Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cinnamonster

Advice on Gaiman scents please

I thought I would start thinking about my next order last night and focus on all the Gaiman stuff. Once I started reading reviews, so many of the notes are just an instant turn off to me, being things maybe you don't want to wear outside as a perfume, and the ones I did like, had either reviewers saying there was a strong dust note, or even worse, aquatics, which just make me feel ill.

Anyone else got the aquatic hatred but can reccomend one that might work. I have Trist(r?)an, and Fairy Market, bot of which are good, but I want to try more! I so love the descriptions for them all. Famine sounds perfect for me, until people started saying vomit..

I don't think Famine smells like vomit in any way, shape or form. It's a smoky black tea scent, very sexy. You're always taking a gamble on skin chemistry, but it looks like it's just a handful of people that have mentioned that odd morphing quality in their reviews.

Off the top of my head... I got some aquatic notes from The Macabray and Stormhold, Spider is a clean scent that could almost be aquatic to some noses.

What notes do you love?

Pepper!

She starts off gorgeous and spicy (slightly foodie), then fades down to vanilla/honey/pink pepper/rose. you have to let her age a bit tho, because for the first month or two it fades down so I can hardly smell it.

Victoria is a very soft, feminine floral with a touch of vanilla. And it's a totally wearable scent. It's quite pretty, I've got a bottle of it and want another because it's so very nice. :wub2:

Two of my favorite Gaiman scents are also two of my favorite scents in the whole catalog: Mr. Jacquel and Crowley. The listed notes are: golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices (Jacquel) and infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk (Crowley). They're not terribly similar, but they are both warm and resiny/spicy. If that's your thing (as it might be, based on your forum handle!), you may very well enjoy either, or both.

My favorite Gaiman scents are:

Mama-ji (Spices, cardamom, nutmeg, and flowers.)

The Ifrit (Desert sand, red musk, blackened ginger, dragon's blood resin, black pepper, cinnamon, and tobacco.)

Ligur (Dry olibanum, black moss, soggy ti, khus, and opoponax.)

I can't deal with aquatics and fruit, so that cuts out a lot of the Gaiman scents for me. But I love the above scents. The Ifrit is the only bottle that I've bought without getting a tester first and it was exactly as I imagined it.

Victoria is a very soft, feminine floral with a touch of vanilla. And it's a totally wearable scent. It's quite pretty, I've got a bottle of it and want another because it's so very nice. :wub2:

I'll second the Victoria recommendation. I've used up my decant and I've just ordered a bottle of it tonight.

I'm not really into aquatics either (they always smell like a man's deodorant to me) and Victoria defeinitely doesn't have any aquatics about it.

It's a very simple floral scent. To me it's very lily and no rose (which is a good thing as BPAL's rose note almost always goes funky on me). It smells a lot like something you'd find in Crabtree and Evelyn so it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't into smelling like a girly girl but I love it and it's, so far, the only floral that I've really liked (Rose Red was OK I suppose).

What are some of the notes that you're seeing that you don't like at all? Like, which are the "instant turn-off" ones that keep you from being interested? I think it might be easier to make suggestions after knowing some of the things aside from aquatics that you aren't a fan of.

What are some of the notes that you're seeing that you don't like at all? Like, which are the "instant turn-off" ones that keep you from being interested? I think it might be easier to make suggestions after knowing some of the things aside from aquatics that you aren't a fan of.

Okay, highlights on dodgy bits!

Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk- is the musk black musk?? because that is HORRID on me.

Sleek black tea, tobacco leaf, frankincense, lilac, and white musk - worry the tea will be white rabbit tea.

Camellia, jasmine, heather, orange blossom, osmanthus, wisteria, thyme, angelica, freesia, granny's nightcap, and English wildflowers.

Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey(sweat worry!), blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

Roll-ups, mildewed raincoat, sweet tea, and condensed milk.

Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks.

