Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

Hey, Alex. I'm in Christchurch. The job is in AKL but being interviewed down here. Hotel industry and the job is Executive Assistant Manager.

Ross

Kia Ora Galahad! I'm a Dorian fan, maybe Coyote for the thoughts of warm fur and hot summer plains? I haven't smelled Perversion & can't remember No. 93 Engine (didn't like it for me, think it's hidden in my wife's Box o' Imps). What kind of general industry is your interview/chat in?

:P Coyote might thaw some of the snow. Are you in the SI? We're in Auckland.

Good luck!

Alex

Hi all

Have an "interview" tomorrow for a position which could see me doubling my salary (+) I have put interview in quotes as it appears it's going to be very casual (GM wants a chat over coffee and they are already making plans to fly me up to see the property)

I am a guy being interviewed by a male so I have been agonising over what to wear (and yes, I would prefer not to be scent-naked). Don't want to do anything floral or too heavy or foody and have pretty much settled on Shrunken Heads which is fresh and doesn't turn bitter on me.

Was considering going with Perversion, No. 93 Engine, Coyote, Wilde or Dorian.

It's freezing here at the moment with some snow so have considered that something warmer than Shrunken Heads might be better.

Hmm...

I know it's my standard cry in this thread, but Coyote! It's a nice, warm scent that is natural enough that it could potentially just be how nice you smell. Otherwise, I kind of get a kick out of you wearing a scent called Perversian to a job interview.

Also: I did not know that it snowed in New Zealand. I don't quite know why I thought it didn't but I am intellectually richer for this thread. The more you know...

Hi Paperrose

Funny you should say that because I decided on Coyote in the end

We don't get a lot of snow in Christchurch but it definitely does snow more further south. the best skiing in the world!

Ross

I know it's my standard cry in this thread, but Coyote! It's a nice, warm scent that is natural enough that it could potentially just be how nice you smell. Otherwise, I kind of get a kick out of you wearing a scent called Perversian to a job interview.

Also: I did not know that it snowed in New Zealand. I don't quite know why I thought it didn't but I am intellectually richer for this thread. The more you know...

Good luck to you Ross, I hope it went/goes well, then you'll be on your way up here? We have another BPALer in Hamilton, she might be eventually shifting this way too and she comes up regularly. Glad to hear you went with Coyote, hope it kept you warm and focused! Let us know if you hear anything. :D

Hey, Alex. I'm in Christchurch. The job is in AKL but being interviewed down here. Hotel industry and the job is Executive Assistant Manager.Ross\
We are down by the Antarctic so generally the further south you go (and Christchurch is located on the east coast of the South Island), the colder it gets. There are lots of places to ski in both the North and South Island ski fields.Ahhhh, now what kind of scent would you wear to a job interview at a ski field?? Or even the international science station in the Anarctic (or would you take The Precious that far given the harsh environment???)? :P
I know it's my standard cry in this thread, but Coyote! It's a nice, warm scent that is natural enough that it could potentially just be how nice you smell. Otherwise, I kind of get a kick out of you wearing a scent called Perversian to a job interview. Also: I did not know that it snowed in New Zealand. I don't quite know why I thought it didn't but I am intellectually richer for this thread. The more you know...

Thanks. As I suspected pretty casual and just an information download but went well. Expect I will be flown up to Auckland this weekend.

I ended up forgetting to take the imp with me to top up but Coyote seemd to last well on my first full day test with it. My review of it was so-so but I really like it now.

Yeah I was wondering how many BPALers are in NZ. Did a member search by country a while ago and I think there were about 10.

