Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Windy Moon

Stinging wind whips past the trees, stripping the dead and decaying bark from their trunks. This is a time of renewal, both earthly and spiritual.

The scent of wind and wood, and the smoke of council fires burning in the distance.

The bottle is beautiful. It has very graceful appearing boats, over blue and violet text.

On fresh sniff and wet, this has a resemblance to but much softer opening akin to Thunder Moon. It's definitely a toned-down ozone. Wet, it's a fresh, crisp aquatic. As it starts to settle on the skin, there's a touch more 'ocean spray lemon,' which goes progressively more salty as the oil dries down. The snap of ozone remains although this is going more towards marine/fresh bright waters. This is ocean air on the East Seaboard, but only on a bright, sunny day. This is like what the area that inspired Kingsport would be with no clouds, bright sun, at high noon, light reflecting off the water. Very lighthearted, not somber or misty at all.

As it dries further, there's a touch more soapiness but overall it remains a more gentle marine aquatic.

I can see this being good summertime wear, for when you need something unobtrusive.

The color is like a light, bubble pale powder blue/teal. I think of Polo Ralph Lauren commercials when I smell this.

So I've been clicking my heels together happily ever since my bottle came in today and this is perhaps the one BPAL scent that even my mother has a hard time finding something to dislike about it. It strikes me as aquatic touched with ozone along with a dash of florals. It makes me think of taking a yacht out onto the ocean in the middle of the summer and stretching out for a nap in the sun while the waves lap gently at the side of the boat. It's very peaceful and light which wasn't exactly what I thought I was going to get. I was sort of hoping for the scent of charred wood. Instead my mind either conjures up the image of sunning on a yacht or standing in a forest in the middle of the winter only to find that the trees are a strange shade of gray and leafless at that and gnarled branches seem to reach out at you as the wind sways them. It's a very lovely scent and I'm glad to have a bottle of it.

I was insanely excited for the notes in Windy Moon when it went up, because it immediately made me think of Southern California's infamous Santa Ana Winds. I've been hoping for a Santa Ana-esque scent for quite some time, and while Windy Moon didn't explicitly call itself that, the combination of wind and dried-out plant matter and smoke meant nothing else in my mind. The actual real Santa Anas are not my favorite thing ever to experience, since they blow in all sorts of stuff that makes me sneeze, and since they start fires, but I'm totally fascinated by them as a natural phenomenon. Windy Moon was something I couldn't not try.

In the bottle: Sharp, chilly, and dusty.

Wet on skin: Still sharp and chilly, and while ozone is showing up, the dusty note is making the overall impression dry, rather than aquatic.

Drydown: Freshly dry is much like wet, though it's perhaps not as chilly. Definitely still sharp and dusty and airy, though. Not getting any smoke yet. By the one hour mark, it's still sharp but definitely much warmer than before. There's plenty of woody dust, and now the smoke is coming out too, though as more of a background than something dominant.

Five hours later: The whole thing has faded, but it's still present, and is similar in balance to the one hour mark: sharp ozone, dry woody dust, and a bit of smoke.

End of the day: The faintest hint of dusty wood remains.

Overall: Holy crap, totally lives up to what I hoped it would be! This really is the scent of the Santa Ana Winds! It's sharp and dry and carries plenty of dust and dead plant matter, with that little bit of menacing smoke rounding it out...it's pretty much dead on. This is the kind of thing that makes me go "uh oh!" when I step outside and smell it as the atmosphere, but I am incredibly excited to have the smell in a bottle. It can't hurt me in that bottle! I also think it's interesting that the ozone in here makes the scent sharp and biting without coming across as watery to me at all; I know other people in this thread have likened Windy Moon to an aquatic, but I really get no moisture whatsoever out of it, except perhaps when the oil itself is still wet on my skin. On my skin, it's all about the dry, blustery, and incendiary, which is all about a force of nature that I've come to know well. This scent makes me happy.

Edited by Seismogenic

This is a much brighter scent than I expected. I expected more of a dark, smoke filled aquatic, but this is actually much lighter and happier smelling than I expected. It's not so much the water itself, but the air and breeze coming off the water, mingling with flowers by the shore.

