Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ReallyZeb

Gingerbread Troll

Oh, I'm half gone!

Gingerbread with vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

Not the best first review because on me this disappeared into nothingness almost immediately. I was expecting something acrid and herbal and couldn't see how the gingerbread would come through - but strangely although it was all Troll when wet, once it dried I get a faint herbal gingerbread and that is all. I'm puzzled. huh.gif

Spicy gingerbread musk, cumin, and hints of pine and clove.

Okay, so to me.... Gingerbread Troll is on the other side of the manly Gingerbread cologne spectrum. If Gingerbread Villain is sophisticated sexiness, Gingerbread Troll to me smells like a dirty, patchouli wearing BRO. You know, the kind that think crushing a beer can with their forehead is somehow knee-weakening to the opposite sex.

Yeah, not for me!

This one is awesome. Gingerbread Snake was really good, Gingerbread Satyr was great for the ten seconds it stuck around before completely disappearing, but this one is fabulous. Really grounded and good. Gingerbread. With other good stuff. Does not smell very boy to me at all.

Tested from an imp from my Yule decant circle.

IN THE IMP: Notes and images in order ... gingerbread, cloves, something automotive. I'm getting an image of a car. I have no idea why.

Dabbed on one wrist (the crook of said arm was being test driven by Gingerbread Satyr.)

WET: Oh. Duh. Now I understand why I was getting automotive images. While the gingerbread note dominated when I test drove Gingerbread Snake and Gingerbread Satyr, in this one the pine takes over ... and to me, when wet, makes it smell like one of those little pine tree car fresheners when you first open them. The pine completely dominates, before the clove works its way in. And finally the gingerbread shows up, huffing and puffing.

DRYDOWN: By the time it dries it's more evenly distributed between the gingerbread and the pine, with the clove playing backup to the pair of leading players. This is a really Christmassy scent, with the pine and gingerbread.

OVERALL: Of the three I tried, this is the one that was borderline keeper for me. I don't think I'd wear it again but I want to try it as a scent for the house ... either in the aromatherapy steam shower or something. I love the scent when it dries as a cold weather holiday scent.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 4.

This is gingerbread with an extra bite of sharpness, like evil gingerbread:) Kind of reminds me The Flesh Eating Reindeer From Uranus that was available several years ago from Dark Delicacies. This blend seems angry and cranky. Kind of like a troll. I don't mind it, but don't need any more.

In the bottle - Burnt gingerbread; really there's an acrid smoke note that is really quite unpleasant

Wet on me - A clean, slightly green musk beneath the gingerbread

Dry on me - A soft sweet gingerbread with a green earthy backdrop

Overall - Considering how many death notes there are in Troll this is surprisingly nice

ITI: All I can make out right now is the lab's gingerbread note. It's super strong.

Wet: I get rich gingerbread, lots of clove, and cumin. Interesting.

Dry: The gingerbread does calm down some after a few hours, although it's still the most clear notes to the nose. I still get a little clove and a touch musk, but nothing else.

First impressions: burnt gingerbread!

Whoo Gingerbread Troll is STRONG. This is like the angriest, most aggressive gingerbread man I could ever have imagined. :lol:

The musk and vetiver (the latter of which is being pleasantly subdued, for once!) are what make this work for me- they keep the gingerbread from being too foody. The pine takes it from there to make it SCREAM Christmas- what could be more Christmas-y than gingerbread and pine trees?

I really like this, actually. It's very strong and I need to apply with a light hand but it's a different type of Christmas scent (musky, spicy and MEAN) and that appeals to me!

All of the intense woodsmoke and burning pine trees of Troll, with some gingerbread spice added in. It does smell very Christmassy, in a way, like roaring fireplaces, freshly cut Christmas trees, and the cinnamon potpourri that shows up around the holidays. I just don't find this to be wearable at all. The harsh smoke, pine, and cinnamon gives me a headache.

I feel like this is a gingerbread forest. As if the trees and plants were all constructed of gingerbread so their scent is a hybrid of what they usually smell like and gingerbread. It's foodie, but it's a foodie that I almost get along with. The vetiver makes it a little more biting, especially since it's paired with the clove. It's not something I'd get a ton of wear out of, but it's not bad at all.