Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Okay, I'll play. It's been a while since I stuck my nose in the forums, and I really should remedy that! :) My top 5 in no particular order, and good gosh but it isn't easy picking these! are:

Morocco

Dragon's Eye

Dragon's Bone

Cicuta

October 2011

that doesn't even get into the scents I love but have to be in a specific sort of mood to wear, or the ones that aren't quite in the top 5 but are still marvelous, or... Ah heck. Anyway. runners up, for further information, are Helena, Juniper Hairstreak, Rose Red 2011, Squirting Cucumber and Anne Bonnie.

Okay, I'll play. It's been a while since I stuck my nose in the forums, and I really should remedy that! :) My top 5 in no particular order, and good gosh but it isn't easy picking these! are:

Morocco

Dragon's Eye

Dragon's Bone

Cicuta

October 2011

that doesn't even get into the scents I love but have to be in a specific sort of mood to wear, or the ones that aren't quite in the top 5 but are still marvelous, or... Ah heck. Anyway. runners up, for further information, are Helena, Juniper Hairstreak, Rose Red 2011, Squirting Cucumber and Anne Bonnie.

For October 2011, I'd suggest A World Where There Are Octobers from this past Weenie update. It's similar to October but I find it less sharp overall. :-)

I recently got to try some new scents, so here's my new Top 5 list (of the moment):

1. Love Marshmallows and rose sugar with whipped vanilla cream and a hint of strawberry.

2. Mariposita Her hair smells like soap and lavender, her skin smells like honey and sunshine, and everything is touched by the scent of the strawberries she's always eating.

3. Coraline Jones Dry grass, clean skin, and a little bit of mossy berry.

4. Velvet Unicorn Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

5. The Last Unicorn Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.

All recommendations are appreciated! I would particularly love GC blend recommendations (they need not be too similar, just about the same vibe) so that I can go a little easier on my pocket from time to time. c: But you know, I like a challenge, so bring on the LEs as well!

I recently got to try some new scents, so here's my new Top 5 list (of the moment):

1. Love Marshmallows and rose sugar with whipped vanilla cream and a hint of strawberry.

2. Mariposita Her hair smells like soap and lavender, her skin smells like honey and sunshine, and everything is touched by the scent of the strawberries she's always eating.

4. Velvet Unicorn Spun sugar, sparkling rainbow candies, strawberries, merangue, and cherry fluff.

5. The Last Unicorn Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.

All recommendations are appreciated! I would particularly love GC blend recommendations (they need not be too similar, just about the same vibe) so that I can go a little easier on my pocket from time to time. c: But you know, I like a challenge, so bring on the LEs as well!

I'd recommend the Doormouse, Fae, and Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

I would also appreciate some suggestions for my next order.

•  
  • Lilith Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.
  • Athens voluptuous myrrh, golden honey, red wine, and sweet flowers.
  • Pandy Fresh white musk, honeycomb, sweet apricot, elemi, orange blossom, and mischievous pink pepper.
  • The Flowers Cleave Apart Honeyed jasmine, white neroli, red sandalwood, champaca, and raspberry wine.
  • The Obsidian Widow Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of the lovely recommendations, folks! :wub2: I actually haven't had something work on me since the Tremulous Song update so I'm so looking forward to trying all of these out.

Pink Plastic Flamingo (dandelion pink yumminess)

Yemaya (melon-y clean smelling)

Olokun

Plastic Pink Flamingo is actually another one of my favourites! Yemaya and Olokun sound nice, too!

They may not be the easiest to find, but I would track down Lawn Gnome, Pink Lace, L'Essence De L'Engouement, Kitty, and Velvet Unicorn.

Unfortunately, the patchouli in Lawn Gnome rules out something that otherwise sounds great, but the others sound like they'd be worth the effort!

Have you tried Kumiho? It's not got the citrus feel of Embalming Fluid (which is actually one of my warm weather faves) but it has the same light clean vibe to it. Shattered might work as well.

Ogun has a distinct melon note just like Twinkle...Bat, but the other notes might disagree with you--I can wear Bat but not Ogun.

