Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
The Poison Queen

Titan Toadstools and Leprous Fire

Fainting and gasping, I looked at that unhallowed Erebus of titan toadstools, leprous fire, and slimy water, and saw the cloaked throngs forming a semicircle around the blazing pillar. It was the Yule-rite, older than man and fated to survive him; the primal rite of the solstice and of spring's promise beyond the snows; the rite of fire and evergreen, light and music. And in the Stygian grotto I saw them do the rite, and adore the sick pillar of flame, and throw into the water handfuls gouged out of the viscous vegetation which glittered green in the chlorotic glare. I saw this, and I saw something amorphously squatted far away from the light, piping noisomely on a flute; and as the thing piped I thought I heard noxious muffled flutterings in the foetid darkness where I could not see. But what frightened me most was that flaming column; spouting volcanically from depths profound and inconceivable, casting no shadows as healthy flame should, and coating the nitrous stone above with a nasty, venomous verdigris. For in all that seething combustion no warmth lay, but only the clamminess of death and corruption.

Viscous vegetation, slimy water, suffocating incense: death cap and false morel with green frankincense, black copal, Spanish moss, celery seed, and lime rind over stagnant black liquid and decaying kelp.

In the Bottle: This smells like putrid, decaying plant matter, like damp, rotting woods and leaves and mushrooms and all the things of the forest. I am not sure I am brave enough to skin test this. D:

Okay it took me all day to work up to it, but here you go.

Wet on skin: Oh God, gross, get it off!! Very green and rot-y smelling with a sickening sweet undertone. D: D: D:

Dry: Sharp, putrid narcissus, like rotting narcissus flowers in the woods where some unholy ritual has been done. Unless the Elder Gods tell me to keep this scent, it will be finding a new home.

This is not my kind of scent, but I can appreciate it.

It smells like a texture...let me explain. You know the slimy, light green seaweed you get in a seaweed salad? It smells like that (without the seaweed). The actual smell is similar to Faeu Boulanger's mushroom-y light green note. It is almost melon-y, too. Like if a honeydew and a mushroom got drunk at a party, hooked up and had a lovechild. It is light, refreshing and curious.

I am not into it because it is not my style, but I can see someone who likes cucumber, melon, and/or mushroom scents liking this.

Moss, strong celery seed and sweet frankincense.

Holy crap, I really am amping up the celery seed on the drydown.

So, very very green. Smells like a salad. And evil salad. You know, the type with tentacles.

No mushrooms, but I'm sure if you look, you can find them.

I agree with the comparison to Faeu Boulanger. There is a sense of glowing green honeydew melon-yness. I also smell cucumber and mushroom. This would be amazingly lovely for summer, except the "cucumber" part doesn't smell light and fresh, it's really bitter. (I think the lime rind, celeryseed and frankincense are to blame.)

This seems to improve on the drydown, but the plastic cucumber smell is offputting. I'll retest it later.

In the decant: The celery seed is very strong!

Wet: That celery seed calms down, and the lime rind is front-and-center.

The dry-down: A fresh green scent emerges, sort of like a cucumber or a green unripe melon. There might be a hint of the frank keeping this from being too veggie. This would be perfect for early spring.

Green, green, green and more green:) I'm getting green grass, lime, celery, kelp and moss. I actually quite like this, it reminds me of a spring breeze in a meadow with lots of lakes and a mountain with snow nearby. I do wish the celery was a bit less dominant, though, and that would make this blend perfect.

Another Lab frottle. Murky water, kinda has a cologne quality to it. Definitely earthy and dirty from the mushroom notes. But it's also clean at the same time from the celery seed and lime rind. It's interesting. I'm getting more of a clean green vibe from this than the dirt but it's still present in the background and keeps this from smelling like shampoo or something. 

Nicer than expected, loved seeing it morph on my skin with all these different notes. A keeper for sure!