Like this in theory but scared of dust:Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

Like the sound of this also but the aquatics thing...Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

I guess I don't really want to smell of dark patchouli, black musk,mildew,or anything super masculine in a seventies way, and I don't much like fruits (esp pear, apple), honey can turn to sweat, I really hate aquatics, some note in white rabbit I smell in most aquatics also, and I really really don't like DRagons Blood...ick, or rum, or whiskey, and vetiver.

This how I feel about vetiver, or more, how much vetiver loves me and won't leave me alone

"I AM VETIVER, JOLLY GOOD TO MEET YOU, FANTASTIC DRESS" he shouts in a public school accent as he looms over you enthusiastically pumping your hand up and down and does't let go as he chuckles and guffaws at the thrill of meeting you, puffing his chest out as you cringe and try to make your excuses to leave, but he slaps you on the back with good cheer and offers you a drink as he steers you towards the bar.

Man I'm hard to please huh.

ETA: Thanks everyone for suggestions. Oh and if Vetiver smelt like a book character, it would be Bunny from The Secret History by Donna Tartt, it just came to me, I knew I was thinking of someone!

Edited by cinnamonmel

Jasmine Cottage I've tried, though it was very early in my BPAL experience, so I can't say how much jasmine there is compared to other stuff, since I no longer have the imp. Here are my notes: Clean, light, green, only very lightly floral. Very similar in feel to Anubis, which is less floral.

For me with Nanny Ashtoreth, the honey was not a strong component at all, and it is sometimes a problem scent for me. From my notes: Warm woods are the most prominent scents, in the same family as Antikythera Mechanism (sweet woods). Less sweet more woody than Antikythera Mechanism, and I preferred A.M.

Mr. Ibis had a men's cologne feeling for me which wasn't bad yet I also am not sure I'll wear it.

(As an aside, there's something I hate in many aquatics too. Like, HATE!!11!!11!. And White Rabbit was among the worst, I was flabbergasted, and disappointed. I blame it on the "linen" though, not the tea.)

My faves from the Gaimans are Miss Lupescu & The Lady on the Grey.

Edited by sqwook

Hey cinnamonmel :) my two cents on the Gaimans:

I'm one of the people Famine goes really bad on, but its because my skin hates lilac, so if yours doesn't mind the lilac note, you should be fine! (I wish I wish I wish Famine worked! - I'm constantly retrying it hoping it will be better on me with age.)

Consider giving Shadwell a chance despite the mildew - I never smell mildew, just rich, glorious, sweet leather and tobacco with cream. Freaking awesome scent.

I also wanted to plug Ligur, Mr. Nancy, Crowley and Mr. Jacquel. Tristran is sexy as hell and Fairy Market is lovely. Aziraphale was a lighter masculine musk/wood if that helps.

The hard part with alot of the Gaimans is that many of them didn't work the way I expected but became my favorites anyway. Good luck :D

Oh, I can't touch vetiver either - it amps like crazy on my skin to the exclusion of everything else. The one Gaiman I recall having a strong vetiver note was Stormhold, which also had some aquatic-ozoney qualities. So you should probably put that one on your never-never list.

I don't find any one note in Jasmine Cottage to be dominant and I was worried about some of them, too. It is more of a green, outdoorsy wildflower blend.

I had the same experience as sqwook with Mr. Ibis, which made me sad! I have smelled it on other women and it's gorgeous, many reviews say the same. And there was also a little something in Mr. Jacquel that my skin took into men's cologne territory, but it's beautiful both in the bottle and on lots of other people :lol:

Have you considered getting an imp pack from the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund? That's what I did, and it's a good way to check out a wide variety without having to buy the big bottles. As for what is good, I'm not sure I can help you much as my standards are probably very different.

I would definitely recommend Bilquis, lovely comfortable scent, not unwearable, but interesting enough to make it stand out from the rest of your collection. My other favorite is Mad Sweeney, which you'll definitely want to avoid, I can't imagine anyone but me wanting to wear that out, and you probably wouldn't even enjoy it. Mama-Ji is one that everyone should at least try, very nice and bold. Of the rest, the only one that I could perhaps recommend is Mr. Nancy. Though, I have not tried anything from outside what is offered in the imp pack, so I cannot speak for anything else.