Ross

Good luck to you Ross, I hope it went/goes well, then you'll be on your way up here? We have another BPALer in Hamilton, she might be eventually shifting this way too and she comes up regularly. Glad to hear you went with Coyote, hope it kept you warm and focused! Let us know if you hear anything. :D
Hey, Alex. I'm in Christchurch. The job is in AKL but being interviewed down here. Hotel industry and the job is Executive Assistant Manager.Ross\
We are down by the Antarctic so generally the further south you go (and Christchurch is located on the east coast of the South Island), the colder it gets. There are lots of places to ski in both the North and South Island ski fields.Ahhhh, now what kind of scent would you wear to a job interview at a ski field?? Or even the international science station in the Anarctic (or would you take The Precious that far given the harsh environment???)? :P
I know it's my standard cry in this thread, but Coyote! It's a nice, warm scent that is natural enough that it could potentially just be how nice you smell. Otherwise, I kind of get a kick out of you wearing a scent called Perversian to a job interview. Also: I did not know that it snowed in New Zealand. I don't quite know why I thought it didn't but I am intellectually richer for this thread. The more you know...

eeek, my turn! yesterday i had a phone interview that is now leading to a face-to-face campus tour + teaching demo + second interview on tuesday the 1st. i teach college level foreign languages, so not your typical office thing. have decided that this interview, i'm going to be a little more ME than last time (8 years ago) and not wear my old Interview Suit, but something like a little tailored black dress + classy scarf + heels etc. so i'm going for very professional and elegant, old-world-lady-ish, but not stuffy. (figuratively or literally - it will probably be 90F or so on tuesday here.)

no scent at all is out - i want a little something - part of the aura, as mentioned above. gender neutral is out because i am uber girly looking (and in a profesion where it's certainly no problem to be a woman). i'm 37, so not going for too young or too mature. with all this in mind, does anyone say no to sparing application of brisingamen?

(unrelated to my own question - high five to those of you who use different scents to get into character for acting. life has moved me on from theater in the last 15 years or so, but i still adore it and hope to go back to it when my kids are bigger... anyway, i always used to pick a scent for each character i played. so fun, and effective too!)

While reading your description I was just like "Florence! Pick Florence!" Brisingamen has a similar amber note and it's not an overbearing scent. If it makes you feel confident, go for it.

dangit. if only i had florence. (one of my languages being italian!) :P to paraphrase shrek, it's on my wishlist!

Edited by veronicafranco

I'm of two minds for this one:

1) Something from the Wanderlust section. I'm not sure what you have so won't narrow it down any more than that, just a thought and would be a point in your favour if the interviewer asks what scent you are wearing.

2) It's hot there now right? (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere) What about something citrusy, one of the Tikis or Phobos or Embalming Fluid? They would be a 'cool' scent and help you stand out from the other women who might be going more floraly (traditional) scents?

Good luck! :P

eeek, my turn! yesterday i had a phone interview that is now leading to a face-to-face campus tour + teaching demo + second interview on tuesday the 1st. i teach college level foreign languages, so not your typical office thing. have decided that this interview, i'm going to be a little more ME than last time (8 years ago) and not wear my old Interview Suit, but something like a little tailored black dress + classy scarf + heels etc. so i'm going for very professional and elegant, old-world-lady-ish, but not stuffy. (figuratively or literally - it will probably be 90F or so on tuesday here.)

no scent at all is out - i want a little something - part of the aura, as mentioned above. gender neutral is out because i am uber girly looking (and in a profesion where it's certainly no problem to be a woman). i'm 37, so not going for too young or too mature. with all this in mind, does anyone say no to sparing application of brisingamen?

(unrelated to my own question - high five to those of you who use different scents to get into character for acting. life has moved me on from theater in the last 15 years or so, but i still adore it and hope to go back to it when my kids are bigger... anyway, i always used to pick a scent for each character i played. so fun, and effective too!)

Well, have just finished my 6 hour (!!!!) interview in Auckland. I am completely exhausted and looking forward to having a leisurely dinner. Coyote again for rhe first 2/3 and then changed to Bewitched (was forewarned about the interview perspective for the CEO - wanted to a go with something with a bit more of a quirky personality).

Will see where we land on Tuesday.

Ross

6 hours? gaahh! hope it goes well for you, ross! tuesday is going to be a big day in this thread, i guess...

to the queries for me, here is what i have

ave maria gratia plena, baghdad, bastet, bien loin d'ici, brisingamen, cairo, dana o'shee, endymion, gomorrah, hermia, les bijoux, o, mag mell, nefertiti, no. 93 engine, penitence, queen mab, silk road, skuld, tamora

would consider for this - ave maria (pretty, classy, not that remarkable), mag mell (soft, citrusy, second-skin, sounds like vultureguy might pick this one for me) or nefertiti (more typical floral/perfumey). endymion and queen mab would probably also be appropriate but they're not as me...

