Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nevermore

Pineapple

I ordered an imp of this in my last order, as pineapple is one of the few fruity scents I can tolerate and I wanted to try it out with Tarot - The Star (for a pina colada type scent). I had to try it by itself first though, and I was amazed. I was anticipating just straight up pinapple, but the imp I have has more of a creamy scent over top of the pineapple - like the fruit was cut up and served with ice cream. It's lovely. I think I may have to splurge and buy a bigger bottle. :P

It's pretty obvious what a fan of Beth's single notes I am, and pineapple is no exception. While I don't find this to be a "true" scent, it's lovely nonetheless.

Fresh pineapple, even over-ripe fresh pineapple, has a distinct tang to it. The single note of Pineapple I tried doesn't have that at all, and leans more towards the syrup out of a can of pineapple rings. In fact, it most reminds me of a scoop of pineapple sherbert; light, but sweet and very creamy.

Definitely edible, and beautiful in the blends Beth's been working it into lately. Not what I'd want as a scent by itself, but only because I'm not a huge fan of food smells.

I mentioned in another review that if Beth ever comes up with bath and body products, Blood Orange would be wonderful to start a kids' line with. This single note of Pineapple would be a lovely addition to it, as well, provided you could resist living out the phrase, "You're so cute I could just eat you up!"

Pineapple

This is definitely more of a sweetened pineapple than a sharp, fresh one. It's missing the tang of the fresh fruit, but it has a sweet, almost creaminess about it, like pineapple ice cream.

at first: this is the juiciest, freshest pineapple. my mouth is actually watering.

on: wow! this is great. just pure, sweet, juicy pineapple. i love it.

6 hours later: very soft. it's more powdery, like a hard pineapple candy.

7 hours later: still the same powdery, vaguely pineapple-esque scent.

overall: i like this. i'll probably try mixing it with my lime and/or coconut single note.

In bottle: Oh, wow. OH WOW. That is JUICY delicious pineapple! This is so dead-on that I can nearly taste the fruit.

On me: The slight bit of edge that was in the bottled form of this note vanishes on my skin. It's still lovely pineapple, but as others have said, it is less like the fruit and more like a candy or creamed version. It is still delicious, however.

To me, this smells like pineapple that's been in the fridge just long enough to make it sweet, juicy and cool. On my skin, it smells like what I imagine the Jolly Roger or Jelly Belly version of pineapple is like...sweet, juicy and a slight edge of sugar. Unfortunately, it makes me sneeze, sneeze and then (:shock:) sneeze. :P

Bottle (Imp): Amazingly, this smells like pineapple.

Just On: Wow, totally pineapple. This rocks.

An hour or two later: Plastic pineapple.

Around 6 hours: Still some plastic, but pineapple too.

12 hours: It's faded away to nothingness.

Overall: This was so pineapple at first, and my skin totally ruined it.

After reading other reviews: Apparently I'm the only one who gets that plstic yuck out of this. <sigh>

119802905.jpg

BPAL blends which include Pineapple single note as one of it's ingedients:

Mi-Go Brain Canister, Baba Yaga.

In the bottle

smells kinda like bubblegum

On

Smells like what's in Snake Oil, doesn't smell like pineapple to me, which is odd...cuz it's pineapple.

30 minutes

It had totally disappeared at 10 minutes.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity he he

Summary

I've been wanting to try this one for quite awhile. There is a blend that reminds me of a bpal blend or two and it's not Baba Yaga nor Mi-go Brain Canister. Dunno.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Pineapple doesn't seem to work well on my skin. At first it was heavenly, like juicy pineapple slices in syrup. After a few minutes, this started to get way too sweet though, and I normally love sweet scents. Powdery and sugary, like pineapple candies that are going to rot your teeth out in five seconds flat.

In the drydown, this starts to get a bit soapy on me. Sweet, soapy pineapples. I wish that this were more of a true pineapple.

In Bottle: Freshly cut pineapple

On Skin: This is the most realistic SN I’ve smelled I think! Well, at least it was in the bottle. When I smell it on my skin, it turns a little softer and… creamy. Yes, creamy which is not what I would expect from pineapple. It started tart and acidic, but then it sweetens up and becomes more deep and creamy, like a pineapple pudding. After about 10 minutes, it starts turning a little plastic on me. That is so weird, and sadly is really ruining the scent. I can smell the pineapple but the plastic mote makes it really artificial. And it doesn’t smell like the pineapple in Baba Yaga… odd. A medium throw and short wear length.