Not certain my picks will be any help, those are just what I like, and I'm not good at figuring out what will work on other people. I'd recommend just being adventurous, and getting the imp pack if possible, so you can be adventurous for as little money as possible.

Aziraphale: Extremely light. It's a nice, unisex scent, woodsy and musky and clean.

Crowley: The first BPAL scent I tried, and it's still one of my favorites! :D The musk sounds scarier than it is, I promise. I could smell the leather, and the floral, and something like cedar. It's masculine, but a woman could easily wear it. This one, even though you wouldn't think it, is also a very clean scent.

Mad Sweeney: If you're not a fan of booze, you will not like this scent at all. I have an imp of it and would wear it on certain occasions... but not often, because I smell like I've had a questionable meeting with someone in the back of an Irish pub.

Mr. Nancy: This is foody in the best way possible. Sugar cookies and citrus.

I agree with you completely on the vetiver comments. It's like... wow, you'd be so nice on someone else, but that someone is not me! And then I run from it as quickly as I can.

Thanks so much for all the effort you all put into this for me. I think I am going to chance Famine, as I like lilac, and Shadwell. I think! I'll let you know how I go.

sqwook, I think you and I have similar chemistry issues :)

Have you considered getting an imp pack from the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund? That's what I did, and it's a good way to check out a wide variety without having to buy the big bottles. As for what is good, I'm not sure I can help you much as my standards are probably very different.

Oooooh! I didn't know you could do that! Thanks! I've just put in an order. :joy: There should be an Enablement Warning on this thread *giggle*. I'm so glad I popped in.

And as for the OP's original question, the only one I hace so far is Mr. Nancy, which someone frimped a sniffy of to me, and I immediately ordered two bottles (one for me, one for the boyfriend). It is a wonderment of rum, cookies and lime that when fresh smells a bit like pancake syrup, but dries down into soft, sweet tobacco goodness. Mmmmmmmm! It's one of my favorite BPALs. (I think the syrup tones down with age, as the sniffy seemed old and had more of a lime kick than syrup sweetness, but I like both.)

Edited by mparker

I joined a decant circle for a lot of the Gaiman scents for many of the same reasons - several scents they had simply don't sound appealing. I was surprised that Tristran was fairly good on me (and you mentioned being concerned about dust, but I didn't get dust from this really) and discovered that Crowley isn't fond of me, really, but is very, VERY enamored of my husband.

You may be able to find a decant circle going if you wanted to try a couple without committing to a bottle, or get the imp pack Twitch mentioned. :)

Edited to add link to LJ decant circle: http://community.livejournal.com/bpalmarke...ce/2661531.html

This is NOT my decant circle and I can't vouch for the seller one way or another, but it's a thought!

Edited by ephemera

"I AM VETIVER, JOLLY GOOD TO MEET YOU, FANTASTIC DRESS" he shouts in a public school accent as he looms over you enthusiastically pumping your hand up and down and does't let go as he chuckles and guffaws at the thrill of meeting you, puffing his chest out as you cringe and try to make your excuses to leave, but he slaps you on the back with good cheer and offers you a drink as he steers you towards the bar.

ETA: Thanks everyone for suggestions. Oh and if Vetiver smelt like a book character, it would be Bunny from The Secret History by Donna Tartt, it just came to me, I knew I was thinking of someone!

AWESOME. :wub2: Vetiver doesn't do this to me but I love your analogy. The Secret History is a an amazing book that I make everyone I know read. My Bunny is caramel.

Shadwell's raincoat was all coconut to me. I'm glad you started this thread as I am not a fan of aquatics either.

Okay, highlights on dodgy bits!

Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk- is the musk black musk?? because that is HORRID on me.

Sleek black tea, tobacco leaf, frankincense, lilac, and white musk - worry the tea will be white rabbit tea.

Camellia, jasmine, heather, orange blossom, osmanthus, wisteria, thyme, angelica, freesia, granny's nightcap, and English wildflowers.

Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey(sweat worry!), blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks.

Like this in theory but scared of dust:Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

Like the sound of this also but the aquatics thing...Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

I guess I don't really want to smell of dark patchouli, black musk,mildew,or anything super masculine in a seventies way, and I don't much like fruits (esp pear, apple), honey can turn to sweat, I really hate aquatics, some note in white rabbit I smell in most aquatics also, and I really really don't like DRagons Blood...ick, or rum, or whiskey, and vetiver.

This how I feel about vetiver, or more, how much vetiver loves me and won't leave me alone

Jasmine Cottage - this was JASMINE on me. Soapy/strong floral. I was really sad because of all the other awesome notes, but the jasmine totally ruined this for me.

Nanny Ashtoreth - I got almost NO honey, like 1%. I love honey and amp it so I was sad. NA on me is like 95% De Sade-type leather, 4% wood, and 1% honey.

Aziraphale - very very unisex, and not dusty at all. I HATE dust. Also not aquatic.

The others I haven't tried yet! Oh, and :lol: @ your perfect Vetiver description! That's like me and Tonka. It follows me around in the Chaos blends in particular.

AWESOME. :wub2: Vetiver doesn't do this to me but I love your analogy. The Secret History is a an amazing book that I make everyone I know read. My Bunny is caramel.

Shadwell's raincoat was all coconut to me. I'm glad you started this thread as I am not a fan of aquatics either.

We can start the "Anti-Aquatics Appreciation Society" :)

Hmm, now coconut raincoat I can do! I'm really thinking Shadwell is going to work. I seem to be on a lucky streak picking stuff at the moment, so I may go for it, straight into 5ml territory! Aziriphale is very tempting too.

I've read The Secret History SOOOOOO many times. I always try and get other people to read it and they never do! I'm always amazed by how much I forget, and I always enjoy rereading it, in fact I have read that book more times than anything else!

"Mad Sweeney: If you're not a fan of booze, you will not like this scent at all. I have an imp of it and would wear it on certain occasions... but not often, because I smell like I've had a questionable meeting with someone in the back of an Irish pub." :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know this is a thread about the Gaiman scents but you have me curious, now I want to read The Secret History. :rolleyes: Guess I am easily enabled when it comes to books!

Good luck with the search for the Gaiman scents :)

It's such a good book, have you read it before? Secret History scents would be interesting.

I must get my book back and have a think about the characters smells!

Wow I totally want to reread the book now. And a scent collection would be amazing. Camilla and Charlie could be a set and share a note (tea? since their place always had tea cups loitered about) in common. There could be a Bachanal scent with herbs, woods and blood. Totally! :wub2:

This one basically smells like barbecue. I know it will vary from nose to nose, obviously, but if you don't like smoke notes and will not like smoke notes, don't try this one. It is NOT subtle. And it has vetiver like WOAH.

It's a red musk. I think she usually means red musk by words like "infernal", and black musk is usually keywords like "swarthy". This one is masculine but very well-rounded and bordering on unisex. Lots of ladies love to wear it. It's not dark and cologne-like, it's light and sophisticated with a hint of earthy vanilla.

There is no cream or hint of creaminess in Famine, so it's pretty dissimilar from White Rabbit. :) If you've tried Eros (I guess not, since you don't like honey) it's the same tea note. Light, crisp, fragrant, clear, smooth. Like sniffing a canister of darjeeling leaves. (Famine is a little masculine but less masculine, by my standards, than Crowley. It's bright and a bit prim with a hint of smokiness.)

From what I recall of the reviews, Jasmine Cottage seems to appeal to a lot of jasmine haters. I think it must be a different jasmine note than is normally used. It's fresh and dewy. It's definitely noticeable in the blend, but it is a cottage garden blend, so it's not mega strong. This blend has a lot of greenery.

For me, I really didn't smell honey at all. Honey is just a coloring note in this, I think. The flowers, amber, leather, and wood are much stronger. So it doesn't have the sweet stickiness of many honey blends.

