Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edenssixthday

The Death-Horse

Lily of the Valley and opoponax.

Starts out nice, all lily of the valley with a hint of resin in the background. It reminds me a lot of Bernardino Dotted Blue which is also heavy on the lily of the valley.
When it dries down the opoponax steps forward, I'm not a fan of opoponax it's too heavy and cloying for me. This ends up with bitter opoponax smothering the lily of the valley.
I'll stick to Bernardino Dotted Blue for my lily of the valley needs.

I got this as a frimp from the lab.

To me, this is the scentof the Goth Queen - cold, deathly, regal. Unbearable sexy in that "touch me and you'll die" sort of way. The lily is cold and hauntingly floral, the myrrh and oppopanax gritty and evil, and the whole thing is perfect for certain moods. I wouldn't wear this one all the time, but I always feel like I'm dressed in black and rocking a 'too gorgeous for you, peasant' vibe when I wear it. Definitely getting a bottle when the imp is gone.

FYI, maiden and morocco smell awful on me, while le Lethe and antkthera mechanism smell great...thought it might help others with similar chemistry.

This is truly a bizarre scent on me. And apparently, now I can narrow down the culprit, since I got the same cornchips-cumin-and-canned-chilis effect from this that I did Clytie...I've worn some lily of the valley scents without incident, but apparently the Lab's note does not fare well on my skin. Alas.

The Elfin Hill always had the best drawings (Arthur Rackham, of course) out of all the stories in my Hans Christian Andersen book. :)

This is an uncomplicated scent. It was really weak at first, but now as it's warmed up it's floral but a little hollow. Like death, maybe. I like it.

In the Bottle (ITB): It's resinous but strongly green and herbal with a faint impression of floral behind everything.

Wet:The opopponax is rather smoky and it significantly impacts the lily of the valley, taking it from a pure floral to something dark and foreboding.

Dry: Smoky opopponax that skews tobacco and now the lily of the valley is warping to a jasmine-like smell. Odd.

This kinda smells like a lily of the valley single note on me. ??? Seriously, that's all I smell. That's a pretty flower, but not my favorite floral note. Guess I'll pass this one along.

In the bottle - A deep, dark, almost fruity opoponax

Wet on me - Still that rich fruity opoponax but the high pitched floral of the lily of the valley comes out beneath it

Dry on me - Mostly deep rich fruit opoponax

Overall - I liked this more than I expected too, but it's still not really me

A boring lily which quickly sours to that "jasmine stamen" note which the Lab's florals sometimes collapse to on me. I'm not surprised this was discontinued given all the unhappy reviews here.

I got a bottle of this off etsy just recently, slightly nervous from all the negative reviews, but knowing that lily of the valley is a note that works well on me from the lab generally, and I like it with resins.

On me, this is a soft, creamy lily of the valley, still fresh but towards the end of it's bloom. That layers over a soft, spicy, fruity resinous scent from the opoponax. It's simple but beautiful on my skin.

I suspect from the reviews that this is one that goes a lot of different ways with skin chemistry, but if lily of the valley plus resins is generally good for you, it might be worth a shot.