Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fairnymph

BTMEN

Rich amber-orange coloured oil. VIOLETS! Soft, clean, and only faintly powdery. Slightly sweet. Delicate, girlish, Victorian. A faint of whisper of white (I think) rose in the distance. It reminds me of the Violet Ray's drydown (though not at all the earlier stages), minus the mint. I also get light touches of white sandalwood and a soft musk (maybe vanilla musk) from this. I am alas, not a fan of violets, but this seem to be one of the nicer ones I've come across.

RE-REVIEW, with skin test:

Softly sweet violets and a little orris with maybe some other florals and an herbal edge? A soft, slightly candied and powdery scent. Delicate, feminine.

Sharper, sour, and much stronger and different on my skin. Some narcissus or mimosa - a sharp, plasticky floral, violet leaf as well as petal and root (orris), a slightly rotten floral note that I suspect is iris, and something spicy - some type of carnation note, I think, maybe the 'red' carnation note from Ysabel?

Increasingly powdery, definitely the sort of orris I can't handle. But I think there is something else here giving powder - could be the evil wisteria. And I'm getting a weird sort of minty/mentholic note. Also, I think there is some cinnamon (possibly the source of sweetness) in here, and I'm pretty sure about the red carnation note. There's a bit of soapiness...hmm! I think there is dragon's blood in this! Yes, definitely, that's the weird sweetness and plastic, since DB is fake cherry & lilac cheap air freshener.

Eeek. This has gone to dragon's blood scented nappies (diapers) with loads of orris-heavy floral powder, iris or possibly a jasmine, a sharply clove-ish spicy-plasticky red carnation note, and possibly a dash of cinnamon - this becomes more and more revolting and jumbled over time; all the notes clash in the worst way. It smelled fine in the bottle, but egads, it hates my skin! The throw is pretty strong, too - and it WON'T WASH OFF.

:ack: :ack: :ack:

NOTE: I mistakenly typed out the name of this scent. It's btmeN not btmeM as I originally thought. Apologies for any confusion - there is no BTMEM in existence, so any imps I've sent out with BTMEM are in fact this scent, BTMEN.

Edited by fairnymph

Violets, soft and powdery. I think there's vanilla musk, perhaps a touch of sandalwood. and maybe a touch of amber which adds to the sweetness and powderiness.

Hrmmmm I'm not getting anything vanilla here. I do get violets and amber and a touch of sandalwood. I'm also not getting anything musky either. It's very very pretty. I like this one alot.

Very perfumey powdery. Somewhat familiar, but I can't place it. I may just be thinking of baby powder, because that's mostly what I smell.. Sweet baby powder. Cloying and ugh.

Some scents must resent being bottled up, like pinioned djinn, because BTMEN came boiling up out of the vial like an olfactory trainwreck. This smelled so horrible I was afraid to test it, but I couldn't stop waving it in front of my nose. Something like dirty public toilets plus violet plus ?orris plus ?dragon's blood, or maybe even civet, that being the only note I know that goes this offensive.

When I screwed up the courage to dab some on a finger, it settled into this meek little violet-scented powder. I am neither fooled nor lulled. Off it goes.

Edited by bheansidhe

I love some of the other reviews for this, though they made me a bit scared to try this oil, lol. On me, this pretty much just smells like baby powder (which usually means bpal's amber or sandalwood notes). I can't even pick out violet exactly, though there's something sickly sweet and maybe floral underneath the dusty, powdery scent.

I need to talk about how this smells in the bottle, because it's SO WEIRD: like the indoor elephant exhibit at the zoo (wet hay, a little bit of bleach, and elephant butt), and a dollop of sour cream. 

On me, it smells like powdery floral. Violet has a specific powdery smell I like, but I don't like the rest of the powdery florals. In this case, it smells like the (orris?) powder note is overwhelming the violet, which is too bad. Maybe a little sandalwood in the background.

Lol, blech?

This was a frottle from the lab and when I came to the review page I was SHOCKED at how many people hate this!! On me, it's definitely powdery. A little floral, but something about it is almost astringent? It's no worse than say, seraphim or bayou to be completely honest. Not my most favourite treasured angel of a scent but definitely one I will still wear frequently. So surprised everyone else is a unanimous "NOPE". Maybe I just have wonk skin chemistry...

This is a frottle from the lab. It's labeled as a prototype.

BTMEN smells exactly like nostalgic Choward's violet candy to me. Even down to the powdery texture. When I press my nose to my wrist, I get a spicy, nose tickling milky carnation. It's kind of like if you added violets to Alice.

Reading the reviews in this thread feels like encountering long-term nuclear waste warning signage. But I like it! I can see it reading gothic and stately on the right person. Unfortunately I think my vibe is too bright and grandma-y to pull it off, and my skin doesn't seem to love violet.