Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ipb

Port Royal Soap

PORT ROYAL SOAP
Spiced rum and ship's wood mixed with the body-warmed trace of a prostitute's perfume and a hint of salty sea air on the dry-down.

The soap: gunpowder-black clay, imported silk, and a thick crust of sea salt.

I have not yet tried my bar, as I got sick right after my bar arrived, and I'll edit this to update in a few hours - I'll be trying it out in the shower later today. But that said: oh my god, now that I can smell again, it smells so good in the package, even better than the perfume (which I didn't really care for the scent of). I can't wait to try it!

After I tried it? It's definitely a manly scent - one I think my fiancé (who is more a bar soap user than I am) will adore. As with the Embalming Fluid, it's very typical of Villainess' soaps - good lather, wonderful scent cloud. Some of the salt came off onto the washrag and made it a little more exfoliating, which was good for me (but if you're not into that, you can slice off the salt or be more careful in how you lather the soap), and washing clean. The only real note is that the dark soap did leave a dark residue on the shower shelf, but it quickly washed off (no staining).

Moisturizing is typical of the Villainess line, too - for a bar soap, fairly moisturizing. I have dry skin and used my normal moisturizing routine (in shower lotion and a thin layer afterwards) and haven't had problems.

I like it a lot, but the scent in the shower isn't one I really don't see myself using much. It does smell fabulous, but I prefer not smelling so manly in the shower.

This is looovely! I didn't find it particularly manly-to me it was more of a rich, warm unisex scent. Woody and rummy with just a teeeeensy touch of a cologney/perfumy scent.

This has a very luxurious, thick, creamy texture and lathers pretty well. I have had no problems with drying. My bar didn't really have much sea salt on it-I would have liked a bit more.

I would highly recommend this soap if you are a fan of the perfume or if you enjoy a slightly more masculine bar soap!

Port Royal Soap - The soap itself has a smooth, luxurious lather. I love Villainess soaps. However, this soap has no scent that I can find. This is my problem with many of Villainess' soaps -- they're so lightly scented that all I smell is soap base. This is definitely a bummer that I can't smell it at all, but I was half-expecting it since I've had that experience with many other Villainess soaps. I'll still finish the bar -- it works perfectl well for a soap, but I won't spend $8.50 again on a soap I can't smell. :(

I like this soap even more than I expected to!

Before use, the bar itself smells lightly of bay rum and spice. Most bay rum soaps I've used have been pretty overpowering, so this was nice and light in comparison. When using, there's a light whiff of perfume that tags along with the bay rum, keeping it unisex, rather than just MANLY, as bay rum can go.

Dry on the skin, the smell is light, with a salty edge; it reminds me strongly of how my skin feels and smells taking a quick water shower after swimming in the ocean. I could still smell a bit of the other scents right close to my skin, but it was not super-strong.

I have pretty hard water, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well this lathered up and lasted through my shower.

This soap was a disappointment for me and my husband. Port Royal is his favorite bpal oil to wear, but neither of us thought that this soap smelled like Port Royal. It mostly smells like a generic soap base scent. If I really focus on it, I can smell hints of something manly-cologne-like and maybe a hint of dry wood, but I would never recognize it as being Port Royal scented. It mostly just smells like soap.

As far as bar soaps go, I didn't find this to be as drying as bar soaps usually are to me, but it's not something that I'll buy again...

Dark and spicy for me, very mannish, but not quite as good as Xmlvzencab or Snake Oil; will use up the rest of the slice, but won't be going for a full bar. The salt's definitely unique, and some of the salt crystals may come off on you when you're using this, so be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Edited by Venneh

First of all, I don't know what this "thick crust of salt" is supposed to be. Mine had a light sprinkling that fell off while unwrapping the soap. Probably for the better, anyway.

I don't have an imp of Port Royal to compare to, so I can only speak for the soap. This is a bit of a masculine scent, but it's rich and perfect for a soap. In bar form, I smell a lot of ozone and salt, plus the whore's (hereafter: hoor's) perfume. It's very cologne-like, which I wouldn't like in a room scent, but for a soap, it's nice and clean.

In the shower, I smell a lot of dry, spicy wood and salt water, with a little bit of the hoors and rum. The spice element is mild and blends well, rather like actual spiced rum -- it's not like a holiday spice blend or anything.

Afterward, a sweeter scent lingers in the bathroom -- lots of rum, with some salt water and wood.

The scent is pretty strong and definitely stands out while in the shower, but I don't find that much scent lingers on my skin. My skin tends to be dry so I often avoid clay soaps, but it's summer and I can use all of the help against summer gunk that I can get. The bar has a nice, creamy texture and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry or tight at all.

In short, I think it's pretty great and I'm looking forward to trying more of Villainess' soaps. I'd definitely buy this one again. It's a great summer bar.

Aside from the fact that there was hardly any salt at all on the top of the soap, just a couple of small pieces, I have to say I really like this soap. It's not Shub...but then, what is Shub other than Shub? It's a nicer texture to me than Embalming Fluid and an even more appealing scent. I'd categorize it as unisex leaning toward the masculine side, nice bay rum, something a little woody, something a little perfumey and salty. It has a light, clean scent in the shower with no cling to the skin afterward. The lather is silky and luxurious, and there's something I really love about clay soaps, a richness and weight to them you just don't get with other soaps. The color is a beautiful dark gray-blue. So far with these soaps, I'm 3 for 3.

This is one of my favorite of the BPTP new soap bars. The salt, rum and wood form a rich, yummy unisex scent that appeals to everyone I've begged to sniff my soap! All the pink salt on top fell off when I got it in the shower, but that's ok. Soap wise this is great, silken, lathery and not drying. The perfume doesn't linger on my skin.

I received a sample of Port Royal soap in a forum purchase, and it's just amazing.

The soap itself is very much salty sea, and some sexy ladies dipping in it. I accidentally pressed my lip to it when I smelled it and now my upper lip smells of salt. I get a FAINT hint of the spiced rum if I inhale deeply- must be the ladies drank all the rum (Why is the rum gone? XD)

Since it's a pretty small piece of soap, I just chose to wash my hands with it, it has decent but not overwhelming silky ocean lather, and it leaves my skin pleasantly scented (SALTY SEA AIR with a bit of musk) and surprisingly moisturized.

I may have to break down and buy ALL THE SOAPS someday.

Port Royal super aged smells like the Villainess soap base and a whiff of the salty sea. It's not a very prominent smell, and just smells like a saltier Villainess soap. Great lather, great wear.