Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
madame royale

BPAL and pregnancy

Everything coming out of my mouth at this point is just guessing, so don't take it for anything other than random musings, okay?

If the problem with essential oils during pregnancy is the absorption, then I would think if they're diluted with a carrier oil (which is how we're supposed to wear them, though I don't hear about many people doing it except with certain oils like cinnamon), it shouldn't be too big a problem, mostly because the amount of oil being used is so small. And I would guess that where you put it is important, too. Like if you use a progesterone cream, it's supposed to be most effective on your lower stomach or near reproductive organs. At least if I remember correctly. So if you used it on your wrists and backs of knees, maybe that wouldn't be as risky as your chest or stomach. I'm sure there are plenty of places that have real research, though. It seems like I saw a pregnancy and essential oils book at a nature store in the mall when I was pregnant. And it looked like there were quite a few that would be beneficial.

These are great links, but I thought that Beth used Perfume oils in her blends and not essential oils. Am I confused?

Hello-- I was wondering if anyone has used the scents while pregnant and if there is anything I should be concerned about ?

I'm a brand new user, so hopefully I have posted this question in the right spot.

Thanks!

I wouldn't let my husband wear Mad Hatter when I was pregnant- it has some pennyroyal in it, but it just plain out made me sick to smell it...Hearth was a problem at first as well.

For myself I was wearing just the lighter scents on the knees of my jeans during pregnancy. Now that I birthed, I pretty much wear it on the back of my neck and my elbows to keep babe from being overwhelmed.

For some of the smellies its been like trying them for the first time over again, because alot of the oils I got while pregnant weren't put directly on my skin- so my opinion of the oils then and now are different now that my skin chemistry comes into play.

Just wondering. I'm about six weeks along and I notice that my sense of smell (already pretty acute) is going NUTS. Anybody want to weigh in on this phenomenon? How did your chemistry change? Did you love stuff you couldn't ordinarily stand or vice versa?

ladyjulian aka theodicy

[merged with existing pregnancy thread]

Having never been pregnant, I can't really comment other than to say that it would make sense that your scent preferences change while you're pregnant...probably to accompany the typical food cravings, I would think. Also, it is often remarked that your skin changes while pregnant (for better or worse, that "glow"), so a chemistry shift would be innate, wouldn't it? :P

I don't really know for sure, but that does seem to follow logically.

well, there's tons of hormonal changes, so since scents react differently to different people, i'm sure it changes how they smell. and the sense of smell is generally sharper during pregnancy.

You also have the morning sickness triggers for the food scents. If a certain food triggers you to puke, then the scent of it probably will too.

Also, to me smells were stronger while I was pregnant, so everyone (including myself) would seem to wear "too much scent" by comparison. I could smell food anywhere in the office (you know that AOL commercial where the woman pops out and goes "I smell cake"? That was me.)

Well on top of just moving, closing on our house and now unpacking ( whimper) this last month we just found out we are expecting.

My So sure I was, since not one of my favorite scents smelt right and been so bloody tired. But I did not think so till me made me take a test friday.

So it looks like we are going to have a wee yule present.. :P

So I need to find out what is in London and well I know what is in Red Rose since they are the only ones that do not turn me :D for when I can wear these lovely scents.

mmm, bpal and pregnancy...close to my heart!

i'm 17 weeks pg right now and for the first 12 weeks i couldn't stand to wear bpal (or any perfume) :D everything turned my stomach (tho beth suggested embalming fluid yesterday, and it probably would have gone over pretty well). so, i just didn't wear perfume. after the first trimester i slowly started feeling scent was OK again, but wasn't moved to wear it.

yesterday i attended the ny/nj bpal gathering, and my lingering resistance to smellies faded :D i've put bpal on twice today already :P (another blend beth said was ok for pg- as others have mentioned, she did say to stay away from pain! and i've not worn spooky, either, for mint reasons).

i'll totally try spooky in my hair, tho!!

mmm, bpal and pregnancy...close to my heart!

i'm 17 weeks pg right now and for the first 12 weeks i couldn't stand to wear bpal (or any perfume) :P everything turned my stomach (tho beth suggested embalming fluid yesterday, and it probably would have gone over pretty well). so, i just didn't wear perfume. after the first trimester i slowly started feeling scent was OK again, but wasn't moved to wear it.

yesterday i attended the ny/nj bpal gathering, and my lingering resistance to smellies faded :D i've put bpal on twice today already  :D (another blend beth said was ok for pg- as others have mentioned, she did say to stay away from pain! and i've not worn spooky, either, for mint reasons).

i'll totally try spooky in my hair, tho!!

omg!! did you mention you were pregnant?? I must have missed that! Congrats! :D :D

hmm this upsets me a little I am 29 wks (with twins) and the scents that I have been flipping over are citrus and mint (mostly banshee I have been wearing). I have an ob/gyn appt today so I will ask...since I also like to use a lush body wash with mint. I never really thought about this but of course it makes so sense now that I think about it. Although I know nothing about what scents are good or bad. :P

Yea! More BPAL babies!!!