For Boober, maybe Dirty? Or Paranorman's Salma (Crisp linen, a smudge of ballpoint pen ink, soap-touched skin, apple shampoo, and effervescent science fair experiment residue)? And for one more random fruity thing, how about Bon Vivant (effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry)?

:lol: I actually own Peach II, it is really pretty; Tamora, sadly, like most of the female Illyria scents, ends up shampoo/hairspray for reasons I can't figure out.

Kumiho is quite lovely on me, but unfortunately it disappears very quickly. I want to love Dirty, but it turns into a very high pitched floral. Ogun sounds like it might be worth checking out an imp -- the juniper/melon/chilli/honey aspect sounds quite interesting. Salma as well!

Bon Vivant is probably my biggest BPAL disappointment -- I don't get any champagne or strawberry at all, just rose shampoo. I actually tracked down a second imp to make sure it wasn't mislabeled.

I'd second Velvet Unicorn and suggest Candy Phoenix, Dirty, Shang Hai, The Unicorn and Titania. And Wensleydale for the clean, fresh scent, even though I personally haven't tried that one yet.

Awesome, thank you! Shanghai is another once that's lovely on me but has no lasting power. And Wensleydale is one I've been dying to try, and I think I've just found a decant.

I also have to rec Kumiho if you like Embalming Fluid! I love both of them, but I love Kumiho slightly more, and I can't put my finger on why, exactly--maybe it just feels crisper to me. The recent Yule Eldritch Drunken Constellations was also fantastic in that vein if you like ambergris at all (it adds a sort of warm and salty foamy quality to the brightness of the tea that might be comparable to the warmth of musk). Herbert West is also very similar to Embalming Fluid, in my experience, with a slightly more astringent cologne-y quality that actually really works. And Shanghai is the sweet flowers and green tea equivalent.

For Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat, Bon Vivant also springs to my mind, they both have that awesome champagne note. Twenty-One had it, too, to my nose, along with some of that herbal quality. And then maybe 51 (green and melony and fruity and fresh) or the (sadly) soon to be discontinued Ehecatl, which is tea and hibiscus and white musk with that zingy zesty quality of lime. For an LE in that vein, Tanuki no Hikifune has that warm fresh melony quality, I think! For Strawberry Moon, I found Self-Portrait With Puffy Stickers from the Tremulous Song update to have a similar . . . quality, I guess (and some similar notes).

Anyone who likes sweet springlike candylike florals should probably check out Reflected Vulva from the current Shungas, too--it's very sweet, very sugary, very nice almost fruity spring flowers and SUGARY sugared cream. But sweet scents can sometimes be too much for me, and it wasn't. Lovers in the Tea House was also sweet and fresh and smooth and springlike and really nice, though a lot less sweet (still sweet, but more fresh and with other qualities).

Oooh, so many, thank you! Eldritch Drunken Constellations sounds kind of fantastic, and Herbert West could be neat. I think I might actually have an imp of Twenty-One lying around somewhere, and I'll have to dig it up. 51, unfortunately, went haywire on me, and smelled like every commercial perfume in a store sprayed at me at once. Ehacatl and Tanuki no Kikfune sound lovely, and I do love Tanuki no Orai. Self-Portrait with Puffy Stickers was largely rose on me, unfortunately. I wanted strawberry/clover/grass! I'll have to check out Reflected Vulva as well.

I second Yemaya for melony goodness. If you want more dandelion, you may want to check out Roadhouse, though the rest of your notes might not be your thing. Also, Aurelia and Stentor from last year's Song of Nature series, for berry, tea, and mint. :smilenod:

Oooh, nice.

If you like bright fizzy scents with fruity aspects, maybe Bon Vivant or Croquet? The Phoenix At Dawn would be good if you also do florals.

I am forever sad that Bon Vivant is rose shampoo on me. :( Croquet and Phoenix at Dawn both sound entirely lovely -- except for the patchouli. :cry2: Even Tweedledum turned into single note patchouli on me that lasted for 36 hours. The reviews for Phoenix at Dawn compare it to a bunch of my favourites, however -- maybe white patchouli would be bearable on me. I know white sandalwood works much better on my skin than other types.

