Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, fir needle, pitch, rosemary, and tomato.

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Green and herbal and fresh! I don't get any of the buttery note that pumpkin usually registers as, but I get everything else, and some mint that adds a bit of sweetness. Shockingly lovely.

Wet: A little more rosemary and a bit more pitch (now it has a resiny sort of base), but still loads of tomato leaf and sweet spearmint and fir leading the way. I do get maybe a suggestion of raw pumpkin flesh, but it could be my imagination. I would never have guessed this to be a PP blend.

Dry: So fresh and green! This is not morphing on me, other than all the notes blending together beautifully, integrating fully. I find this invigorating, mood-lifting - like it could be a Panacea blend, used therapeutically. It's both very outdoorsy and very wearable.

Later: It has gone the teensiest bit soapy, and the fir is a tiny bit potpourri-ish, but otherwise this morphs very little and remains lovely as well as totally unique from any other BPAL blend I've tested.

Summary: Spearmint, tomato leaf, and rosemary with a hint of depth from the pine pitch and a bit of soapy sweetness from the fir. Unisex, though probably ideal for a man. Good throw and longevity.

:heart: I want a bottle!

Yum yum yum! For me, I get this giant blast of green. I really get the tomato out of this, and hints of rosemary and perhaps a touch of fir, but overall this is green green green. I would not have pegged this for a pumpkin blend.

By far the best Weenie I've tried this year.

I usually get too much pumpkin out of the pumpkin patch (I know, what did I expect?) but this is a pretty good mixed up scent :) Rich, buttery pumpkin and a dose of fir at first. Then the tomato leaf comes in and sticks around much better than in Jersey Devil, the only blend I can remember with tomato leaf. I think Planting Moon had it too, but this is sweeter and more dessert-ish.

I was a little worried about the rosemary and tomato--I can't stand rosemary in food--but since my skin amps sweet stuff and the pumpkin is the sweetest note in here, turns out I didn't have to worry after all ;) It's like sitting outdoors in a pumpkin patch on a crisp fall day eating a slice of pumpkin pie; there's enough foody goodness in here to balance the sharpness of the rosemary and tomato, and the pitch adds nice depth. This one is strong, so unless you want to be a walking human pumpkin patch, just a dab will do ya!

Wet this is pumpkin and herbal tomato. It's almost like a gentleman's cologne. When first on this is fresh, crisp tomato leaf mixed with buttery pumpkin, like an autumn garden. After a couple of hours this has really softened. The tomato has really faded and leaving a lightly sweet pumpkin. It doesn't change much more after that. This is nice but I was hoping for a stronger tomato note.

A wee, meek whiff of butter, and then spicy leaves like whoa. Lots of tomato leaf and rosemary to this one, with maybe a touch of mint. Actually, now that I think of it, this is a lot like going down to the garden to get your pumpkin -- there are lots of stems and vines and leaves covered with that strange, horny sort of velvet that tomato leaves have, all dotted with this morning's rain. Definitely a fun change.

In bottle: buttery pumpkin

Wet: fir and tomato with a touch of rosemary

Drydown: pumpkin is barely there, mostly under botanicals.

Later: Very clean, botanical scent. Fir and rosemary dominate. Autumn scent for sure. Very light, will have to slather this one.

In the decant: Hm. Not smelling much pumpkin here (or at least not the buttery pumpkin note I think of in Jack). A dry, woody, dirty smell predominates - the pitch or the fir needles? - backed by a sort of vegetable note - it makes me think of the dusty smell of carrots or parsnips.

On my skin, wet: The rosemary starts to come out, and the vegetable note becomes more prominent. It reminds me a little of Aizen-Myoo, which I'm guessing is the persimmon note in that matching up with the tomato note in here. I agree with whoever called this a fall garden smell.

On my skin, dry: This dries down very fast, and doesn't seem to change much in the process, although the rosemary fades a bit. I can see where this does turn an eensy bit soapy, as other reviewers noted, but it never fully becomes so.

Overall, I appreciate the uniqueness of this blend, and I can see myself getting some seasonal use out of it. It's a keeper!

Edited by CaptainEcchi

I first tried this back in October or November. I remember putting this on this right after getting my decant in the mail, and refrained from washing it off immediately only because I was on my way to work. One way to do perfume seems to be to take elements with similar qualities and blend them together. Other kinds of perfume seem to be about how disparate notes play off against each other. Pumpkin III seems squarely in the latter category. Wet, I could almost see the notes as separate squares of color. One was a screeching block of lime green, sharp and disinfectant-smelling. The "pumpkin" square was orange, a nauseatingly sweet sugar candy and butter smell. They were both highly unpleasant and seemed to want to have nothing to do with each other. As the perfume dried, however, it started blending in the most surprising way. It was like each square broke down and became smaller and smaller pixels until they merged into a shimmering, creamy green. After about 45 minutes, the blend was herbal, sweet, and absolutely delicious.

Because the first half hour was so very unpleasant, I avoided wearing it for a while, but kept it in hopes that aging would help it get to that blended stage faster. I tried it again, and it has changed, but not quite how I expected. Wet, this is all unbelievably fresh, tangy tomato leaf. The cloying pumpkin note is not apparent at all. As it dries down, the tomato leaf note stays strong. About three hours in, it softens and sweetens up some. It's not exactly how I remember the blended stage of the first test - less sweet and creamy, but still incredibly green, lively, and delicious. During a New England March, when you're not sure if you'll ever see a growing garden again, this could not be more welcome.

This is the first pumpkin scent that I got to test on skin. And it's strange, I've sniffed a couple of pumpkin decants and I never expected one of them to smell fresh. This one does.

This is too foody for me, but I kind of like it. I like that pine freshness that I get at later stages, very interesting and it keeps this scent from being too sweet and all foody. Still, not something I could wear.

Edited by milica

Wet: earthy pumpkin with fuzzy tomato and fir

Dry: the pumpkin wears off a bit and tomato becomes stronger. I can smell a touch of rosemary too. Think this was giving the fuzzy vine tomato feeling when wet.

This is the first of BPAL's pumpkin scent I've tried, really wanted to like this one but unfortunately I haven't had such a great experience with it.

In the bottle: Woah. This is a little bit frightening, the tomato really hits you in the face. Along with something sharp, sweet and almost herbal and fruity.

Wet: Probably shouldn't have tried this on first thing in the morning, it's making me feel a little woozy. My skin seems to be amping the tomato and rosemary like crazy, this is very sharp/tangy and I can't really smell any pumpkin at all, I'm still getting that odd fruitiness.

Drydown: It's losing a little of the sharpness, and I'm getting some fir and a sort of vegatble note creeping through now, just want the tomato to back down a little bit.

Later on: Thankfully this one has mellowed out quite alot. The smell is totally reminiscent of a garden with tomato and fruit trees. There's fir and botanical notes in the background and I think the pumpkin is timidly lurking in the background.

Overall, this is a very unique blend, I was expecting to smell more pumpkin and less of a strange, tangy fruity smell. But after the scary drydown this isn't too bad, very much a garden scent.

A morpher! I haven't gotten a lot of those lately. The smell of juicy tomato mingled with pumpkin is very obvious in the imp. Several others have mentioned a "garden" sense in this blend; it's definitely there, especially when wet on my skin when the rosemary is more obvious. On the drydown, though, it's much more forest than garden-- there's the needle and pitch kicking in.

Not my kind of perfume, but I highly recommend this one to people who like green scents beyond grass and flowers.