Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Batgirl

What is Chaos Theory?

I've looked all over for information on these, and I can't find it - and I'm insanely curious! The Chaos Theory oils were done before I started frequenting the forum, and I don't understand how they worked. Were these oils Beth had created previously (like prototypes) or were they new? Was there only one bottle of each number (for example, is there only one Chaos Theory V bottle floating around), did you get to specify what type of oil you wanted?

Details please! Though I'm so sad I missed this one...it sounds like it was fun...

They were Limited Editions...a few months ago? I don't remember exactly when.

You just ordered them like you would any other oil (but you did have the chance to let Beth know if there were any oils you were allergic to, so that she wouldn't use them in your blend) and then Beth mixed absolutely random one of a kind oils for us!

Mine is SO yummy.

No, it's not every year. I don't *think* we had Chaos Theories last year. :P It happens whenever it happens, and in the spirit of the whole thing, sometimes people buy one bottle, sometimes many. It's so random. :D I personally love that about Chaos Theory and tend to buy several bottles and decants. The idea of having something totally unique is really cool.

With the price of everything going up (gas, and therefore everything from the Lab's raw materials to packaging stuff I'm sure), we can't be sure how much the next round of CT's will be, but I'd venture a guess at around $18. Hope that helps!

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

No, it's not every year. I don't *think* we had Chaos Theories last year. :P

Nope, not last year. :D I wonder if we'll have it this year - it must take up a lot of time, and with the baby coming Beth must be pretty busy.

:P Newbie question: What are Chaos Theories?

No, it's not every year. I don't *think* we had Chaos Theories last year. :D It happens whenever it happens, and in the spirit of the whole thing, sometimes people buy one bottle, sometimes many. It's so random. :D I personally love that about Chaos Theory and tend to buy several bottles and decants. The idea of having something totally unique is really cool.

With the price of everything going up (gas, and therefore everything from the Lab's raw materials to packaging stuff I'm sure), we can't be sure how much the next round of CT's will be, but I'd venture a guess at around $18. Hope that helps!

I haven't been around for a live CT yet. I think my wallet would weep more if Beth did another one, than with any of the other updates. :P

steelxrose, CT addict

I haven't been around for a live CT yet. I think my wallet would weep more if Beth did another one, than with any of the other updates. :P

I feel exactly the same way!

CT intrigues me to no end.

vultureguy - Basically, the Chaos Theory blends are all labelled only with a number and there is only one bottle of each scent. That is, no two bottles are alike. The possibilities are endless, and since every bottle is unique which I think is cool. On the downside, though, if you get something that's truly wonderful, you know you'll never get more of it. So every time I get something, I hope I don't love it enough to crave more, and if it doesn't work for me, I'm always able to swap it. :P

I would love to see another round of Chaos Theories someday- my one and only bottle was lovely but too complex for my nose at the time, so I swapped it away.... and was swaplifted. Ah well! This community more than makes up for the nasties, and there's always the chance that chaos will reign again!

:P Thank you Honeycat. I'm glad I know now for next time!! And yeah, I think we'll need at least a bottle for each of us when that comes along next.
:D Newbie question: What are Chaos Theories?
Here's 2004: Chaos TheoryHere's 2005: Chaos Theory II: The Butterfly EffectHere's 2006: Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors2007: No Chaos Theory for this year
Thank you GypsyRoseRed :D They sound intriguing and heartbreaking at the same time. It is cool that each one is unique but I think about how I'd feel if my beloved Satyr was a once-only..... :) I'll have to get at least for my wife and I when it comes up next....at least. Should I run to the Talk Me Down thread now?????
vultureguy - Basically, the Chaos Theory blends are all labelled only with a number and there is only one bottle of each scent. That is, no two bottles are alike. The possibilities are endless, and since every bottle is unique which I think is cool. On the downside, though, if you get something that's truly wonderful, you know you'll never get more of it. So every time I get something, I hope I don't love it enough to crave more, and if it doesn't work for me, I'm always able to swap it. ;)

Sorry to bump an old thread but glad to see some of my Qs were answered here. I do have another Q.

why the spoiler text for these when they are for sale? I thought it was someone's mistake at first but now i see it too often. Is it a forum rule to not share your thoughts on these scents without the spoiler text? Is that so the buyer can be a little surprised if they want to be?

i got the impression that it was in case people wanted to be surprised when they received the scent. i've never really been certain either though.

It's not any kind of rule :D I think some people like to keep playing the Chaos game when they're swapping and selling/buying, so the spoiler tags just make it easy - if the receiver wants to be surprised, they are; if not, they can read the impressions the first owner had. Some people will link to their review instead and then the potentail swapper/buyer can choose whether or not to read it.

Thank gods I found this thread before posting a new one!!! :blush:

I'm necrobumping this because I have not been around for a live Chaos Theory, and we've had a wave of noobs lately who may come across a Chaos Theory or read about one/them and be intrigued.

