Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tesseljoan

BPAL for headaches, pain, colds, seizures, sickness, illnesses...

Right, a thread inspired by my two days of not holding any food or water inside: Are there any oils that give you a sense of well-being without triggering the nausea? I've seem to have gone off all my BPAL, Lush and essential oils at the moment... Is it better to leave it for the moment untill my 'old' sense of smell returns?

When I am having lung troubles, I use my sample of Pain. I would Imagine Banshee would be a good one too, since it has the euc in it. Anything with Camphor eucalyptus mints and or rosemary should rock for sinus and lung problems.

Hope you feel better!!

when ever i feel sick to my tummy mint type oils are the only things i can wear... and i swear it makes me feel a lil better... btw are there any BPAL oils that smell primarily minty?

Not an oil, but I find that lemon and ginger tea is excellent for quelling nausea. Even just sniffing the steam helps settle my stomach if I'm poorly.

Hope you feel better soon.

Right, a thread inspired by my two days of not holding any food or water inside: Are there any oils that give you a sense of well-being without triggering the nausea? I've seem to have gone off all my BPAL, Lush and essential oils at the moment... Is it better to leave it for the moment untill my 'old' sense of smell returns?

This is a terrible admission, but the scent of perfume made me horribly sick to my stomach while I was ill. Great situation for a perfumer to be in. However, I agree with everyone here: the scent of mints and eucalyptus are soothing, and will help with any congestion you may be experiencing. Teas made of peppermint and ginger should help quell nausea, as will chewing ginger root or any natural crystallized ginger candies.

Be careful of the perfumes [or any other strong scent!] you expose yourself to when you're sick. The smell may stick subconsciously, and may trigger a negative reaction later on once you're well.

After this past illness, it'll be a long time before I can stand the smell of V8 or any other tomato juice. I'm sure you all don't want to hear the gory details on that. =P

when ever i feel sick to my tummy mint type oils are the only things i can wear... and i swear it makes me feel a lil better...  btw are there any BPAL oils that smell primarily minty?

I don't know if Nero has any mint in it...but my sample smells a little like Vicks Vaporub. I'm wearing it today actually. I love wearing it to bed...helps me drift off to sleep. (NERO: Rosemary, bay, pine and a touch of lemon.)

--Amy

Sometimes on those lovely mornings after a wicked "night before" I am not feeling so wonderful :oops: ... Phantasm has become my saviour. The lemon is so fresh yet so soft, it's relaxing and comforting but most important - I feel like I am enveloped by fresh, clean, crisp air. Really great when those fuggy dizzy icky spells come on!

Sierona, Undertow is a minty smelling oil. But it is also a little sweet, and on me it smells a little chocolatey for some reason. It is a very cold scent.

Thnx ladylatemar! My currant order i am waitin for has undertow in it ... and i will have to get Nero sometime to try it out thnx dark cello!

Nero is good for me too, esp. when it's a nausea issue!

Sometimes I put it on before bed to clear my mind before sleep - if I'm feeling stressy and harassed by work.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I seemed to be grabbing instinctively for the minty and ginger smells, ie. Snow white and Kumiho. Luckily the scent association didn't stick in my head (but the scent of beer still makes me queesy for some reason, so I'll stick to whiskey)

Thanks to my great-great grandmother, who firmly insisted upon using remedies from "the mother land," we were always handed a sprig of dill to chew on when our stomachs were upset. My great-grandmother trained my grandmother when she married into the family, and she trained my mother - and I've been considering planting some dill in a planter that can come in during the winter.

I'm sure the scent part is simply association, but dill weed does definitely help an upset stomach.

As for a scent for cold and sniffly-type illnesses, I'd think Old Rome would do the trick. I know it doesn't have eucalyptus or pine but it's a sharp, kicky green that would help clear sinuses and invigorate a snuffly, worn-out gal.

Grooh. I have a cold. The first one in months, so I have got off quite lightly, I guess.