I thought it was the pennyroyal in Pain that should be avoided, not the mint. Peppermint, spearmint should be okay, unless they make your stomach lurch!

Yea! I'm so excited for you guys!

Looks like I'll be locking away the BPAL for the next few months too. Such a sacrifice, especially when I have FIVE orders on their way to me, but the little one is worth it. I don't want to take any chances, especially since I've had a miscarriage before.

For those who resumed using their lovely smellies after the first trimester, any particular recommendations?

Looks like I'll be locking away the BPAL for the next few months too.  Such a sacrifice, especially when I have FIVE orders on their way to me, but the little one is worth it.  I don't want to take any chances, especially since I've had a miscarriage before.

For those who resumed using their lovely smellies after the first trimester, any particular recommendations?

Yes, Dana O Shee. Dahling, it smells just like a sweet little babe. I'll bet Milk Moon would be wonderful. :P I missed it. I would try other oils carefully in little teeny dabs to see if they go wonky, irritate your skin or sinuses or upset your delicate tummy. I know in this thread we discussed oils which may be harmful. I seem to recall Pain being a blend which may not be safe.

Congrats on your pregnancy! May it be blessed!

Not so much for pregnancy sake, but my mom chided me yesterday for wearing Aeval because of the sage in it, as i'm still nursing my almost 20 month old daughter. Sage dries up your milk. I'd be worried, but for the fact wee bit is a boob leech and I haven't had any problems yet, but www.mothering.com lets you know what EOs are safe and I'd think if you had any fears you could email Beth and ask her personally  :P

"Boob leech" That's beautiful!!! :D

Sorry if I missed where this was located, but could someone direct me to the thread on bpal and pregnancy? I hope I don't have to stop wearing the lovely scents . And are there some oils to stay away from? I appreciate your guidance.

Edited by pywacket

Sorry if I missed where this was located, but could someone direct me to the thread on bpal and pregnancy? I hope I don't have to stop wearing the lovely scents . And are there some oils to stay away from? I appreciate your guidance.

Here: http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=6290

Oh, and pennyroyal is a definite no-no. If you have questions about specific blends you can email the lab and they're friendly and awesome staff will aims to please. :P

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

The other thing to consider is that your sense of smell will change during pregnancy, so approach all smells with caution.

Using them in scent lockets, or on a scented hankie, rather than on the skin, is a good idea. Using it diluted is safer, too

Within the context of using EOs and aromatherapy, EOs are highly concentrated, so err on the side of caution. That list above is pretty comprehensive, and there's some other good books on aromatherapy in pregnancy out there.

Here's a few more good links:

Using Perfume in Pregnancy

Essential Oils in Pregnancy

Aromatherapy of Pregnancy

~snip~

Within the context of using EOs and aromatherapy, EOs are highly concentrated, so err on the side of caution. That list above is pretty comprehensive, and there's some other good books on aromatherapy in pregnancy out there.

Thank you for the links and advice. I wrote the lab and they said to use nothing at all, which is very sad for me, since I've only recently gotten in to Bpal and already have a number of bottles I love. Of course, the lab needs to say to stay away from the oils since very few scientific studies have been presented about the impact of Eo on pregnancy--it would be legally prudent to do so. That didn't stop me from bursting into tears though. Of course immediate logical responses are not my strong suit currently.

This will be the second pregnancy for me, so I know some things that I loved recently might set off the nausea, but I'm hoping that won't be too extensive. I already know Loviatar is not a good idea, even though just couple of months ago (when enabled/introduced to Bpal by a friend) I loved it. Heh, perhaps steamy leather doesn't quite work for a nascent 2nd time madonna. :-)

I do have a scent locket on order and plan to do a lot of reading --after all this is at least new territory--one can only read "What to Expect" and the rest of those books so many times. I also spent many years as an actor at Ren Faire and knew many women who scented themselves with Essential Oils all through pregnancy so there is some hope.

Oh the irony of this--I haven't even gotten my very first order from the lab yet. I've been reading their website for about 2 years and only recently got the courage to order. As soon as I did, some friends enabled me and pointed me at the Live Journal communities where I was able to stock up quickly. I've even got some LE's! already.

Oh heavy sigh.

Thank you all again.

If you're not applying to the skin, there's little risk of toxicity to the fetus, except in that list of specifically contraindicated oils.

You can go the a fabric or craft store and get a square of felt, cut it into little 1/2 inch squares, and assign each square an oil. Then dab the oil on that square, and carry it around with you for an hour or so. If you feel at all uncomfortable, lightheaded or headachy, then you can put that square aside, and note that that scent has adverse effects on you. Only test one scent a day like this though, so you don't overwhelm your senses.