After it's dried down for a while it becomes just a touch darker as though the clouds were rolling in. Not stormy, but a bit overcast and threatening to rain.

It's very pretty and definitely reminds me of summer as opposed to a cold winter scent. It does go a touch soapy as most aquatics seem to do, but it's still very nice. :)

In bottle: Surprisingly floral, pleasantly green. It reminds me of honeysuckle. I do like the underlying woods, but the florals are overwhelming. Wet: It really does smell like early spring. It’s well blended and gentle. It’s lovely, but I was rather hoping for “The scent of wind and wood, and the smoke of council fires burning in the distance.” Sigh. I likely will keep it anyway, it’s that good, but I’m wondering if the bottle contents were incorrect. It smells nothing like the name and description and everything like a garden on a warm spring day. Dry: Some wood comes out on the dry down.

In the bottle: It's wet greenery and and the sharpness of ozone. Definitely more uplifting than moody so far as the evoked emotions go.

On wet: Light and a blend of florals and aquatics to begin with ... and a tang in the background--of what, I'm not sure. Ozone, possibly.

Drying: Getting the notes of woods and smoke now, though it's still quite gentle. I don't think I've tried any other scents with the smoke note before, but this is lovely.

Fully dry: This morphs a lot. The florals have mostly disappeared, and what's left is a dusty, smoky green scent. Beautiful and light. Puts me more in mind of mid-Spring than late Winter; but that's probably due to my locale and recent weather situation (New England and tons of snow, respectively).

781025768_MkoWP-Ti.jpg

wet, this has a top note very much like that of Dragon Moon 06 or Holiday Moon (bamboo perhaps?), enough so that I turned my bed lamp back on to check the label to be sure I hadn’t grabbed the wrong rollon!)..

But...the dry down is so wonderful! Under the bright first notes (hello, nice ozone rather than aftershave ozone!), there comes a dry, woody, hot note which speaks of seared summer landscapes rather than stormy spring growth. This dry heated wood smell is wonderful, and totally different from any other Lunacy I have in my collection. I love this. 4 of 5 stars

Edited by stellans

WOW

Loves it.

It's a blue and fresh aquatic, with some spicy pungency.

It's very woody too, almost lavendery.

It's fresh and clean and wonderful!

:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

I'm kicking myself for not obtaining more of this--I'm hoping more bottles will pop up on the forum after the Will Call.

The first time I put this on, the ozone took over completely and smelled like perfume for five minutes. You know, the kind that's pretty enough but just a little too strong--and which is usually being worn by the person sitting next to you in an enclosed space? Yeah. That perfume. I almost washed it off. And then the grass poked its head out and told the ozone to heel. And I spent the rest of the day smelling like ozone-y, floral-y grass. Yum. Windy Moon reminds me of both Stormclouds Over the Midway and Parsifal--but each element keeps the others in check so no one note overpowers the others. I love it!

I put it on again today, when my hormones are in full whacky swing...it started out smelling like ozone/floral/grass, but now smells like fabric softener. <_< But I have a Gaiman locket coming (!!!), so I know what will be one of the first things I try in the locket. Huzzah! :clap:

ETA: something resembling grammar.

Edited by Tracelina

Bottle: ozone. Totally get the crisp wind

Wet on Me: Wind and the wood is rising beneath it.

Drying Down: Wind and ozone and wood..but not a piney wood..a drier wood and the smoke.

Dry: ‘almost’ masculine. This is a dry crisp windy fall evening with a bonfire ritual in the woods. This is just calling to the autumn witch in me.

This was my first Lunacy! :D

In the bottle this is the clean smell of flowers on the wind after a summer rain-- not exactly what I was expecting, but pretty nonetheless. I get a similar feel as with The Witching Time of Night.

Once on the incensey note explodes.. now it's feeling like Temple of Auspicious Fortune minus the citrusy "dust" note. This dries down to a barely discernible incense smell-- vaguely floral. I get no smoke and no wood unfortunately.

In the bottle, this smells like smoky wood (mesquite bbq) and a salty, clean, ozone smell.

On me, this is definitely soapy at first. It makes me think of dryer sheets. It's also sort of salty and metallic smelling on my skin. As it dries down, the woodsmoke smell creeps back into the mix, anddoesn't smell like bbq anymore. The soapiness also calms down a bit.

