Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Timewalker

What are good scents for diffusers?

Hello everyone, I am a new member, nice to meet you.

I have a couple of questions about BPAL, since I just discovered them today and they look extremely interesting.

Have any of you tested these in oil diffusers? I'm male, and not looking for perfume, but love burning oils in my room.

I love scents that ignite the senses, sensual or earthy, and I'm a sucker for flowery notes such as Jasmine and rose. And I especially love scents that give my room the feel of a sanctuary, a calm, protective place to contemplate alone. I know these are two different things, but my tastes have range :)

If these oils would be good for diffusion, what would you recommend as a good starting blend for this?

I use bpal in oil warmers all the time and have put them in humidifier type things before as well, and they work great and have lots of throw. My favorite for use as a room scent right now is Horse Chestnut Honey, which is a good mix of crisp & outdoorsy and foodie.

Versailles is a very pretty, decadent mix of jasmine and rose. I've used Follow Me Boy as a room scent before as well, and I find it to be very jasmine-y and sensual. The Rose is (obviously, lol) a really good, fresh rose blend that makes a great room scent.

If you want something earthy and sexy with rose and jasmine, there's The Obsidian Widow. I haven't used it as a room scent yet, but I love it as a perfume.

Voodoo, Sin, Zombi, and Hetairae are also favorites of mine for sensual-earthy room scents. If you like spice, I'd also recommend trying Bengal, and Cathedral or Faustus for a calm, protective scent if you enjoy resins at all.

Second Cathedral for a comforting room scent...

Then again, I use to slather myself in Cathedral AND use it in a oil warmer at the same time, when I feel down... I love the scent.

I've noticed I like a lot Dia de los Muertos, as a room scent, when I feel I need a little reassurance, but it's a LE, so I can't really recomend it... then again, I think it's one which is rather easy to find decants of in the sales section...

Obsidian widow was one that I had noticed, but I wasn't sure about the Pinot Noir, exactly.

Cathedral sounds very interesting, as does Hetairae.

The Black tower seemed like it would be interesting, as does Black Forest. Ode on Melancholy sounds like it would be a beautiful scent combination, I'm just not sure what it would do to a room.

How long does the 5ml usually last for you in the diffuser? Do you need to use more or less than regular essential oils?

Welcome to the forum - I hope you are enjoying yourself so far! There's a topic in Beyond Perfume that may have some more info on the details of using BPAL in your diffuser - you can find it here. I usually put some unscented soy wax (from chopping up a votive, or using a whole soy tealight) in the top of my tealight-powered warmer with the oil because I've had issues with oils smoking, but if your diffuser is specifically designed for oils you should be fine.

BPAL oils are a less potent than straight essential oils, but they are pretty concentrated. Some blends will be a lot stronger than others depending on the components. I usually start out with less than I think I'll need, then add a little more at a time. I have used as much as 1 ml (an imp) in one use for light scents, but usually less than that. You may just need to experiment, since the size of your space, the strength you prefer and the potency of the scent are all going to be factors.

One scent that I find particularly evocative is Ulalume - it's an earthy forest scent overlain with lilies. Whoso List To Hunt has rose with some resinous and earthy components. Mata Hari is one of the most unusual rose-jasmine blends, there's also vanilla, woods and coffee in that one and I really love the combination. And I second Bengal, Cathedral, and Sin. All are beautiful and comforting to me.

We've been using "Jack" around our house. My hubbie thinks it's too strong on me as a perfume but it makes our home smell lovely and is a great scent for the holidays.

-Mel

Thanks for all the info, everyone :)

I've been trying to figure something out. I've looked at the rose thread, and most people just talk about using it as perfume. I've looked at the diffuser thread, but not many people try for rose.

I recall a time in my hometown when I would walk in the Botanical Gardens during spring and summer, and there would be fields of Roses of every shape and color. I remember loving being surrounded by the scent of rose, just enveloped in it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scent that I could use in my diffuser for that effect? I looked at Black Rose, which looks interesting, and 2 5 and 7, although the latter seems like it could be way too sugary in the end. I'd just like to be surrounded by the smell of roses, does anyone have any idea of what would work best for that?

Edited by Timewalker

Thanks for all the info, everyone :)

I've been trying to figure something out. I've looked at the rose thread, and most people just talk about using it as perfume. I've looked at the diffuser thread, but not many people try for rose.