I know I'll be better by the time I could get my hands on any more oils, but it's got me wondering. Are there any BPAL oils that are good for unblocking stuffy noses and fuzzy cold-filled heads? My sense of smell is all muted at the moment, and that's horrible :/

I thought Absinthe would be good for this, and it wasn't bad, but does anyone have more ideas?

Otherwise I'm going to be stuck with my new signature scent. Olbas Oil. :P

:D poor you :P

Olbas Oil is wonderful... Lush-wise Hot Java + Chai or World Piece + Freeze are good. BPAL... of those I have tried maybe Pain, it is very like Ice Hotel and quite head-clearing.

Hope you feel better soon :D

I don't know offhand of a BP that works for nose-clearing, but if you have access to Burt's Bees stuff, their bath crystals are fantastic for that. It's very intense menthol and eucalyptus, so much that if you aren't having sinus issues it's waaaaaaay too much, but it's about the only thing that fixed my sniffer a few months ago when I lost my sense of smell because of a cold (and y'all can imagine how much that freaked me out!)

Thank you for your suggestions!

I'm feeling much better today :P

Ahkay -- after the latest round of tornadic thunderstorms this morning [may I just say how much I hate living in Tornado Alley?], I have a horrible tension headache.

I was wondering if there were any BPAL oils that might assist in the relieving of a headache of this specific type? I have migraines and sinus headaches, too, but they seem to be centered in different areas of the brain than tension headaches, and tend to need a different relief.

I've been wondering about this as well. I get screaming migraines that feel like someone's driving a railroad spike through my head, and I'd really prefer not to medicate myself all the time. So (not to hijack your thread) I'd also be interested to hear if anyone's had any luck with specific blends and migraines.

I've been wondering about this as well.  I get screaming migraines that feel like someone's driving a railroad spike through my head, and I'd really prefer not to medicate myself all the time.  So (not to hijack your thread) I'd also be interested to hear if anyone's had any luck with specific blends and migraines.

Hijack away -- I wouldn't mind finding out about migraine relief, too. Mine tend to last more than the standard couple of days and can get so miserable that I wish someone would just come along and lop off my head with a broadsword already, as it wouldn't hurt as much. Between my left eye twitching, a frozen railroad spike being jammed into the back of my brain, and my entire scalp hurting without even being touched... I just want some relief, and medications tend not to work. Or they'll take the slightest edge off of the ice pick feeling and that's it.

I generally can't tolerate any kind of smell without puking during a migraine, but I seem to recall a couple people mentioning the Pain oil helping during headaches.

For tension headaches, I've heard that lavender oil can be good, rubbed sparingly into the temples and the back of the neck .. preferably by another person! I've also found that having someone massage the base of my neck, shoulders and upper back often helps when I get those .. which I do .. often.

As for the migraines .. count me in on those as well. not as often since I've cut most of the caffeine and processed fodds out of my diet .. but occasionally .. yeouch! I'm thinking I should get an imp of pain to try it out, since I too have heard the same suggestions.

I think I might have to see if Pain or something with similar ingredients might help -- my tension headache's receded, but now I'm being stared in the face with the beginnings of a migraine because of the cleaning solution they used in the (not-very-well-venilated) bathroom at work today. *whimper*

I haven't used any of the BPAL stuff for migraine or tension headaches (as I am a sufferer of both) but as an aromatherepist I can reccomend 5 dropps of lavender to 3 drops of chamomile in a water pot (i use a tart burner of the yankee candle company) it really helps and has a wonderful narcotic effect on you as well.

miranda

hiya.

i was hoping someone could recommend some good medications, or other remedies for:

*sinus pain/congestion

*pain in general (particularly from standing around at work all day, ouchie feets!)

*menstrual cramp pain

and anything else really.

what pills, herbs, medicines, etc help you, and could maybe even possibly help me? :P

thanks!

*****i mean to post this in randomness, if someone could move it for me that'd be great, sorry i am tireeed*****

Edited by nenia