Maybe Shoggoth? I find it similar to Embalming Fluid, but with a sweeter/fruitier kick from the lime and coconut meat.

Oooh, I do love lime and coconut.

I'd suggest Titania especially, also Bon Vivant and 51, and for LE's Lilith's Tea Party, Earth Ox, and maybe Selkie.

Titania is definitely going on my list! BV and 51 are, alas, not meant for me. The LEs you've suggested all sound worth looking into.

Thanks again, everyone!

1. The Unicorn (my ultimate grail)

2. Whip

3. Boo

4. Hope

5. Candy Phoenix

I've never gotten a the opportunity to sniff The Unicorn, but Boober is a lovely, clean linden blossom with sudsy vanilla. Spirits of the Dead is another sweet, clean scent with linden, but to me it's cooler and more dry.

On me, Self Portrait with Puffy Stickers was a sweet rose with undercurrents of strawberries and clover, so maybe that or Love, which was rose with marshmallow and vanilla.

As for me, hmmm.

1. Kumiho

2. Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

They share no notes that I'm aware of, but Holiday Moon and Sea of Glass have a very similar feeling to me -- they're both cool and clean and crystalline. Sturgeon Moon was another clean, watery aquatic on me, with greenery. Boo Bam has been on my to-try list for some time, too.

Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers makes me think of Fairy Bites. And I've never gotten a chance to try The Unicorn, but Boober and Spirits of the Dead both have nice linden. The Boober is warmer, sweeter, and has vanilla, while Spirits of the Dead is cooler, dryer, and has more tea.

Oooh how fun! I'm not much good at recommending, there's still a lot I haven't tried (plus I'm truly awful at picking out notes).

My top 5 (hard to pick just 5!) in no order are:

1. Midway Resurrected

2. Follow Me Boy

3. Lionheart (TAL)

4. Sprinklecake

5. Monsterbait: Bigger Critters

Mouse Circus! It's primarily peanut brittle on me, which is something I would have never expected to work as well as it does. Uncle Brian also has a lovely helping of cotton candy. Plastic Pink Flamingo is strawberries and marshmallows over greenery. I haven't tried Eat Me, but it would fit right in.

My top 5 right now are:

Braving The Ice

Sweet Lavinia's Dread Puddings

Ooky

Shortbread Snowflakes BO

Dorian in the Pumpkin Patch

I would love to hear more foodie recs!!! Also check my collection link to see other bottles I have so you don't recommend scents I already own. Thanks! ;)

A Game of Yes and No is a lovely marzipan and mulled wine scent. I haven't tried Eat Me, but it sounds like it would be right up your alley. Dessicated Frostberry Pie Filling might also be worth checking out.

For Coraline Jones, you could check out The Apothecary! Other ones that on me have a similar low-key clean feeling are Nostrum Remedium, Sea of Glass, F5, Holiday Moon, and Sturgeon Moon. For strawberry in the GC, you could try Bon Vivant, though it's somehow rose on me. If you're looking for sweet, candied fruit (orange/tangerine) +vanilla, you could try Gobo.

Any recs based on these?

The First Soft Snow 2013

Rose Red 2013

Whip

Glasgow

Gods of Intercourse

Thanks! <3

Have you tried Wanda? On me it's leather with a sweet juicy undertone to it. Sort of a love child between Whip and the berry in Glasgow. Plus it has rose in it!

The Phoenix At Dawn

Rum-Soaked French Tonka

Sybaris

Golden Priapus

Hermia

Runners-up: Eclipse, Schrodinger's Cat

Mouse's Long and Sad Tail, Pink Snowballs and Capax Infiniti!

1. Snake Oil (and it's babies!)

2. Banshee Beat (And by Association, SilkyBat HG)

3. Capax Infiniti (Oh, my @,@)

4. Alice/Queen Alice

5. Red Lace (Also, Black Lace, Autumn Lace...)

Bonus: Glowing Vulva Bath Oil!

I've learned that I adore a lot of scents!

