Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Grave beauty: Spanish moss, lilac, wisteria, myrrh, and olibanum.

Decant from azurephoenix' circle. I'm finally getting to try out the rest of this line of scents besides my long-beloved Tombeur.

I love Beth's "graveyard" scents, and they are usually the only florals I really like, so I have high hopes for Silenti. On initial application, I smell the olibanum, which doesn't surprise me since I amp frankincense. But it is not harsh or overpowering, and immediately after application the moss and florals come forward. Upon drydown, the myrrh is present. This is just lovely, a soft resinous floral with hints of spring as well as the grave, but without the dirt note. I can see a bottle of this added to my future purchases!

I smelled this without knowing what was in it, and I was sniffing pretty hard and couldn't place the notes. I was having a hard time guessing what's in it. After I looked at the notes I thought, "Oh. Yes. Lilac. Now I smell it." The olibanum is behaving itself, which is super rare for me. This is a very nice dry, only slightly mossy, smoky floral. I like it. It's pretty. Not in-your-face at all. Definitely a night-time scent, for me. Not a day scent.

Vega's  review sums up my experience well.  I can smell the florals, but there is still a masculine darkness to this fragrance that makes it workable for either sex.  Wisteria often becomes screechy and harsh on my skin, but it behaves itself here, adding an elegance to the more prominent earthy, cool stone, and moss notes that are very reminiscent of an old cemetery.

I write, and being a perfume lover, I have certain fragrances I associate with my characters.  I associate Silenti with one of my favorite male characters.  He is undead, mysterious, refined b/masculine, melancholy, and aloof.  I'd say, if you enjoy moss, cemetery notes, or fougere's, this one's worth looking into.  

Wet: It starts as myrrh and lilac for the first minute or so. Then the myrrh backs way off, and it becomes floral with lilac and wisteria at the forefront. It's sweet and floral, but there is a freshness so that it isn't sickly sweet.

Drydown: It remains floral, but the myrrh comes back a bit more to deepen the scent. I can smell a touch of lemon, so frankincense must be making its entrance. It's bright and floral, but also grounded. Spanish moss is barely there, but still creating that "fresh" impression. I adore lilac and wisteria, so this is right up my alley. This would be a fantastic springtime scent. Unlike its namesake, there is nothing gloomy or unapproachable about it.

About 15 minutes in: The myrrh is stronger, and it's creating a warmth - almost like a campfire's dying embers. Is there vetiver in this? It blends with the lilac and wisteria. It sounds odd, but it's actually really nice. Spanish moss has a tendency to go powdery on me, and I am now getting a little of that.

90 minutes in I can smell the vetiver (the dry, grassy kind) and moss. The sweetness of wisteria is lingering in the background. It's sweet, a little powdery, and has the slightly burnt smell of vetiver for around 30 minutes. 

2 hours after application the Spanish moss takes over and wisteria is the only other note I can smell strongly. This is the stage I like best. It's sweetly floral (but not cloying) and mossy/powdery. It stays this way for about 10 hours before fading away. Throw is moderate to good. It reads feminine on my skin with the exception of that short vetiver phase. Other than a hint of lemon in the early stages, frankincense never really showed up for me. The florals do have a cool feel to them, especially with the moss. I can see where it might be evocative of isolation. I think it's beautiful. 

4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Wet I'm getting masculine leather with a very dry soap. Dry I get a surprisingly soft unisex moss blend with light dusty resins. Reminds me of some of the ars moriendi blends. Deep in Earth maybe. Makes me think of Middle Earth. Yes, Middle Earth Vampire. It's okay on its own, but would layer well with more florals. 

This is the fourth VDSA bottle I've purchased, and so far, it's my favorite blend of the series. It's also the only time that I've liked something with Spanish moss in it, I think! It's probably because lilac is my favorite floral scent ever. This is scent is very Anne Rice. It's a southern-U.S., aristocratic, removed from the modern age type of feel. The abandoned house that has fineries inside decaying away, and the gardens outside have grown wild with blooms. A hint of the romantic, a seduction of mystery. Lounge on the faded loveseat, and sleep forever.

Edited by skyturtles