I was frimped a Chaos Theory by a generous forumite, and had never tried one before. It's quite nice, I like it a lot! However, I was at a loss when searching for a review and list of notes for it, LOL!!! I still cannot ID it, it only says "Chaos Theory VII".

Thank gods I found this thread before posting a new one!!! :blush:

I'm necrobumping this because I have not been around for a live Chaos Theory, and we've had a wave of noobs lately who may come across a Chaos Theory or read about one/them and be intrigued.

I was frimped a Chaos Theory by a generous forumite, and had never tried one before. It's quite nice, I like it a lot! However, I was at a loss when searching for a review and list of notes for it, LOL!!! I still cannot ID it, it only says "Chaos Theory VII".

I don't think there has been a "VII" series yet... 2010's was VI, and there were four kinds - here's the listing from the Lab's "Shiny and New" page (nothing is removed from "Shiny and New" - It's a sort of history of LE releases)

Hail Eris! The time has come for this year's Chaos Theory!

CHAOS THEORY VI

Chaos is the score upon which reality is written. – Henry Miller

An old take on Chaos! A new take on Chaos!

This year, we are offering the traditional chaos of the original Chaos Theories, manifested as Eris’ Tilt-A-Whirl, and a new Recursive Self-Similarity series.

Each CT:6 scent under the auspices of Recursive Self-Similarity, has a base of one of the following scents, in wildly varying proportions:

Amber

Frankincense

Vanilla

From these bases comes a new series of flowing, fragrant fractals that emanate from these three roots. Random combinations of oils have been added to every individual bottle, retaining their sensitivity to their initial component, resulting in a truly unique blend that swirls merrily around its core oil.

This is an exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

Most common allergens have been omitted from the experiment. No pennyroyal, no nuts, no cinnamon, no cassia. Regardless, if you have any sensitivities, please do not participate in Chaos Theory. The contents of the oils are not recorded [that's the whole point!] and we will not be able to answer questions about specific bottles of CT:6 or guarantee that an allergen is not present in your order.

By purchasing CT:6, you agree to absolve Black Phoenix of any responsibility related to an allergic reaction to one of the oils in this series.

Please make a responsible choice, and use caution and discretion when ordering. This is intended to be a fun, exciting project. Please bear in mind that all Black Phoenix oils are made in an environment that contains nuts, both literally and figuratively.

We hope that you enjoy these scents as much as we enjoyed creating them!

CHAOS THEORY VI: RECURSIVE SELF-SIMILARITY V5

The Amber Series

CHAOS THEORY VI: RECURSIVE SELF-SIMILARITY V6

The Frankincense Series

CHAOS THEORY VI: RECURSIVE SELF-SIMILARITY V7

The Vanilla Series

CHAOS THEORY VI: ERIS’ TILT-A-WHIRL

Turbulent, disordered beauty: sensitive to initial conditions, topologically mixed, and approached by periodic orbits with abandon. A dynamical system expressed through scent.

All of the bottles have a number when they leave the Lab, but often they end up smeared/rubbed off/generally unreadable. The only way to get a review is if your CT bottle was decanted and other people have decants. Then you have to look under the reviews (under Limited Editions) for that Series for the bottle number that matches yours, but if the decanter couldn't read the number on the bottle, s/he may not have been able to list it on the decants.

There are no notes - as stated above, even the Lab does not keep a list. Part of the fun is the randomness, if you're into that.

Possibly you have a VI version 7, and the 7 looks like a 1? If you love it, enjoy what you have, because it may be all there is of it. :lol:

I stand corrected:

The label actually reads "Chaos Theory 2 CLVIII"

--Now what the hell is that?? :lol:

ETA: Nevermind, I found Chaos 2 in Reviews and figured it out.

Wow, these really are chaotic!!! LOL

And it's funny, I can almost trace the path that this oil has been on before me. And they got honey floral, or lavender, or lemon out of it. Funny, I get amber and pink musk out of it!

Edited by Lorna Brigid

And it's funny, I can almost trace the path that this oil has been on before me. And they got honey floral, or lavender, or lemon out of it. Funny, I get amber and pink musk out of it!

Heehee! Yay for differences in skin chemistry and the aging of oils.

I really hope that there is a Chaos Theory this year. I would love to see a musk series of these! Ooohh, a red musk one would raaawk!! :squee:

:eek:

Yes, please!

I'm another one who's never been quite clear on just what Chaos Theory was... until now! :) Now I'm hoping for a Chaos Theory VII this year, eep! A sandalwood series would be incredible, if there hasn't been one already. That, or a dragon's blood resin series... mmm.

I'm another one who's never been quite clear on just what Chaos Theory was... until now! :) Now I'm hoping for a Chaos Theory VII this year, eep! A sandalwood series would be incredible, if there hasn't been one already. That, or a dragon's blood resin series... mmm.

ooo, this sounds like so much fun! I hope they do it this year - and a sandalwood series does sound amazing!

ooo, this sounds like so much fun! I hope they do it this year - and a sandalwood series does sound amazing!

Sandalwood would be great but what of a chaos theory~.... Patchouli!