If you don't like aquatics, you'll want to avoid Shadwell. It was VERY aquatic for me (and I didn't like it). Also, the condensed milk and tea combination recalls White Rabbit.

This one is VERY musky with a whole lot of hot spice. It's worth trying an aged imp if you want to experience the muskiness at its best. Fresh red musk can be a little plastic, and IMO red ginger is best after being aged.

If you've tried Krampus, imagine that but made even more powerful. War means business. I thought it was a bit masculine, but again, red musk is a fairly bright and clean musk. It's not animalistic (and not manly in a 70s way), but it does have a bit of a wild power. It feels very flush to me. You know when you're so mad seeing red? Imagine that turned into a scent.

Don't be! It does have a faintly dusty edge but this is actually very effervescent and almost fruity. It's very golden and shimmering.

I haven't tried this one but I wouldn't expect it to be aquatic. It sound like a dry, light blend, with a hint of vanilla and musk.

In white rabbit, I wonder if you're smelling the linen note. It has a crisp, clean quality like aquatics, so perhaps they smell very similar on your skin. (For me, personally, white rabbit isn't aquatic, but the linen note is very strong.) The lab's paper note is a bit like the linen, so it might be a little iffy for you.

Edited by naeelah

This one basically smells like barbecue. I know it will vary from nose to nose, obviously, but if you don't like smoke notes and will not like smoke notes, don't try this one. It is NOT subtle. And it has vetiver like WOAH.

It's a red musk. I think she usually means red musk by words like "infernal", and black musk is usually keywords like "swarthy". This one is masculine but very well-rounded and bordering on unisex. Lots of ladies love to wear it. It's not dark and cologne-like, it's light and sophisticated with a hint of earthy vanilla.

There is no cream or hint of creaminess in Famine, so it's pretty dissimilar from White Rabbit. :) If you've tried Eros (I guess not, since you don't like honey) it's the same tea note. Light, crisp, fragrant, clear, smooth. Like sniffing a canister of darjeeling leaves. (Famine is a little masculine but less masculine, by my standards, than Crowley. It's bright and a bit prim with a hint of smokiness.)

From what I recall of the reviews, Jasmine Cottage seems to appeal to a lot of jasmine haters. I think it must be a different jasmine note than is normally used. It's fresh and dewy. It's definitely noticeable in the blend, but it is a cottage garden blend, so it's not mega strong. This blend has a lot of greenery.

For me, I really didn't smell honey at all. Honey is just a coloring note in this, I think. The flowers, amber, leather, and wood are much stronger. So it doesn't have the sweet stickiness of many honey blends.

If you don't like aquatics, you'll want to avoid Shadwell. It was VERY aquatic for me (and I didn't like it). Also, the condensed milk and tea combination recalls White Rabbit.

This one is VERY musky with a whole lot of hot spice. It's worth trying an aged imp if you want to experience the muskiness at its best. Fresh red musk can be a little plastic, and IMO red ginger is best after being aged.

If you've tried Krampus, imagine that but made even more powerful. War means business. I thought it was a bit masculine, but again, red musk is a fairly bright and clean musk. It's not animalistic (and not manly in a 70s way), but it does have a bit of a wild power. It feels very flush to me. You know when you're so mad seeing red? Imagine that turned into a scent.

Don't be! It does have a faintly dusty edge but this is actually very effervescent and almost fruity. It's very golden and shimmering.

I haven't tried this one but I wouldn't expect it to be aquatic. It sound like a dry, light blend, with a hint of vanilla and musk.

In white rabbit, I wonder if you're smelling the linen note. It has a crisp, clean quality like aquatics, so perhaps they smell very similar on your skin. (For me, personally, white rabbit isn't aquatic, but the linen note is very strong.) The lab's paper note is a bit like the linen, so it might be a little iffy for you.

Thanks for the great reply (and your superior editing skills!) The same ick note from White Rabbit is in Dormouse so I think it is the tea! I like Antique Lace which has linen so I am inclined not to think it is that.

The aquatics I think possibly comes form the papyrus, it's mentioned a bit in reviews. I still would like to smell it!