Pineapple - Wow, this is really gorgeous. This is one of the prettiest single notes I've encountered. I wish I could find more! This smells like fresh pineapple and reminds me of my most recent visit to Hawaii, when I ate fresh pineapple every morning. As it warms up on my skin, it gets really sugary-sweet, and the scent reminds me of the way dried pineapple tastes. I really really wish Beth would use this note in more of her blends. It's really fantastic.

Pineapple

In the imp: pineapple, but a sweet, sugary, almost plastic, almost like pineapple sweets than real pineapple. I smell a whiff of those spongy banana marshmallowy things you get at the pick n' mix.

Wet on skin: highly sugary pineapple flavoured sweets.

Dry on skin: pineapple and banana flavoured sweets, this is incredibly sugary, almost effervescent, very youthful but a tad artificial. It reminds me of theme parks and funfairs, like one of those sweets you get there, it also smells like those generic 'Tropical' soft drinks, not really a true pineapple, in fact this smells like a mix of synthetic tropical fruit flavours found in kid's drinks and sweets. Definitely a sweet, childlike scent, bouncy and flashy, neon coloured. Oddly, there's a strange vetiver undertone to this as well.

After a while: the slight sharpness that I detected at the beginning, like bubbles of soda, disappears. Now the scent is still just like those 'tropical' jelly sweets, with that marshmallow fluffy cheerfully synthetic scent, but still with a weird vetiver undertone, and also a drop of bitterly medicinal cough-syrup cherry flavouring. Not what I expected from pineapple.

The drydown I get from this is a really bizarre 'candied vetiver' scent, like that almost cherry-syrup sugar drizzled over dark green murky vetiver with a touch of dragon's blood, or something along those lines because this reminds me of Serpent's Kiss now.

Verdict: this one was a bit of a disappointment and a surprising one at that, since I love a lot of the lab's pineapple scents (Mi-Go, Shango). Considering how realistic and true most of the Lab's scents are, I was expecting fresh pineapple or pineapple juice, or even a coconut-less pina colada type scent, but what I got wasn't recognisably pineapple at all. My skin turned this scent into a weird mishmash of artificial 'tropical fruit' flavours like the things you find in those e-number filled kids' drinks or those jelly sweets, a strange mix of synthetic pineapple and banana and mango and some other indistinguishable fruits, with a spike of cherry cough syrup, and the most unusual thing of all, vetiver. Nothing like pineapple to me. it's odd since I definitely smell pineapple in scents which have this listed so I'm not sure why this note doesn't work on it's own. It's just a really weird, dissonant and artificial scent on me…I think I'll swap this off. Hopefully this reaction won't happen with any future pineapple scents that I try!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? no.

This is not what I expected. At first, this was sweet, syrupy pineapple fruit. There’s something else there though, it’s darker and deeper than I expected. There’s a note in there that’s almost indolic. I wonder if this blend shares something with the civet bouquet. In addition there’s a creaminess there too. this blend doesn’t last long, it’s been on barely 10 minutes and now I can barely smell it. What is there is sweet, slightly fruity.

I think fruit SN tend not to age well. It smelled like pineapple fruit/candy, slightly plasticky, slightly metally. It was more pineapple fruit in syrup than fresh pineapple.There was also a slight floral component to it on me. After about an hour, it was gone.

In the Vial: Strongly pineapple, though more of a candied or syrupy pineapple than a fresh pineapple. Quite delicious, very strong. Could easily smell it through a thick wrapping of plumber's tape.

Wet: Hairspray. No, seriously. The moment this touched my skin, it turned into straight up hairspray. Not sure how much of this is just fruit notes not aging well and how much is skin chemistry in action, but it does make me a bit more hesitant to try pineapple notes.

Dry: Has tinges of fruit scented hairspray up close. Further away, the throw is more creamy pineapple, but there's still a strong chemical undertone. Which kind of hurts my nose.

I'm glad I had the chance to try this, but it's just not at all for me. Which is really a good thing.