BPAL Madness!
ellebelle

Fizzy Jack O' Lantern

1.5 oz gin
½ oz dry sherry
½ oz lemon juice
1 tsp pumpkin butter
2 dashes of Averna amaro

Pour the gin, sherry, lemon juice, pumpkin butter, and liqueur to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake that mofo and strain it into a rocks glass filled with ice and a strong, spicy ginger ale. Stir gently, and garnish with a cinnamon stick or human finger bone.

This one is SO WEIRD and I'm glad I ordered a bottle. In the bottle, it smells like very high-quality fizzy water with a tiny bit of squash--not much sweetness, and it's almost mildly astringent. After the dry-down, it smells like a light gin and tonic with a little pumpkin--but not sweet. This is a very subtle scent and really unique.

2016 version: All I get is the gin note from Twenty-One, maybe sweetened with the berry note from Skadi or Almond Blossom. I love Twenty-One — it's one of my all-time favorites — but I already have a bottle, plus last year's Gingered Chocolate Soufflé oddly reduces to just the gin note from Twenty-One on my skin and I have a bottle of that too, so I won't need this. But lovely to try.

I am a sucker for the BPAL fizzy and champagnes! This one is no different, but it has another element I love - pumpkin spice! But fortunately, a very subtle pumpkin spice. I get it when I put my nose up close to the scent, and the pumpkin becomes more prominent as it dries down. I love it!

I've discovered this Weenie season (my first) that I have something of an adverse reaction to the smell of pumpkin, and the first whiff of Fizzy Jack O'Latern - which smells like pumpkin soda - is kind of gross.

I soldier on however and fortunately the pumpkin doesn't stick around on the skin and it turns into a fizzy ginger ale with a touch of sherry. I like it - it's fizzy and fun, but not something I would reach for, probably ever.

However, super glad I got to try it through a lovely lovely swap.

This is confusing on my nose! I can't work out what it reminds me of in the bottle, a fuzzy peach shower gel by The Body Shop I think?! It seems to have a good throw when wet. It's quite sharp and starting to turn soapy on me. I smell like gin. I love gin, but not this much! SWAP!

This is definitely a confusing scent, as others have noted, but I kind of love it. If I remind myself that it's a gin/sherry/lemon mix that I'm supposed to be smelling I can pick them all out, but all mixed together they kind of smell like ginger ale. In the background are lemon cookies and maybe some pumpkin spice bread/muffins/what have you.

Also: this is the fizziest thing I've ever smelled. From now on I'm just going to blind-buy anything with sparkling/fizzy in the description because I love BPAL's handling of that kind of scent. Somehow it makes my nose feel the way it does when I get up close to soda or champagne and sniff! I honestly have no idea how much I would wear this, but it's so much fun.

Bottle: effervescent orange

Wet: no change

Dry: orange spray

Like a lemon slice in a ginger ale. I get no creamy pumpkin or spice. Just a bubbly drink with a chemical alcohol edge.

Smells like effervescent pumpkin, citrus, and dirty, sweaty feet. Not sure what's going on with my nose and skin chemistry but Pumpkin Foot is going to swaps!

Fizzy! I was excited to try this one. I have imps left from a decant circle form 2012 that I JUST GOT TO now. What the heck, right?

In the imp I was super excited.

On skin at first I really loved it too. Reminds me of the atomic lau scents, and other gin/champagne scents.

But it's the pumpkin spice. Something in the labs "pumpkin spice" goes a little... sickly sweet on me? Vaguely fake, tooo pumpkin? Something. I found it in the single note and it's 100% in this as well.

It's an ALMOST awesome for me. The pumpkin is just a bit too thick/sweet for me. Then I read the review above mine and now I can't stop smelly sweaty feet either :rofl:

Wet: Fizzy lemon and ginger cocktail. Strong on the ginger!

Dry: The effervescence has died off a bit. This is primarily ginger ale now, with a pretty weak throw.

Oh this is odd on me! 

In the bottle it's sweet, a little pumpkin, a lotta liquor, a buttery sweet cocktail.

However once it goes on me I seem to be getting the... labs dead leaves note? It gets a weird amount of pepper on me, than the alcohol starts to burn off, and I think I'm getting the gin in HEAVY amounts. Overall it goes from fizzy ginger wonder to weirdly pepperish alcoholic cologne? I don't know y'all my skin chemestry is doing something weird to this.

I am testing 2012.

It's so weird-- when I first opened and sniffed from the bottle it had a fizzy soda pop quality, but sniffing it again it's less bubbly and more sweet with a bit more pumpkin and ginger beer. 

Wet this is soda pop, like their bon vivant champagne. Lemon juice from pre-bottled syrup. It has a less bubbly alcohol note which makes sense. Mostly citrus top note almost like Mountain Dew haha. Pumpkin isn't very clear here. I would have loved pumpkin but I'm not getting it.

As I wear it there's a tiny hint of spice that *may* be the cinnamon OR just the bubbly quality of it. It definitely smells like a drink!
At drydown it settles kinda sweet, slightly candy citrus, but less bubbly. Slightly gin, and enjoyable here, but not really for me. It dries down into their champagne note.

Edited by follis