Note: This is the review topic for the 2014 version of this scent, which differs slightly from releases in 2008 and 2013 (which have their own topic).

Rum-soaked brown butter cookies, crusted with sugar, soaked in almond and garnished with orange rind and pummeled pecans.

In the bottle: All kinds of cookie goodness. This is definitely a sweet gourmand scent, it doesn't smell too boozy but I can tell it's there lingering in the background. It almost reminds me of Starbucks Eggnog and Gingerbread lattes, which is totally a good thing.

Wet: At this stage it smells like heavily boozy cookies, with a slight hint of orange rind and cinnamon. I'm not detecting pecans for some reason unless pecan and cinnamon smell similar? It doesn't burn the skin however which is great.

Dry: Oooooh, it's completely turned into a butterscotch scent, I quite like this as it's similar to a dessert we have over here in the UK called Angel Delight which smells almost identical, I love it!

Overall: This is a lovely Christmas perfume, I feel it associates with this time of year very well! The only downfall if there is one is that I'm not sure if I can handle smelling like a butterscotch cookie everyday...it is beautiful nonetheless.

In the bottle: Sharp, not sweet. Very boozy

On the inside of my wrist, wet: I'm getting Chinese almond cookie with just a hint of the same rum note that's in Captain Lilith. It's more tangy than boozy

Fifteen minutes later: That bitter almond has come out to ruin what had been a delicious scent! Oh no! I know I amp almond but sugar usually tones it down. There's not much throw at all. I have to press my nose to my wrist.

Thirty minutes later: This REALLY reminds me of Halfling, if Halfling had a full pint of ale to splash on it. The almond is almost too strong which is kind of heartbreaking. I don't smell anything nutty or any of that orange rind either. It's sort of like oatmeal cookie dough. If I rest my cheek on my palm, I can smell the scent but I don't really find it all that pleasant.

Verdict: With such an obviously foodie scent, I thought this was a safe bet! I'm going to keep one imp's worth in the bottle and decant the rest out to my friends for their Yule baskets.

On today's edition of "I'm not a foodie, I swear!"...

...this smells so good it's actually making me angry. How dare it be so delicious and distracting! (I'm kidding. Mostly.)

I avoid foodie scents because I amp sweet notes like nobody's business, so most of them are an achingly sweet, chemical-y horror show on me unless they are held very strongly in check by non-foodie notes (Père Fouettard, Bonfire Night). Sometimes I am tempted to get decants because they sound so delicious, but they're always a disappointment. But this somehow works?

At first I get that familiar blast of chemical-sweet foodies go on me, with fakey "butter" and "rum" notes. The butter fades a bit and the rum intensifies for a while. But then, it dries down to a subtle pecan studded sugar cookie (that pecan note is magic) heavily overlaid with cinnamon toning down the sweet. It's got a low medium throw, but it doesn't hit you over the head. It's just the faint smell of something delicious hovering around you- the kind of scent that you'd just sort of catch the edge of in the air and you want to know where it's coming from because it smells so good. As the drydown goes on, it's still borderline too sweet for me, but so yummy I'm going to try overlaying it with Hans Trapp and see what happens.

Edited by Allumina

Butter, rum, butter cookies and pecans. This one is foodie, tasty and toothsome. If you love cookie type blends, try this out.

This is all butter rum in the bottle, but dries to a gorgeous sugar cookie scent. Unfortunately I don't get any almond or orange rind, but it's lovely to smell like a cookie! This is actually similar to Eat Me, but less perfumey and more straight-up baked goods. This has a bit of an unpleasant middle stage on me (the lab's cookie/cake note frequently smells very dusty or stale on my skin, and that happens here) but it's not unbearable and the drydown is totally worth it. It ends up mild and not overly sweet, it just smells yummy and great!

Edited by Teaker

So sweet and buttery! It smells pretty boozy in the bottle but not so much on my skin. There's something almost maple syrup-like about this.

I will probably end up slathering myself in this for much of the winter. It's always good to smell like fresh baked goods, in my opinion.

Delicious buttery cookie with sweet rum! Not boozy at all. Maple syrupy a little, but in a good way! I don’t get any orange but that’s ok. But I do get some of the pecan which is lovely. Yum! 😋 I really like cookie scents!!