Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Wwindy

The "If You Like X, You Might Like Y" chart

Does anyone remember the thread that wound up creating the fabulous chart of popular blends and the *other* blends that people who like those blends also tend to enjoy? I can't find a link -- does anyone know where it is?

Does anyone remember the thread that wound up creating the fabulous chart of popular blends and the *other* blends that people who like those blends also tend to enjoy? I can't find a link -- does anyone know where it is?

Is this it? http://www.bpal.org/...ost__p__1227586

No, someone actually compiled poll data so you could cross-reference on an actual chart -- in other words, if you like Cathedral, you could look on the chart and see that people with the same favorite also tended to like Coyote but hate Titania, for instance (random names there, I don't actually remember any of the correlations off the top of my head!). It was limited to standard catalogue scents only.

Oh wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, but I sure want to!

Wow, I loved that list. It needs to be a spreadsheet, though. I could see myself spending several hours turning it into one...

Must. Resist.

I would love to read through a list of that kind!

I often wonder what scents I should try that might seem unappealing at first glance (but would be really great on me in reality).

I would love to see a list like this, too! Fingers crossed that someone can find it. :wub2: Because a reason to buy more BPAL is exactly what we all need. :D ('But, the list told me to! It said this would be awesome for me!')

That would be such an awesome tool! Cause I am constantly looking for oils that are like other pils:)))

I still have the chart saved in pdf form. I am, however, extremely clueless about how to post it or post a link! If someone would like to PM me with their email address, I will be happy to send it to them so they can post it :) Sorry for the cluelessness though!

Edited for way too many exclamation points

Edited by mimers99

Is this the chart we're looking for? :D

Thank you mimers99!!!!! :wub2:

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realise google docs is a little weird with the zoom. But if you download the PDF, you should be able to view it just fine.

Edited by kaitan

According to this chart, I am completely weird and unpredictable. ;)

The only correlation I could find is my love for Snake Oil and Shub Niggurath.

Let's see--I assume reds are best match or something? :D

Antique Lace and Tombstone -- yes, I loved Tombstone, but it's still a bit too much on the foody side for my wearing. Super yummy though.

Black Opal and the Lion -- hmm, I liked The Lion, but IIRC it was a bit "too much" for me, was pretty much a straight shrug off. Funny though how Tombstone seems to be the worst match XD

Liz and Eat Me and Shub-Nuggurath -- I've tried both and didn't like either. The latter was especially gingery, which I don't go for.

Lyonesse and Light of Men's Lives -- I have never tried Light of Men's Lives. Now maybe I should! "The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering."

Interesting. Whomever created this is a spreadsheet wizard! Although, according to this I'm all over the place, too. Which is great because I'll be trying some scents I would have never even looked at before - yahoo! :lol:

OK, from this spreadsheet - which is awesome by itself, seriously! - I am all over the place and exactly at: Boomslang, Dorian, Hollywood Babylon, Shub Niggurath, Snake Oil.

The scents that this sheet suggests to me, solely based on my love of Boomslang, are: Bewitched (nope), Cathedral (doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy), Jailbait (bubblegum?), Tezcatlipoca (have an imp somewhere to test), The Bow & Crown of Conquest (leather scares me, but it sounds yummy somehow), TKO (not for me), Velvet (also not for me - weird chocolate). I guess it's not all bad: some didn't work for me, some might not work for me, but at least I got 1-2 suggestions out of that.

Now, for Dorian (which is very different from Boomslang) I got: Alice (sadly, no roses for me), Black Opal (was OK on me, but I fear I cannot test this again now that it's DC), Bordello (nope), Cheshire Cat (want to try this!), Dee (not sure if I tried this), Eat Me (no!!), How Doth the Little Crocodile (also no!), Lady Una (no), Liz (have to try), Pele (was good on me), and again The Bow & Crown of Conquest. Another one that was suggested to me at least twice was Crowley. But both are leather scents, and Crowly has so many death notes in it like.. patchouli and red musk and leather and wood and.. ack!

I'm not so sure if this chart works for me at all. I should be in love with one scent based on my love of XY, and I should hate that very same scent based on my love of AB. It's very confusing.

Hmmm...this is going to sound weird and....well....none of these scents work on my skin, meaning none of the ones I can wear are here...wonder if someone will make a new one ;)

Hmmm...this is going to sound weird and....well....none of these scents work on my skin, meaning none of the ones I can wear are here...wonder if someone will make a new one ;)

I was actually just wondering the same... if we could do this again, but with some different GCs/ recent LEs. How would you structure the poll for this? I've never used the forum's poll thingy, so am utterly clueless here.

After the data is gathered though, it's simply a matter of some spreadsheet magic. :D

Which oils would we even want on a new poll?

I was actually just wondering the same... if we could do this again, but with some different GCs/ recent LEs. How would you structure the poll for this? I've never used the forum's poll thingy, so am utterly clueless here.

After the data is gathered though, it's simply a matter of some spreadsheet magic. :D

Which oils would we even want on a new poll?

I might suggest to add some with notes that a lot of people don't like (like vetiver, lol, one of the good ones for me)...along with popular favorites. It seems to me, I'm just enough of an alien to not be able to wear *many* of the ones raved about....my best notes are orris, vetiver, white musk, incense (a'la The High Priest), violet, sage, chamomile, clove, currant, honey, and light leather, and what's saddest is I can't seem to wear hardly any BPAL floral notes, or basic wood notes. In other oils I can wear jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom, sandlewood, fir, and pine.

So, blahblahblah...sorry about the ramble.