Edited by veronicafranco

Thanks.

BTW of the ones you have listed, I would go for Mag Mell. I think it might go interestingly with what you are planning on wearing as well - almost like a contradiction which is good.

Ross

6 hours? gaahh! hope it goes well for you, ross! tuesday is going to be a big day in this thread, i guess...

to the queries for me, here is what i have

ave maria gratia plena, baghdad, bastet, bien loin d'ici, brisingamen, cairo, dana o'shee, endymion, gomorrah, hermia, les bijoux, o, mag mell, nefertiti, no. 93 engine, penitence, queen mab, silk road, skuld, tamora

would consider for this - ave maria (pretty, classy, not that remarkable), mag mell (soft, citrusy, second-skin, sounds like vultureguy might pick this one for me) or nefertiti (more typical floral/perfumey). endymion and queen mab would probably also be appropriate but they're not as me...

I just wanted to chime in here and strongly recommend TAL: Charisma.

I wore it to a job interview on Thursday. The HR director interviewed me first and said they would let me know in a few days to a week. I was then interviewed by the manager of the department.

My interview was at 11:00am until 12:30pm. At 4:00pm, I got a call offering me the job.

Yay, Charisma!

hey all... an update in case anyone else is ever considering brisingamen for an interview. (i know, you guys said mag mell. but i am so soothed by that slight sweetness and those five, count 'em, delicious mellow ambers. and i needed some soothing here.) let's just say no interview committee will be able to resist your charms! i haven't posted until now because i didn't have the actual offer letter in hand, but basically by the time i left the big bad series of interviews, they had come right out and told me i was their first choice. :P

btw, i used up the dregs of my imp that day, so you bet your apple blossoms i have a 5 ml on the way. (along with an imp of florence!)

That's great! Have they gotten to offering anything yet? Keep us posted

I wore TAL Road Opener to my last interview and basically was offered my dream job. I went in to interview for a position as the high school swim coach. I already had a job as a pre-k teacher for the following year so this would be around the "normal" school hours (we're a fairly small district so I wouldn't be the first elementary person to take a "2nd job" coaching at the middle or high school level)

However, when I walked in the principal informed me that she had - 20 minutes ago!!!! - gotten an opening for 5 sections of Spanish I (thats one section short of a full load which fits perfectly with the Swimming Athletics class the coach teaches) and basically, she interviewed me and offered me the position on the spot.

Hola! I've got an interview coming up on Tuesday for my absolute dream job - web designer for my State Gallery! I'd love to hear your suggestions for something subtle to wear during the interview (I would go scentless however I have a tendency to get very warm whilst nervous and I'd hate to smell like perspiration!). Normally I prefer heady ambers and very strong, unusual scents - current favourites being Tezcatlipoca, Wilde, Freak Show, Blood Pearl & The Lion. I could really use some suggestions for subtle, confident scents from my collection (listed below). I'm likely to be interviewed by a woman, and the atmosphere will be extremely professional and slightly older than myself (I'm 30), plus I suspect we'll be in a small folio viewing room. Any help would be most grand - especially if you can come up with something that screams "technically savvy genius art nerd"! xx

bottles:

Blood Pearl

Brisingamen

Frederic

Intrigue

The Lion

Mata Hari

Plunder

Wulric the wolf man

--------

Imps:

Alecto

ahathoor

amsterdam

Bayou

black phoenix

baku

cathode

cheshire cat

crypt queen

danube

de sade

dragon's milk

dragon's claw

erato

Follow me boy

faustus

GLowing Vulva

kitsune-tsuki

khephra

loviatar

leanan sidhe

Machu Picchu

medea

Nyarlathotep

nosferatu

niflheim

ogun

oneiroi

penny dreadful

Roadhouse

the raven

salome

siren

stimulating sassafras strengthener

Temple of Dreams

Tarot: Ace of Wands

Tarot: Judgement

tezcatlipoca

Tisiphone

Tum

tweedledum

ulalume

Val Sans Retour

Velvet

violet ray

wolfsbane

wilde

Felix, I love The Lion and even though it's a rich amber and very natural, I think it also has a sophisticated edge to it - as long as you don't apply loads and loads, it isn't an overwhelming scent IMO. There's something that appeals to me about wearing Leanan Sidhe to an interview for a job that has a creative bent :P It's also on the lighter side if you are worrying about wearing something that will fill the room.

