Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ondine

PL81

My strongest scent impression on this one is "grassy field." But not a strong grass note like in Blade of Grass; more of a lighter, hay-type note. It doesn't go to floral on me at all; it stays like standing in a field in early summer and breathing in the air around you.

(The other way it could go, after seeing someone post her impression of it as "winter without the coldness," would be "Christmas shop." You know, like places that are open year-round and sell Christmas decorations and other things? I don't get pine though and on me, it's definitely more of a warm scent than a cool one, thus the summer field feeling that's so strong to me.)

Edited by Ondine

PL81 - Sniffed wet in the bottle, this smells like a winter-forest scent -- cold air, evergreens, and musk. Once it's on my skin, the musk takes over the entire blend, and becomes very, very strong. It's a furry, animalistic, sweet musk. It makes me think of snuggling under a big, fur blanket while trying to stay warm. The sweet, fuzzy musk dominates the blend for a good 4-5 hours. At around the 5-hour point, the musk has faded enough that the other notes are evident again, and now I smell fir trees and crisp, cold air. Especially during the last several hours of the blend, while the musk is more subtle, this blend makes me think of Narnia, and snuggling under a fur blanket as you're pulled on a sleigh through the cold forest for hours on end. It's really lovely during the last half of the wear time, but during the first half, that heavy, animalistic musk is not pleasant to me at all. I wish I could get the second half of the scent experience without going through the heavy-musk experience of the first half of the wear time. This scent has amazing throw, and the scent wafts around me all day long. People who like Buck Moon and winter blends would potentially really enjoy this one.

Cold evergreens and a lot of musk. The musk isn't sweet on me though, it actually smells pretty dirty. It smells like there's probably an anise note in here also. The evergreen is really in the background and barely detectable. I get the comparison to Buck Moon. This is mostly dirty furry animal musk.

Wintergreen and animal musk. It dries to a nice, furry scent. In some ways, it reminds me to Papow. Except, less sunshine and more cold winter. It's a little soapy on the drydown.

Sweet, vanillic, but also smoky-resiny. Sophisticated and a little mysterious.

Much sweeter, almost fruity, on my skin. Definitely vanilla but also a deeper more syrupy note, like honey or more likely,benzoin. Or maybe some beeswax? I do get a bit of 'candle smoke' that reminds me of the note in Gypsy Queen. Also, some more smoky-woody-sweet note, I think frankincense.

Fruitier and fruitier, almost candied! Still that sort of syrupy, or maybe hard candy sort of note. It reminds me of a certain flavour Jolly Rancher (green apple maybe?!), over frankincense/benzoin base, and while that sounds like an odd combination, it sort of works. Less vanilla - I think now that it was the early stage benzoin that came across vanillic initially.

Maybe the fruit is fig? The sweet fig note of Carnal, not the dry dusty fig note. Dry down is sweet, almost juicy, candied fruit over a smoky frankincense-heavy resin base. Really interesting, but not quite my style. Lower throw, moderate longevity.

Separation-prone oil. First sniff unexpectedly reminds me of Spider, though the drydown is nothing like it. Maybe a hint of ambergris - there's something earthy-oceany about it - and … what makes Spider Spider? There's a peppery, grounding, masculine sexiness to this. It's between YAR7 and Spider, with a hit of pepper to boost it up. Hot, sexy man-smell, honestly. HOT. Wood notes, too. not something I'd wear, but if you've got a dude to put it on, prepare to start fanning yourself. A spicy smokiness comes out as it dries. A lot of smokiness, actually. Somehow, this reminds me of a masculine, faintly aquatic addition to the Shunga line.

I guess my nose is broken! From this scent first I get lime (what is it with me? all of the protos I have been testing sing lime to me!) and musk. As it dries, a white floral appears; soft, gentle. Also lurking underneath a slight whisper of benzoin or mint; which, I cannot discern. I keep sniffing to see what other hidden treasures lay within.

There's something a bit aquatic in here and I was expecting this one to go cologney-soap based on my sniff from the vial. It does have a little of that in there on my skin, but mostly it goes sort of golden and sunny, and reminds me a lot of a NA scent... Halcyon, I think, which was Coriander, Lavender, Vanilla, Heliotrope, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Caramel, Bergamot, so one or more of those notes perhaps. I get hints of a floral, and some fruit for a little while. It might have just a touch of hay.

I wasn't quite sure what I was smelling, so I read reviews and then reapplied a little bit over the same spot, and yes, I do get a cold evergreen, but it was kind of getting lost in the slightly soapy aquatic notes this begins with. The reapplication seems to have made those stronger, as well. There might be musk in here too, that could be soaping on me as well.

This is an odd and interesting scent. Ultimately the soapy-aquatic makes it not for me, but for a scent with an aquatic note in it, it's not that bad really; those usually do not play well on me at all. It's a bit foresty outdoorsy, and it seems more sunny and gold to me than chilly, but I do get just a whisper of cold evergreen, as though it's one of the last hurrah warm days in late fall, where your skin is warm but winter is on the wind, and the sunlight is pale gold. It starts quite aquatic but dries down more musky foresty, and I vastly prefer the end to the beginning.