Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
suileach

Capricorn 2007

Cardinal earth: the essence of control.
Solomon's Seal, pine, amaranth, ambrette, cypress, wild tobacco, and hemp.

Capricorn 07
In the bottle: deep green pine with a bit of sweetness.
Wet on skin: mmm, pine needles and resin! Smells just like crushed needles in a summer forest.
Dry on skin: I like this! This is the kind of pine I hoped to get in TPd Trees. This is similar to Stranger in Camp, ie, a pine scent that is wonderfully sappy and doesn’t smell of disinfectant. It does have a hint of Christmas tree to it but it’s also got hints of warm summer pine, needles and resin. I can smell a bit of cypress too, I think the ambrette may be what’s making this smell sweet? Or is it the amaranth? I can’t smell the tobacco or hemp yet.
After a while: now the tobacco comes out, and it’s the lovely tobacco that I love from such scents as Hastur, Mr Nancy and Red Lantern. Not a sticky tobacco, or a heavily masculine one, or a burnt one, or one that smells of cigarettes, but one that smells of dry soft ashes which smell less like ashtrays and more like incense, and dry cigar tobacco. The tobacco note that I love most of all in BPAL, combined with that lovely pine note. Something about this almost reminds me of the smoky-musky forest scent of Hunter Moon, though with added evergreen notes. There’s a hint of soft, almost fuzzy sweetness to it as well. Softly smoky and earthy but not dirty.
Verdict: after Stranger in Camp, this is my second favourite pine scent from the Lab. This is a stunning pine scent, warm needles crushed underfoot and sticky sap oozing and exuding a resinous scent, and the cypress sap scent enhances that feel of evergreens on a summer evening, a scent that reminds me of many summer holiday memories. It’s one of those scents that transports me to a calmer place whenever I smell it. And it gets better, as the musky-sweet ambrette and the soft tobacco come out and mingles with the pine, at this point it reminds me of the smoky forest-musk scents, with a stronger emphasis on the forest scents than the musk, but with that same warmth and comforting base and a hint of almost incense-like smoke to it. I don’t have much in Capricorn but there is a Capricorn woman who plays such a big part in my life, this scent makes me think of the grounded, controlled and earthy aspects of the sign-I’m not sure she’d like this scent but at least I love it and will keep the bottle.
Emoticon rating:
Is it a keeper? Yes! This one surprised me so much, it’s lovelier than expected.
If you like this, try: Stranger in Camp, Mistletoe, Yule, Nocnitsa, Hunter Moon 07, Ivanushka

I'm a Capricorn, so I had high hopes for this scent.

In the bottle, this is subdued and woods-y, with a touch of pine, amaranth, and hemp.

On my skin, it's very well-blended - I definitely get the pine and the herbaceousness of the amaranth, but there's a lot more going on here in the background.

When it dries, it's mostly a very dry, sappy pine - there's just a foundation of ambrette's muskiness. This is one of the nicest woodsy blends I've tried - and I'm so glad it works on me, since I'm a Capricorn (and a control freak - Ha!). Glad I've got two bottles!

:P This is truly luscious on my skin! I'm a Capricorn moon and I needed a little creativity amp so I put this on before a concert and boy did it deliver! I don't know how BPAL can make a perfume smell warm and golden and then cool and outdoorsy all at the same time. A good whiff of pine like my beloved Talvikuu, but a mellow gentleness that will have me searching for a bottle very soon.

Wet: PINE! Slap-you-in-the-face pine.

First on: The pine mellows to blend in withthe rest of the scents for a more general outdoorsy scent.

Dry: Nope, the pine is back and now it's just a faint Pinesol. Disappointing.

This is pine like no one's business. It reminds me to the Black Forest - that same sticky, slight sweet pine but without the berries. There's something a little smoky about it (probably the tobacco) and just a whiff of hemp. Very green. Kinda woodsy.

me being a Capricorn, I had to have it, and I was not dissapointed. I love pine scents, but this one has some of that cypress resin scent and it's a bit sweet. Very nice, fresh scent, it makes me feel like I'm in a pine forest in the winter.

also, it does suit Capricorns, it smels of discipline and coldness, but in the end it's sweet. :)

Edited by milica

This smells like Christmas! It smells exactly like fir tree trimmings: evergreen needles with hints of bark and sap.

And it's STRONG, but in a fabulous way. I never wear pine perfumes and I love this. For the first 15 minutes or so, it reminds me strongly of Slobbering Pine, but without the aquatic element that makes that blend unappealing to me

Little by little, as it wears, the evergreen notes recede and let some of the other stuff through, and it becomes better balanced. The other notes provide an herbal quality, but brown herbs, if that makes sense. They provide an earthy base without actually smelling like earth. It's not a dirty scent like patchouli. The longer it wears, the more I smell the tobacco, which is sweet and rich, like pipe smoke.

So, in short this smells like: evergreen clippings, bark, sap, and pipe tobacco. It's rich, fragrant, and fabulous.

This a wonderfully masculine. It's a young man, mid-20's, comfortably off and confident in himself, who likes adventure. Not a current 20-something with his hair in his eyes and his shapeless pants hanging fron the tip of his dick :lol: but a man of my era, with a well-tailored casual 80's-style suit. He likes to parasail, to snowboard, has a smile for everyone he meets and is genuinely well-liked and respected by everyfrom from his parents to the guy who pours his coffee.

Pine, tobacco, to start. The pine steps back and becomes scruffy and vetiver-esque. Delicious on me, and probably exquisite on the right man. Whew!

Pine, resins and an overall feeling of cold. It is definitely woodsy, yet there is a touch of sweetness with the ambrette and wild tobacco. I love pine blends and this is no exception. It's resiny, kinda masculine and very comforting.

Source: Hiding in my box untested since 2007 (How is this possible?)

Wet: Thick, sticky pine.

Drydown: Slightly cool, faintly herbal, predominantly pine. No Christmas tree here.

Dry: Harvesting pines during a crisp winter wind. There isn't much change from the drydown stage.

Overall: Love. I think the lesson is that I should keep my collection more manageable so that gems don't slip my notice.