Hola! I've got an interview coming up on Tuesday for my absolute dream job - web designer for my State Gallery! I'd love to hear your suggestions for something subtle to wear during the interview (I would go scentless however I have a tendency to get very warm whilst nervous and I'd hate to smell like perspiration!). Normally I prefer heady ambers and very strong, unusual scents - current favourites being Tezcatlipoca, Wilde, Freak Show, Blood Pearl & The Lion. I could really use some suggestions for subtle, confident scents from my collection (listed below). I'm likely to be interviewed by a woman, and the atmosphere will be extremely professional and slightly older than myself (I'm 30), plus I suspect we'll be in a small folio viewing room. Any help would be most grand - especially if you can come up with something that screams "technically savvy genius art nerd"! xx

The ones I like.....

Dragon's Milk: Warm, comforting and inviting.

GLowing Vulva: But what if she liked your scent and asked you what it was called?!? O_O

The Raven: This one is beautiful, soft and sophisticated.

The ones I like.....

Dragon's Milk: Warm, comforting and inviting.

GLowing Vulva: But what if she liked your scent and asked you what it was called?!? O_O

The Raven: This one is beautiful, soft and sophisticated.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I think I will end up going with The Raven, it's quite clean and fresh, and also doesn't involve me saying "Vulva" to a complete stranger (which oddly is something I had to do a lot in one of my old jobs). I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Big respect!

Hey hey, well i'm on the job hunt looking for something in the journalistic or writing field (on the side im an author aswell but i haven't managed to reap money from that occupation yet). Anyway i was thinking something very soft and clean... any help for me? lol

Hey hey, well i'm on the job hunt looking for something in the journalistic or writing field (on the side im an author aswell but i haven't managed to reap money from that occupation yet). Anyway i was thinking something very soft and clean... any help for me? lol

My favorite soft, clean scents are:

Alice
(Mad Tea Party) - Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Sudha Segara
(Bewitching Brews) - Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

White Rabbit
(Mad Tea Party) - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

You might want to check out the recommendations in the first half of this thread, which was originally about seeking light, clean floral scents. You might also find some winners in the "Light, gentle, subtle scents" thread. Some others that I consider soft and clean and appropriate for professional settings (these are unlikely to offend anyone's noses):

(Wanderlust) - Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Amsterdam
(Wanderlust) - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

The Apothecary
(Illyria) - Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

Baneberry
(Rappaccini's Garden) - A poisonous fruit-bearing member of the buttercup family. The scent, like the plant, is dark green, herbal, and plump with bulging black fruit.

Bewitched
(Bewitching Brews) - Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Dian's Bud
(Rappaccini's Garden) - No scent desciption.

This is a light, clean scent that brings to mind Dove soap.

The Dormouse
(Mad Tea Party) - A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

Prague
(Wanderlust) - Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

Rosalind
(Illyria) - Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

Severin
(Ars Amatoria) - Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

Squirting Cucumber
(Rappaccini's Garden) - A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

Szepasszony
(Diablous) - A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Titania
(Illyria) - A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

Tushnamatay
(Bewitching Brews) - Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

People seem to have very varied impressions of what this actually smells like, but the consensus seems to be a very light resin/incense.

Twenty-One
(Bewitching Brews) - This is the scent of the perfect martini.

This is a refreshing gin/juniper scent.

Undertow
(Bewitching Brews) - Lotus and juniper with a hint of mint.

The Unicorn
(Mad Tea Party) - A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

oooooh so many good options, thank you so much for the recommendations!!! Undertow sounds very nice.. as do Titania and Rosalind. ^^ thank you again, it's really helpful.