Woodsmoke and salty, slightly soapy, cool ozone. It makes me think of a cold spring day, with a dying woodfire near a rocky shoreline and a blanket of fog rolling in.

Windy Moon isn't really my sort of fragrance. It's too clean/soapy. I love the label and do think that this is a very evocative scent, though.

This sounded so wonderful, I ordered TWO.

When it arrived, I was so excited. Twigs and wind and smoke, how could it get better than that?

I put it on.

I get flowers.

WTF??!?!?

Flowers?!?!?!?!

I put it in the back of my box, a dark, undisturbed place. I'm about ready to take it out and see what happened.

This one is a nice, hot ozone and wood blend. It's kinda masculine on me, despite the white floral edge it has. On wet, it had a more 'green grass' aspect to it that definitely morphed to 'hot fire air'.

Fun, but not my kinda of blend.

Definitely aquatic, so :wub2: for me! A bit of floral, a bit of grass, really like going outside right after the rain and standing near some flowers. Don't get any of the smoke :( but it's still a really nice and refreshing blend, will hold and love it!

When I first uncapped the imp, I swore there was a drop of civet in there :ack: Not sure what's giving me that faintly unwashed scent, but it's persistent. Wet, Windy Moon is really fresh & breezy, my husband's freshly- laundered undershirts drying on the line... The ozone/aquatic combo is akin to his deodorant, not quite my thing but not unpleasant...

Then it dries, and we veer into Ty-D-Bowl territory - "Ocean Breeze" scented toilet cleaner, with that undercurrent of... yeah. <_< Anyone who has lived/worked with men who tend to camp out in the bathroom for 45 minutes at a stretch & then try to cover up the lingering evidence will know exactly what I mean.

Such a shame. This stage is thankfully fairly brief, but it puts Windy Moon firmly in the swaps pile. The extended dry down is a very faint, much more enjoyable freshly-washed-sheets & sandalwood incense scent, but I really can't get past the middle bit...

Windy Moon

In the imp: fresh autumn leaves and pine, and something ozone-y and almost masculine.

Wet on skin: cologne! This smells like some kind of men’s deodorant scent now.

Dry: this reminds me of a cross between Nowhere in Particular and October or Meditation in Autumn. I didn’t like NIP at all, but this lacks the soapy scent I got there. What I do smell a lot of in here is masculine cologne or aftershave. It’s a very sharp and slick ‘sports deodorant’ scent, very piercing and cologne-like. However, I do smell some outdoorsy notes, something very reminiscent of tree bark as well as some pine or evergreen notes, and autumn leaves. Though I was expecting more of a cool bracing feel for the wind, I don’t really get that other than piercing ozone. (this ozone doesn’t smell soapy or electric.)

After a while: the scent loses that initial biting sharpness, but doesn’t lose that cologne scent. It does become woodier and I can smell dead leaves-this seems more fitting for autumn than early spring. It doesn’t have that same mossy scent that I got in October, but it’s very similar. It does have that ivy or vine-like scent from Meditation in Autumn, as well as the perfumey aftershave-ish scent. Though now I also smell something smoky, a little bit ashy, in here, as well as something dirty and earthy.

Verdict: not my thing at all! Instead of smelling like cool March wind blowing across bare trees, it smells like the scents I try to avoid in BPAL-masculine cologne, aftershave, and sharp, though thankfully not soapy, ozone. It does smell fresh, that’s for sure, fresh and bright and invigorating-but in a sporty men’s deodorant way, not a wind gusting through forests, though it does become more outdoorsy at drydown when I smell distinctly autumnal notes of dead leaves, tree bark and smoke. But I really don’t like the generic men’s perfume scent I get from here.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Visiting the Temple, Nowhere in Particular, Meditation in Autumn, October, Thunder Moon, Parsifal

This is probably one of my favorite lunacies. I don't know why it doesn't get more love.

I almost can't smell anything in the bottle.

On the skin it has an almost floral note (the wind?) to it. I get almost no smoke, which is a good thing. It is hard to describe this oil. Its a very light scent and a definate winner.