Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Sweet Pea

First cultivated in the late 17th century by a Sicilian monk, Father Francis Cupani, sweet peas represent chastity, bliss, and innocent pleasures. The vines and flowers are used in magick to protect children, guard virtue, inspire affection, and cultivate friendship.

In the bottle: Very sweet and very green. I get the vines in this straight off. There's also a sharp under-note to this scent, almost like a cleaner, but the over-note is keeping it in check.

Wet On Skin: The sharpness has dissipated, and the 'green' plant-y smell has become more integrated with the sweet aspect, making it more juicy. I almost get a cucumber-meets-also vibe from it at this stage.

Dry Down: Strangely, this scent has become rather like a laundry detergent on my skin :eek: It's not unpleasant, but I think I'll have to try this out a few more times before I feel like I get a good handle on it, preferably on a day that it's not in the 90's ;)

In All: Low throw, a scent that lays close to the skin, I'm not certain that Sweet Pea is something I'll wear on it's own. However I can see this being a great addition for amping a 'green' aspect in another blend or mixing it with some of the sweeter floral SNs, like Eight-Petaled Lotus, and creating something really beautiful.

Keeper! :)

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: It's a floral single note that isn't rose or violet. It must be tried.

In the Bottle: A very viny-green light floral with a pronounced sweetness. Comparing it to some of the other florals that strike me as related, it's much lighter and more pink than Evening Stock and greener or slightly more citrus-y than Sweet Alyssum.

Wet: Ooh! I get a lovely burst that is almost like sugared fruit! My first thought was strawberry, but that could be due to the pink impression. Right now it's light and sweet and a very cheerful scent.

Drydown: The greeny side has come back to temper the sugary feel of the flower. Still a light, spring-like scent but not quite so happy as before.

Verdict: A pity the wet stage doesn't stick, because then it's gorgeous on me. It's still pretty and I expect I'll be playing with combinations on this one.

I bought this because it is a floral single note, and I tend to love florals (save for jasmine and violet). I didn't know what Sweet Pea smelled like, but I decided to try out a few imps containing that note to help me decide whether or not I should order a bottle (Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Juliet, and Titania). After having a pleasant experience with the imps, I decided to order a bottle, as I didn't want to miss out!

I am SO glad that I ordered a bottle of this. It is such a lovely, sweet floral. I do get a touch of greenery from it. It's simply wonderful. I think I may need another bottle!

This is really great on its own, but I think I may layer it over Mouse's Long and Sad Tale because I tend to amp the sandalwood note in it.

Alas, it doesn't have much staying power on me, but I do live in a dry climate.

If you are contemplating throwing a bottle of this into your next order, and you happen to be a fan of florals, do it!

I don't like most florals, but rose and sweet pea are the exceptions. This has that sweet pink sweet pea smell for a second, but then it is taken over by greenery. It doesn't have much throw, even slathered. I wish that first sniff stuck around.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of a lot of florals, although there are some I like a lot -- lily of the valley, peony, sweet pea, one or two others I'm not thinking of. So I snagged a bottle of this unsniffed.

Alas, it does not work on me at all. Wet on my skin, it smells like sharp soap -- Tide detergent comes to mind. Dried down is pretty much more of the same.

A shame, but I guess they can't all be winners. This will likely be going to a new home.

I have to admit being pleasantly surprised by this. Typically BPAL sweet pea is an uberaggressive floral on me. Meaning that it BLOOMS on my skin, and by bloom, I mean it bombastically explodes all over. And that's all I can smell.

This one is slightly sweet, with a touch of green, very soft, and very feminine. It's very fresh... and oddly enough I think I like it just the way it is. Floral, fresh, feminine. The color that comes to mind actually is the pink tone that some white roses get. Blush? I think it's called.

Hrm. May have to track down a partial of this.

ITB: It's green, but not astringent, followed by the floral aspect of sweet pea...and there is also something pleasantly aquatic about it as well.

Wet: It's more floral on my skin, then green, although the aquatic undertone is interesting and adds some depth to this single note.

Dry: It reminds me of bath soap for some reason - I think it's because it's fresh, clean, and floral.

Fresh green floral, non offensive, bright and cheery. I recognize it from 'A Mouse's Long and Sad Tale'. Unfortuneately it disappears very quickly on me, and what's left is soapy. Funny it sticks around very well in Mouse's but not as a single note on me. The throw is different than up close, more of the pretty ambery floral, and less soapy. More soapy up close. I do like how the air smells around me, and I'll certainly keep the imp, but 'Mouse' is superior in the way the Sweet Pea comes out in the blend. Still, this is very nice!

In the bottle - Sweet peas, but with the tartness of a green apple to them

Wet on me - A very green sappy note under the freshness of the sweet peas

Dry on me - A soft gentle floral of powdery sweet peas

Overall - Very pretty indeed