I recall a time in my hometown when I would walk in the Botanical Gardens during spring and summer, and there would be fields of Roses of every shape and color. I remember loving being surrounded by the scent of rose, just enveloped in it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scent that I could use in my diffuser for that effect? I looked at Black Rose, which looks interesting, and 2 5 and 7, although the latter seems like it could be way too sugary in the end. I'd just like to be surrounded by the smell of roses, does anyone have any idea of what would work best for that?

From everything I've read, Rose Red (part of the Limited Edition Yules and orderable from the lab right now) is the truest "rose" rose scent- it smells the closest to real roses.

Have to agree with VioletFemme, even though I haven't smelled Rose Red (but I will soon enough... my decant is on it's way), from what I've red, it seems like the rosest one around.

I've tried 2,5 & 7, and it's a very sweet sugary rose... was rather disapointed.

Glasgow is a nice rosy heather smell, like lying in the grass, not so far away from a rose bush, but sadly, it's rather soft... so I guess one would have to use a lot of it to scent a room.

The Rose (from Marchen) is a very realistic rose scent - it reminds me of Rose Red and vice versa. I'd recommend either of them to get that true rose. Two, Five and Seven is also very realistic, but the grass note makes it go a little weird for me. I actually would prefer it in a diffuser vs. on my skin, since that's where the grass goes odd. With the GC scents, you do have the option of getting sample sizes (imps) first from the Lab before committing to 5 ml bottles.

I agree that Rose Red is the perfect realistic rose scent. I hate rose perfumes, but Rose Red is about as close as I could ever come to wearing one. It smells like fresh, unopened roses to me, complete with the stem.

Reviving this to request some recommendations for my diffuser...

I get migraines a lot and use scents (perfumes, candles, etc) to try to relax myself. I recently got a tea light oil burner and have been having great fun with my perfume and essential oils. However, I find that when I've got a headache some things just make it worse. I love a stronger scent, but anything heavy on the sugar makes me super nauseous. Pumpkin Masala Rooibos nearly did me in. I really like using perfume oils because it seems like the scent lasts longer than my essential oils for some weird reason, and also because if I use water I can pour it into a jar with vitamin e oil when I'm done and use it for hair scenting purposes later. Still, I know some perfumes don't work well in a diffuser. I'd like some input on scents that worked well in your diffuser! Preferably nothing as cloying as Pumpkin Masala Rooibos, but if you have a sugary blend in mind that you ADORE... then go ahead and suggest away. :)

Some scents that I've tried:

Lavender Essential oil (yay, but short lived)

"Detox" blend of essential oils (eucalyptus, mint, rosemary, lavender....I can't remember the rest. Very minty.) (also awesome, but short lived)

Bewitched (mmmmm, lasted fairly well with only a few droplets.)

Undertow (nummy!)

Pumpkin Masala Rooibos (Guh! Too much!)

Copper Phoenix (meh, nice but not amazing. Made my room smell nice, though.)

Any suggestions?

So I tried Mouse's Sad and Long Tale in my new diffuser tonight - it's a nice scent but it's pretty suffocating as a room scent with all that sweet vanilla goodness!! Will update as I go through my collection haha. Bewitched is a good suggestion, perhaps I'll try that. And maybe Croquet. Or Morocco - I don't like that on my skin so much so maybe it would work in the diffuser...

I really like to put things in the diffuser that seem too ??? for wearing as perfume, like The Tavern of Hell or my favorite for rooms, The Witch's Garden.

All my hoarded imps are great for that. Seemingly all the homeless Taverns of Hell came to my house.

As for roses, I like to wear them as perfume, but weighing in on the rose debate, I really don't like Rose Red, although it's my BFFs favorite, it is nasty on me, but would most likely work as a room scent. The truest rose to me is The Rose, and I love Peacock Queen. Seance is a real true rose as well.

I really want to start doing this too. I figure, into the diffuser/oil warmer can go some of the lovely scents with jasmine that go all jasmine when they hit my skin, and also all the tea scents--I have several, and as it turns out, I don't really want to smell like tea myself, but I think they'd make nice fresh room scents.

I just want to give my input. I recently bought a plug in oil diffuser mister and wanted to try out some of my unused imps. I tried Envy and poured half an imp and wasn't expecting much. But surprisingly I could smell it! It diffused nicely and will burn for up to 8 hours. So anyone thinking of trying if with the mister diffusers, it definitely works!

Sign in to follow this