Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GreenSpine

Creature Feature

Giant Monster Musk!

In vial: soft, green, creamy and powdery - very nice!

Wet on skin: a lot like Hunter Moon, only greener and less complex. A dark green forest and a warm powdery musk, with a barely detectable hint of cakey vanilla. Unisex. The initial sweetness fades as it dries and my MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! turns into a meh ... The musk is now slightly bitter.

Dry on skin: at first I find this too dry and manly for my taste. However, after a while I find the smell quite enjoyable after all. It ends up as a warm, old lady musk.

2nd wearing (and please note that I didn't even wait 24 hours, but felt compelled to try it again!): this time I just dabbed a tiny drop on each shoulder and was surrounded by a warm, powdery, old-fashioned musky cloud! I'm quite sure there's amber in here too. I liked it much better today.

3rd wearing: THIS IS SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!

Like most here , this really isn't what I expected . But I do like it quite a bit . I have no experience with Hunter moon , but this does remind me of something else I do have a bottle of . It's quite a bit like Tokyo Stomp , but with the mint tuned down a lot . There is something that is a l m o s t minty in here , & I swear there is vanilla in there too . I do love all things musky , and in Creature Feature I think the musks are tied to the other notes quite nicely . I think I'll be checking more deeply into the DD scents B)

In decant, an almost overwhelming sweetness. Wet, there is a wall of musk, very perfumey. It actually smells nicer than I thought it would. I was thinking this would be downright repulsive. Instead, it dries down to something light and pleasant. Others have mentioned a hint of green here and I agree. I’m not a huge musk fan, so probably won’t get a bottle of this, but I will use up this decant.

This is definitely a green scent, and the musk is just a bit powdery like old Smut or B.B3.

Once it started to dry, though, I think the powdery-ness isn't the musk, I'm pretty sure it's amber. Sadly, amber hates me, and has turned this into a powder scent. Not baby powder of doom, but not my idea of smelling fantastic, either. Glad I got a tester of this before I bought a whole bottle. <_<

A little dab'll do ya, for sure... this stuff is honkin' powerful!!

In the imp, MUSK!

Wet, MUSK!!

On drydown, MUSKY MUSK!!!

Did I mention that the main thing in this is MUSK? I had to wash some of it off- it is that clingy and strong. (interesting dichotomy, that)

I remind myself of me 40 years ago when musk was all the rage. How did anyone stand being around me? I can taste this stuff... it's SUPERMUSK!!!

I have a confession to make, which is that after all this time sniffing and testing BPAL, I honestly still did not know what musk smells like. But I think I've finally pinned it down. XD This is musk and herbal, definitely. Green musk. The musk reminds me of my beloved Buck Moon (so I had an idea of what musk smelled like, yeah, but this is the confirmation!) and then there's added greenery on top. I like the musk, but the green/herbs/thingie sharpens it and makes it a stronger blend of this type than I'd like to wear; I prefer my musks to be really subtle and soft (again, like Buck Moon). This is like that smell/feeling amplified just a bit higher than I enjoy. The herbalness gives it almost a slight, vague medicinal quality. It reminds me of . . . lip balm? Weird.

I notice that while my initial reaction was "hnnngh I dunno," though, I keep going back to sniff it some more, which is often what happens to me with blends that end up being favorites of mine; I'll dislike them for a few minutes and then feel compelled to sniff and retest again and again (Hod, Asp Viper, Buck Moon). Now I am noticing the vanilla that someone else mentioned, and it's cutting the herbal/balmness of this a bit in a way that's sort of nice. Now I'm undecided about this. I think I'll be retesting it again soon. Creamy vanilla, musty musk, and sharp herbal--it's a weird but not exactly unpleasant combination.

This smells so freakin' wonderful that I was able to let all my beloved Ivanushka go in place of it. They are similar in the musk sense but where Ivanushka had that pickled note, Creature Feature has that rounded-tangy citrus thing going on. I'm detecting something similar to Lilith vs. Giant Crab and I think it's the tangerine. LvsGC is very light and wispy where CF is more like a concentrated and compressed version of it. There's a fruity and very light candied aspect to this musk and I just adore it. Now that I've seem Monsters vs Aliens, considering this is 'Giant Monster Musk', I'd say this suits Insectosaurus perfectly, after her metamorphisis. Playful musk with colors! :wub2:

Creature Feature - This is an AWESOME scent! I avoided it because a lot of musks scare me, but whatever this one is, it's awesome. It reminds me of the soft, velvety musk from Faunalia. It's soft, fuzzy, slightly (just barely) powdery, and warm. There are definitely resins in this blend, too, but I can't identify which ones...all I know is they're the darker, woodier, grittier types of resins...perhaps amber? All I know is this is a freaking GORGEOUS blend and it has a really nice level of throw and lasts on the skin for ages. I really love it. I may have to get a bottle.