My top 5 right now are:

Braving The Ice

Sweet Lavinia's Dread Puddings

Ooky

Shortbread Snowflakes BO

Dorian in the Pumpkin Patch

I would love to hear more foodie recs!!! Also check my collection link to see other bottles I have so you don't recommend scents I already own. Thanks! ;)

A Game of Yes and No is a lovely marzipan and mulled wine scent. I haven't tried Eat Me, but it sounds like it would be right up your alley. Dessicated Frostberry Pie Filling might also be worth checking out.

A Game Called Yes & No I have tried and ended up selling off...if memory serves I think it lacked staying power on me but did smell AMAZING! Eat Me was the same. Loved the smell but it didn't last. My skin eats things up like crazy! :( And Dessicated Frostberry Pie Filling wasn't foodie enough it had something weird to it that didn't sit right on my skin.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Love to hear what people come up with based on my list! ;)

Try Pink Moon 2012 if you can get your hands on some! It smells to me like Easter candy, strawberries, and spring flowers.

My current favorites:

Bastet

Fenris Wolf

Lyonesse

Scherezade

Sin

And runners-up: Anne Bonny, Coyote, The Lion, Snake Oil

I generally stick to the GC but all recs are welcome. :)

It is so interesting to see how my list has changed over time. Hardly any fruit or floral show up anymore. Resin, musk, wood, spice. :wub2: Yum!

(Edited to add: I seem to love red and golden scents, and 'hot' scents or scents that evoke warmth... if that helps...)

Thanks!

Edited by heatherovka

My current favorites:

Bastet

Fenris Wolf

Lyonesse

Scherezade

Sin

It is so interesting to see how my list has changed over time. Hardly any fruit or floral show up anymore. Resin, musk, wood, spice. :wub2: Yum!

(Edited to add: I seem to love red and golden scents, and 'hot' scents or scents that evoke warmth... if that helps...)

Thanks!

Golden Priapus (vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine) is a tasty vanilla amber with evergreens and woods.

Ooo, I'll play.

Currently

Kali

Sin

Blood Kiss

Tombeur

Love Me

Morocco

Dragon's Eye

Dragon's Bone

Cicuta

October 2011

I would add mama ji, rose pearls and diamonds, and the expiration:)

My current favorites:

Bastet

Fenris Wolf

Lyonesse

Scherezade

Sin

Thanks!

Hesoids pheonix

La lalugubre gondola

Ooo, I'll play.

Currently

Kali

Sin

Blood Kiss

Tombeur

Love Me

Perversion (Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.)

Chimera (The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.)

Womb Fury (Snake Oil and three types of honey)

Umbra (East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon.)

Hellcat (hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.)

Hell's Belle (Oleander with wet, sweet mandarin, lush magnolia, a rush of deep musk and a touch of spice.)

Centzon Totochtin (Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.)

Athens (voluptuous myrrh, golden honey, red wine, and sweet flowers.)

this sounds like fun! here are my top 5 in no order

kabuki

the last unicorn

queen mab

tarot:the star

sin

runner ups.. Scheherazade, marianne, pele, midnight kiss

(throwing in a wrench for extra difficulty... no honey, vanilla or almond)

Ooo, I'll play.

Currently

Kali

Sin

Blood Kiss

Tombeur

Love Me

Have you tried Plunder (tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg)?

this sounds like fun! here are my top 5 in no order

kabuki

the last unicorn

queen mab

tarot:the star

sin

runner ups.. Scheherazade, marianne, pele, midnight kiss

(throwing in a wrench for extra difficulty... no honey, vanilla or almond)

Did you try Sin in the Pumpkin Patch with this year's Weenies? The pumpkin gave it an extra kick of richness that you might appreciate, since you like red musk scents. Or Spellbound, if you like rose.

If vanilla orchid doesn't give you the problems regular vanilla does, maybe Rigorous Love for something lighter.

I'll give it a try. In no particular order:

Aphrogene

Vechernyaya

Dorian

Hemlock Honey

Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills

(Also sort of want to give honorary mention to Possets Tidal Wave, since I wear that so constantly.)