LOL, this is horrible and I actually feel bad saying this, but Creature Feature reminds me of the flea collars we used to put on our pets when I was a kid. It's pretty much the only thing I can think of when I smell this oil. Which is sad, because I love musks and really wanted to love this bottle!

This smells like lime and a sharp, acrid musk on my skin. Monster musk does not like me! In the bottle and on my brother, however, it's a really unique "cool" musk, if that makes sense.

Origin:

5mL bought on LiveJournal.

Preconceived notions:

I've been thinking about trying Creature Feature for quite a while now. There was a point where I didn't like musk scents at all. Sometime during my BPAL hiatus, that changed drastically and now I love musk scents, as long as they don't go powdery or pungent on me.

I've seen comparisons of Creature Feature to Ivanushka (which I love), so I'm I get something similar. I'd also love to get the resins that other people have mentioned. But the idea of there being lime in this scares me a bit. I don't like citrus scents at all and lime heads the list of "do not want" citrus notes. So I'm not sure which way this one's going to go, hence the reason I've been putting off trying it.

First sniff:

Creamy musk (it does remind me of Ivanushka; Raven Moon, too, for some reason) with...lime. Definitely lime to my nose. It's got an green juiciness to it on top of all that beautiful musk. This isn't a good start.

Wet on skin:

A bit of lime, but mainly creamy musk. I also get a little bit of what could very well be resins. They're soft and subtle but I love the effect they add to the musk. Now if the lime would just disappear everything would be great.

Dry down:

The lime's gone! It takes a while, but it does disappear on me and I'm left with gorgeous Ivanushka-esque musk mixed with what definitely seems to be smooth resins of some sort. It's almost velvety smelling, like Ivanushka and Raven Moon, and I'm loving it.

The bottom line:

If I had more space in my favorites box or didn't already have Ivanushka and Raven Moon in it, Creature Feature would be finding a new home in it. I love this one in spite of the touch-and-go lime stage. The drydown is beautiful. :heart:

A sweet, resiny musk. Not very monstrous at all. Quite pretty, actually. It's not a masculine musk -- very wearable for both women and men, I think. It's just a touch powdery (amber in there, maybe?), but it's soft and sweet. I like it.

What more can be said about musk? This is definitely musky--I couldn't say which musks, though. Green? White? Goes on musky, stays musky, and then goes a little powdery. After I put this on, I got quite a headache, and I don't know if it's because of Creature Feature or because I've been sifting and sniffing BPAL for two days now. :( I don't think it matters, though, because I don't think Creature Feature is my type of scent anyway. I'd probably like it paired with food/fruit, but on its own, I don't think I'd wear it often (evidenced by the fact that it took me a couple of months to even try it on).

Giant monster musk? Cutesy, cuddly fuzzy musk!

At least that's what I get out of this.

It's not red musk or white musk actually it has that bit of lemon that black musk has when it's fresh. There might also be some amber in this. Very smooth and pretty.

Strong musk with something rather citrus-y layered over it. Pretty sharp in the vial, smooths out on the skin. Creature Feature is not at all femme, I’d say this is unisex with a touch of masculinity.

This is the shortest review I’ve written so far, but I can’t pick out a lot of different notes in this.

i remember being underwhelmed by Creature Feature when it first arrived long ago, but now that it has aged I LIKE IT. it's just a great big pile of wonderful wonderful bpal musks. no red or white musk to my nose but definitely black musk (it sort of reminds me of haunted, where the black musk dominates the amber for me) and i think maybe the nice cuddly musk that is in ivanushka. this is not giant or monstrous, it's warm and cuddly. i want to snuggle this gigantic radioactive monster. super wearable on its own but could also be very nice as a layering scent for blends that could use a touch of warm musky goodness.

On me, this is a clean musk, akin to skin musk, but without the lemony undertone I dislike. Maybe it's closer to a green musk? It's a very soft, somewhat powdery, sweet, clean smelling musk. Very much a "my skin but better" type scent. I like it, but I don't love it enough to seek out a bottle. Glad to have tried it though!